“Learn the history, have some fun, taste the beers.”

D.G. Yuengling and Son Brewery
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Pottsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: It was the year 1829 when Americans were getting used to their newly elected president, Andrew Jackson, that 23-year old David G. Yuengling, an immigrant from Wurttemberg, Germany, settled in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, and started a brewery. Originally named the Eagle Brewery, today the Yuengling pride, symbolic of the American Eagle. Each Yuengling label bears the eagle trademark chosen by young David Yuengling so long ago. Previously located on Centre Street, current site of Pottsville's after only two years of operation. A new brewery was then constructed on Mahantongo Street, where operations continue today. The brewery remains family operated by Richard "Dick" Yuengling, Jr. and his daughters are being groomed as the sixth generation.
Rochester, Minnesota
203 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 192 helpful votes
“Learn the history, have some fun, taste the beers.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

This has been one of my desires to tour this place for the past 20 years. I finally did it, and I was pleased. As stated on the website and in others comments, this is the oldest brewery in the Americas (1829). It is also the oldest US owned brewery as it is still owned by the original family. Unlike a few of the huge US breweries that have sold out to foreign interests. This isn't a large brewery and the tour is only 75 minutes, but the tour guides pack a lot of historical information, anecdotes, and funny stories in that time. Up and down steps quite a bit, so if you have trouble walking stairs it is not for you....do visit the huge gift shop packed with things to view and/or buy. Reasonable prices I might add.
You will see employees hard at work and they seem to enjoy it, especially the humorous brew masters. I have toured several breweries around the world, so the beer tasting is always fresh and delicious. You get two to try, so I recommend the Black & Tan.
I was surprised that there is no visitor parking, but I understand why. The brewery is extremely close ( like 2 feet) to a Catholic church (there is a tour joke about that)on one side, and in a residential neighborhood. Street parking is easy if you arrive for the AM tour. I would advise avoiding the Saturday tour because they say it is VERY busy, and the brewery is not running. We visited on a Friday and it was not crowded at all.
The walk through the caves under the building is exciting and they run horizontally into the hillside. Wonderful tour, great beer in the antique bar, and fun conversations if you engage the tour guides. Great old town, great old brewery.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank traveltheworld012

Hershey, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Best brewery tour I have ever been on”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Visited for the first time in early March 2014. This is the best brewery tour I have ever been on. We went on a Wednesday at 10 AM, so it was not crowded at all. The tour was excellent. You feel like you are walking right through history, and they allow you to get up close and personal with the brewing process. The tour guide and employees were all very welcoming and explained the process of brewing beer and the intricacies of each variety they brew. They give you two samples afterwards in the old lunch room. If you want any more than that, they can direct you to the local bars (Maroon's and Roma's were recommended to us. We chose Maroon's and enjoyed lunch there after the tour.) The gift shop is extensive. Apparently they are renovating the former dairy building across the street and will start the tours over there in the future. It will also house a museum type of room with old signage, advertisements, bottles, and cans (that are currently in the gift shop). Street parking is available, and there is a parking garage 2 blocks away (bring a few quarters...it's 50 cents for 30 minutes...and give yourself at least 2 hours at the brewery). I particularly enjoyed the autographed pictures of famous visitors to the brewery that were found in the hallways. Don't ever change, Yuengling....you do things the right way.

Visited March 2014
1,214 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 560 helpful votes
“Free But Crazy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

It was really hard to find this places as my GPS took me to the major factory outside town first and then to the old location just a few blocks away. But I found it and somehow actually found a place to park (it is in a neighborhood). The tour is free, but it was craziness. They cram as many people as they can in to each tour and have a lot of people walking through the old and new parts of their original factory. I must admit that I am not a beer drinker, but I enjoy the tours and the smell of the beer making process. If you have time, go, but try not to go on a weekend like me.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank jehenson81
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“AWSOME free Tour, Good part of History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

What can I say, this was awesome Id highly recommend it to anyone passing Remotely close to Pottsville Pa. It was one of the best Brewery Tours i Have been on.

Visited January 2014
Plainville, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Let me begin by saying I don't even like beer and I loved this tour! My husband and I made the pilgrimage to Pottsville as it has been a life long dream of his. I had no idea what to expect on this tour and I was interested the entire time. Our tour guide, Sharon, was energetic, excited and knew her stuff. Besides receiving a thorough tour of the facility, you'll learn about the Yuengling family, the history of beer production since the 1800's and how the beer is currently made. The only negative was that we visited on President's Day and the brewers were off, so we didn't get to see any of the equipment in use. I guess that means we'll just have to go back! Oh, and parking can be a little tricky. We parked in the church parking lot across the street.

Visited February 2014