“The Oldest, and still going strong for a reason”

D.G. Yuengling and Son Brewery
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Pottsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: It was the year 1829 when Americans were getting used to their newly elected president, Andrew Jackson, that 23-year old David G. Yuengling, an immigrant from Wurttemberg, Germany, settled in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, and started a brewery. Originally named the Eagle Brewery, today the Yuengling pride, symbolic of the American Eagle. Each Yuengling label bears the eagle trademark chosen by young David Yuengling so long ago. Previously located on Centre Street, current site of Pottsville's after only two years of operation. A new brewery was then constructed on Mahantongo Street, where operations continue today. The brewery remains family operated by Richard "Dick" Yuengling, Jr. and his daughters are being groomed as the sixth generation.
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Have you ever been to a brewery? I have now been to just 2. One in Canada and this one. As with most tours the key is the guide. Ours was par excellence. I think her name was Stacey. She was loud enough, clear enough, and informative enough. Hearing the story of the oldest brewery is what make this somewhat unique. Still family owned, handed down for 5 generations, while most "American"breweries have been sold to foreign companies. This was refreshing, yes including the tasting, and in such a nice small town, not a major city. Worth every minute. And no charge!

1  Thank DenHel77

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Living in California we're used to wine tasting but beer tasting? Yes! The tour was just OK but there's really not too much to work with.........old machinery is old machinery. But the free beer tasting at the conclusion was a very nice surprise. And the beer was even better than expected. Unfortunately Yuengling is not sold here in California.
If you have any physical challenges, this tour is impossible for you.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was my first time at a brewery tour. My girlfriend's beer of choice is Yuengling so we decided to stop on our way from New Jersey to Ohio. We arrived kind of early so we spent a while looking around the gift shop and museum. They had a good amount of merchandise and prices were fair. It was cool to see all the old bottles and cans on display all the way back to the 1800's. We went on a weekday so the site was actively working. While in the gift shop you could hear when they opened up the grain chute and all the grains sliding through the pipes.

I had known ahead of time that you must wear closed toe shoes so we were prepared but it was nice of the facility to have a stock of shoes you could borrow free of charge as well. Also the tour itself is free. You are led through some narrow stair ways and there is a bit of walking and you're taking into their old tunnels where they fermented the beer before they had refrigeration. So navigating around can be tricky especially when the guys are trying to work around you.

Our tour guide was awesome. She warned you of all the things to come and she made sure to point out things you might want to take pictures of like the murals painted on the walls above the kettles. I guess it wasnt a full tour because people who showed up after the tour started were allowed to join before we got into the working areas.

You see the huge kettles and the tank system where the beer is brewed. They take you to the storage area and outside toward the assembly line. They were currently running cans and you go to walk around the machine and see the process of filling the cans and prepping them for shipment and consumption. You're then taken into the tunnels below the brewery to see how things were done in the old days. The tunnels were all carved out by hand with pickaxes and such, no explosives. She also told us a lot about the history of the company and brewery which was interesting. Then you head back up to the old "break room" which is really more like a small bar lol.

At the end of the tour you each get 2 samples to taste if you like out of a good 6 or 7 choices. They also have birch beer for those who cant or dont drink. I dont know how other breweries do it but I enjoyed my visit and my girlfriend was very happy. We sampled some beer, bought some stuff from the gift shop and continued along our long drive to Ohio.

1  Thank Sonofbaldo
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Ok I think I could give this tour... We take friends and family here every time they come to town... We enjoy seeing the faces as they walk the brewery and hear the story of probation, oldest beer and the store of ice cream!! I am saying nothing more you will have to visit to hear the story. Remember no open toe shoes.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The tour was very nice and the tour guides were full of information and incredibly friendly. Our tour lasted about 45 minutes to an hour. The tasting was a bonus. The gift shop was nice and well stocked.

The tours do get very full, we were told many have 50+ in a single tour group. Make sure you wear closed toed shoes, as well.