“Really enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abraham Lincoln Hotel

Abraham Lincoln Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Reading
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Really enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We rented one of the apartments for a month (June 2014) and they are somewhat old, but very spacious, clean, and we had a great bed. Flat screen TV. The kitchen had the basic tools, pots and pans, coffee maker, plates, flatware etc. The bathroom was huge (we had the handicap access one), and we had a comfortable stay. Cleaning came once a week, but we could exchange the towels any time we wanted. At some point our AC broke down during a heat wave, and we were moved to a hotel room, which had been renovated already, and it was definitely Wyndham worthy. We then moved into another apartment, which was also a corner unit, and very spacious. The hotel is old (historic), and is being renovated, so it should be up to par soon. We thought we received good value for the month. The staff is the nicest staff I have ever seen in a hotel, and they go out of their way to make things good for you. The bar/restaurant was historic too, good live music on many days, decent prices and the brand new food menu was very nice.
I am glad they are renovating the building, because it has good bones, personality and space. I hope they improve the very basic gym too. If we had to be back in Reading, we would definitely stay there again. No regrets.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

My Name is LaTonya Lewis, I have been a guest at the Abraham Lincoln Hotel in Reading, PA for 28 days here on business, my first week here was not the best the hotel had a lot of work going here thing was not in working order but the thing that really stood how here no matter How much I complained the staff remained very professional and make sure that I was very comfortable with all the work going on around me. Today I have to say they have put this place in tip top shape it is one of the best places I can said I ever stay, the staff is very very polite friend and is there anytime you need them, the restaurants ( the Chef ), Housekeeping, Maintenance, Receptionists and Management all are awesome, all have done a well job of keeping this place running so well. My stay here have been a wonderful experience. This is a very Beautiful Hotel with Beautiful staff They are a family here.. The Abraham Lincoln Hotel have come a long ways in 28 days and they got the job done.... I am very please with the service here. I give them 5 stars.....

Room Tip: I was in room 1714 my room had a great view of the city.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bond L
InnsOfDistinction, General Manager at Abraham Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Bond L,

Thanks for staying at the Abraham Lincoln Hotel, Reading's only Historic Hotel of America. We appreciate your selecting us and for staying with us for almost a month!

We also appreciate your gracious comments, especially that our "staff is very polite", that your "stay here has been a wonderful experience" and that you love our staff so much you would "give them 5 stars"!

I am please you have stayed with us and have told the world how wonderful things are in Historic Reading...

THANKS

PC
Dover, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Well although some say first impressions are everything, I tend to believe everyone deserves a second chance..
My first 2weeks were really trying and it was hard for me to understand how things were being dealt with, however during that time #1 housekeeping very welcoming with open arms and sincere hearts, My Favs: Rosa Ortiz and Liz (Elizabeth Vasquez)...and then front desk lots of laughs and love from Natalie Correa and good ole' Elmer Turpin...They may not know it but with their patient spirits and kind words they've humbled my emotions and with me having to stay at the hotel as long as 3months on business I must say they all have put in hard work and dedication to making sure that things that needed to be corrected were getting it's attention and they knew the right people to get the job done, THEM... So I Thank each and everyone of you for caring enough for your job for it is your second home and caring enough to make sure that the visitor staying at your home were to be taken good care of and made comfortable... This is Family now...Love Tai (smiling)

• Stayed June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ontario, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was very hesitant to write this review as I am not sure if my experience is unique or the norm. I don't like the thought of rating a hotel so low just because of one bad egg, however I feel compelled to share my experience.

My wife and I planned a historical road trip from Ohio to Massachusetts. We had several stops and were trying to find a perfect place to stay between Sleepy Hollow NY and Hershey PA. We decided Reading would work out good and when I found the Abraham Lincoln I thought this is perfect.

We left Sleepy Hollow a little later than we expected but we still should have gotten to the hotel at a decent time. We ran into some very unexpected traffic and construction that delayed us several hours. We didn't even reach the hotel until midnight. I was disappointed because of how early we had to get up in the morning and how we really wouldn't be able to enjoy the hotel. When we finally found the right door to enter we walked up to the check in desk. The lobby itself was absolutely beautiful and had several nice areas to sit and had a second floor with an equally beautiful bar room. This is the only thing we were impressed with.

