“Outstanding!!!!”

Price range: US$18 - US$35
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Opened in 1989, Dans Restaurant has been well know as one of the best restaurants in Reading, PA. Now located at 2444 Morgantown Road, Dans at Green Hills serves a contemporary American cuisine with a French influence. Our goal is to provide a fine dining experience that is an alternative to the traditional Berks County scene.
Deptford, New Jersey
“Outstanding!!!!”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I went to Dan's on Saturday night for the first time. We made reservations for their new outside patio. Wonderful, wonderful experience. The outdoor patio is absolutely beautiful!! Kudos to the owners and all of the staff. They were all simply amazing!!! We had a fantastic time!! The food was delicious as were the cocktails. Do yourself a favor and be sure to dine at this fine establishment. You will not be disappointed!!! Cannot wait to go again!

• Visited September 2013

Furlong PA
“upscale”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I have enjoyed dinner at the old location a couple of times but this was the first time I tried the new location. I was with a party of ten... we were given our own room and they pushed tables together so we all sat around a large table to talk. The main dining room seemed to be at the back, with a lot of windows. I would prefer that for a small party.

Service is very professional and one of the owners was in the room often, pouring wine etc. When food came out they borrowed staff from other rooms so everyone got served together.

I had the mushroom soup and rack of lamb. This cut of meat is inherently very tender but this time it was exceptional. A couple other guys had steaks and most everyone else had various fish dishes. Everyone was well pleased.

Thanks to Dave M below for the tip about the poached cherries.... When I mentioned that it was recommended on Tripadvisor, about six people ordered it. Dave M was right . And the portion size was very reasonable... too many places serve a huge dessert that you have to split.

To address some of the other comments here, this may be "expensive by Reading standards", depending on what you compare it to. But to quantify, most entrees were in the high 20's, my rack of lamb was $32 or $34 as I recall. Considering the quality I have no problem with this. This pricing would be normal in Bucks County. The wine list did seem a little expensive.

To clarify about the ownership and location, according to their website, the "new owners" have owned it since 2006! They have been at this location for about a year.

Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013
Reading, Pennsylvania, United States
“WOW!”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

WOW. That really is the best word to describe this establishment. My wife and I went tonight for the first time. We've lived literally down the road from this place for almost a year now and had no idea it even existed until today. I had a delicious risotto followed by duck ravioli followed by a chocolate souffle. All three courses were absolutely perfect. My wife had foie gras followed by rack of lamb followed by bing cherries poached in raspberry sauce over home made almond ice cream. She couldn't stop raving about anything she ate either.

Not only was the food out of this world, but the service was the best we've ever had, anywhere, hands down.

If you live anywhere remotely near the area, do yourself a favor, and go eat here. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited July 2013
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Great food; otherwise not special”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We were big fans of Dans from the 'old days' of previous location and previous ownership. This was our first visit to the new location at the site of the former Green Hills Inn.
The building is very old and seemed just a tad musty.
The menu selection is appealing and the food preparation, delivery and taste were excellent. Prices are on the high side for this area, but not out of line for a 'fine dining' experience. Service was OK, not outstanding.
My wife noted that some details, such as glassware quality, did not measure up to previous standards.
The host/manager may have been having a bad day......he did not exude the positive energy or personality that are welcoming and encourage return visits.

• Visited July 2013
Oakland, California
“Delicious meal in a beautiful setting”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We recently dined here with a group of long time friends from our college days. The restaurant itself is very charming and the grounds of the restaurant were lovely. The service was prompt and gracious throughout our meal. And the food, it was delicious from the first bite to the last. I live in California and was surprised to find such an extensive wine list in Berks County. It was also a very welcome surprise to have such a well thought out list of French wine to enjoy.

I traveled from California and was very happy to find foie gras on the menu. My mouth waters now remembering how it melted on my tongue. My partner had the mushroom soup with ham. I had to beg for a spoonful because he was enjoying it so much. My entree was a veal chop which was cooked to perfection as were the other entrees my friends selected. Be sure to save room for the creme brûlée. It was worth every calorie.

• Visited June 2013