“decent value, but older hotel”

and 1 more site!
Abraham Lincoln Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This hotel is unique in Reading in that it's located downtown and is an historic property (built 1930). The lobby is quite lovely. But the rooms could use some updating -- they were clean enough -- just older, and definitely not luxurious (eg: fiberglass tub with plastic wall panels). It's certainly not a 4 star hotel -- barely a three, in my opinion. Parking in the adjacent garage is convenient (we paid $6 for a come and go plan). We paid $79 on a weekend night, which was a lot less than the newer hotels on the outskirts of the city.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 July 2011

Room 1814, two nights.
Room in good repair.
Very spacious bathroom - ADA compliant, nicely equipped.
Our room was clean, as was the entire facility.
I see some on this site complaining that the "building "is old".
Yes - it was not built in 2009 - it is a historic property, do they understand what that means?
All of the staff were very helpful and seemed interested in us.
Parking on site was very conveinent and very safe.
We parked at the hotel and were able to walk to the Sovereign Center for our convention in a 10 minute walk.
Two shortcomuings that I noted.
I feel that the buildings old inefficient windows need to be replaced with more modern energy saving windows (they might even be able to get a government grant to help with this), and also- there was no literature in our room about the hotel's facilties.
If in Reading again next summer - we will definately be looking to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cakes77
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed on the 14th floor. The room was comfy and clean. Lots of pillows on the beds. Microwave and mini fridge in the room. Free wifi.

There was a loud noise and we called the front desk. They sent someone to check. No more noises after that. The tub didn't drain good on the first night. We had maintenance check it out. All good after that.

The downfall was the parking in the city garage and having to pay for it. The first night, we paid $6.00. The 2nd night was a Friday and we only had to pay $2.00.

Overall, it was a good place to stay for the 2 nights we were in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank w_ma_lady
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We recently stayed here for a family event and I was very pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the hotel and its amazing value. I would not want to stay anywhere else in Reading. The free wi-fi was great, the hotel staff was very friendly, professional, and prompt, and the room was nice.

Room Tip: rooms ending in 02 are corner kings
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Therealness
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Be aware with the bathtub water , I was taking a shower and when I open the hot water in floor 16 I got Brown water all over my body. Prepare to pay for the parking since the parking is owed by the city. Food is greasy. Service is good and Hotel after 80 years old looks great.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Our group loves to visit and dine in historic buildings. When we heard of the Abraham Lincoln, we thought it would be a great venue before seeing the local sights. Wrong. Our first clue should have been: no patrons on a Saturday night. The menu had four entrees, no specials of the evening. No one was there to greet us so the bartender seated us at a table that was not set. The waiter sauntered out, slapped menus down and said he'd be back. When he returned one of the gentlemen in our party asked if there were any of the entrees that were considered a "special" of the house. The waiter commented that none of the dishes were specials but the last chef, who just left, had make specials but "we dont do that anymore." Everything went downhill from there. Food was mediocre - what you would expect for seminar food. The bill was brought without having the table cleared, nor were we offered dessert and coffee. We asked to the have the bill split in half for two credit cards and the two checks were not even - apart by $10. Bottom line - go somewhere else....the Peanut Bar or head to West Reading.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I know you're thinking "aniquated?", it's historic, it's supposed to be antiquated right? I get that with the structure, but this place took it to another level. First off, I read on their website that all of the rooms had 32"flat screen TVs and that it was a 4 star hotel. Not only did they not have a 32" flat screen in ANY of the rooms, but they were old TUBE tvs, not even flat screen tubes, but tubes from like the 80s. The cable was going in and out the whole time. The same goes for the computer screen in the so called "business center". That's a joke. Tube monitor as well with one computer and a printer. I'm sure they could pick up a flat screen monitor on craigslist for $10.

The entire hotel was EMPTY and very dark. The carpet in rooms, elevators and common areas was very old and dingy looking. Like another reviewer said, I wouldn't walk barefoot in this place at all. Some highlights were that the bed was comfortable and the shower was clean. No complaints there. But there is a lot more negative things to write about.

I always like to iron my shirts before my business meetings, but when I got the iron out, half of the sole plate was covered in black stuff making it not usable. I then proceeded to the restaurant for breakfast. NOT A SINGLE PERSON WAS IN THERE. Seriously, no one was at the host stand, so I proceeded to walk around the entire restaurant and the bar. Nobody. So I went into the ktichen--nobody. I had to walk back out to the front desk to have them get somebody. What is going on with this hotel? IF you have to stay in Reading, PA, I would pick any other hotel. It has to be better than this one. And skip Reading all together if you can and stay in neighboring Wyomissing. Their hotels are much, much better for the business traveler.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank happytray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Reading
Days Inn Reading Wyomissing
Candlewood Suites Reading
Candlewood Suites Reading
#1 of 2 in West Reading

Been to Abraham Lincoln Hotel? Share your experiences!