The front desk was empty. There was a wedding party and a fraternity there that night so there were quite a few people walking around. Too many people in my opinion to have the front desk unmanned. My wife and I stood at the desk with our luggage for at least half hour until an employee showed up holding a pillow and a blanket. He did apologize and he said he was the only one there that night. With a hotel this size how is this even acceptable or safe? We understood his dilemma and accepted his apology. He gave us our keys and up the elevator we went. When we got to our room there was a do not disturb sign on the door handle. Part of me thinks this might have been forgotten which in itself would be hard for housekeeping to do and the other part of me doesn't want to bust in on someone else's room at 1230 in the morning. Needless to say we tried the keys anyway, several times, and they did not work.

We headed back down to the lobby and surprise surprise the front desk was empty again. After waiting another half hour we decided to make the best of it and went to the bar. At that time the bartender called last call so that put a damper on that situation. I walked all over the hotel trying to find the attendant with no luck. We were going to ask the bartender but initially didn't because he seemed extremely overwhelmed. After dealing with a frat and wedding party this is very understandable but after 45m we finally asked him what to do. He apologized several times and was very sympathetic. He had to call his manager who then had to call the employee on his cell phone. 15 minutes later the elevator opens and out walks the employee with what seemed to be his girlfriend. His shirt was clearly disheveled and he walked her out to the door and went back to the check out desk (we are now assuming what the pillow and blanket he brought up earlier were for). At that point my wife and I were fuming but we just wanted to go to bed because we had to get up early and had a long day ahead of us. He didn't even apologize or try to explain his absence but said the room was empty and the cards should have worked. At that same time another guy came down to the lobby saying his cards didn't work either. He gave us both new cards and up we went.

I could hear the guy down the hall saying his card still did not work, but ours did that time. We finally entered our hotel room ready to crash. The room was interesting. There was a desk and a pony wall between the bed and entry area which did look nice. The TV was enormous which was nice, even though we weren't going to be watching any TV. All that being said the entire entry area where the desk and dresser were was covered in a huge stain. This stain literally covered most of the floor in that area. It was a little disturbing, and to top it off the toilet would not flush. If the hotel is ok with this what else are they ok with. At this point it was past 130 in the morning and we just wanted to crash. The bed seemed ok and we crashed, woke up and got out of there as soon as possible considering the little amount of sleep we had gotten.

I've stayed at many hotels and have had good and bad service but none of them come close to this. I am sorry if this was an odd occurrence and not the norm but all of these things were still unacceptable and put a huge damper on my families vacation. As I said before I am hesitant to complain but I am debating on forwarding this to the Better Business Bureau.

Room Tip: Rooms at a different hotel would be advised.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Cody C
Vanessa S, Manager at Abraham Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Cody,

First let me express our sincere apologies to you and your wife. We are very disappointed that you had a negative experience with our hotel. We will be addressing the staff that you encountered and will make sure that this does not happen again. I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your historical road trip.

We want our guests to enjoy their time here with us. It saddens me to know someone did not have a pleasant stay. I would love the chance to speak with you personally so that we can discuss this further. If you could email me that would be much appreciated.

events@abrahamlincolnreadinghotel.com

Vanessa

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Brandenburg, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I made my reservation and was so looking forward to this hotel since I love old places. When I saw it was connected with wyndom I thought it would be great. The lobby was beautiful, but that was all that was beautiful. The room seemed clean but was not impressive. The lamp had a lamp shade on it with holes in it and the carpet was buckled. Kinda seemed like a not so great area of town either. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a friend.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Tara E
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Our school used the hotel's grand ballroom for graduation and a dinner for VIPs. The ballroom was impeccable and the service...outstanding! The hotel is being quietly renovated from top to bottom and believe us, it is worth the wait!

Room Tip: Rooms are a good size and are being refurbished with new furniture and amenities...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have stayed here for a number of times within the last few months. The staff has been fantastic and the rooms have been very nice. It has the classic appeal of an older hotel and history not necessarily found in this day and age.They have been going through improvements and rennovations none of which impacted our stay but you can obviously see the improvements time after time. The bar/reasturant has had an excellant fare even with the rennovations ongoing to their Kitchen and dinning area. They have welcomed any comments and sincerely asked if there is anything they can do to improve our stay. We will continue to use this facility as we travel to the Reading area over the next few months.

Room Tip: We have found the rooms on the 15th floor include a second seating area with business work station t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Vanessa S, Manager at Abraham Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Dale,

Thank you very much for the wonderful and thoughtful review! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here at The Abraham Lincoln Hotel. We look forward to having you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Reading
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wyomissing
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
Crowne Plaza Hotel Reading
#1 of 7 in Wyomissing

Been to Abraham Lincoln Hotel? Share your experiences!