“Great place to bring a prostitute or to do a drug deal” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Econo Lodge Northeast

Econo Lodge Northeast
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Reading
nyc
“Great place to bring a prostitute or to do a drug deal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2008

This hotel was the worst place I have ever stayed. It was disgusting. There were people barbequing in the parking lot until 3 in the morning. The bathroom ceiling was full of mold and I think bugs were nesting in there too. The bathroom walls were bear unpainted sheet rock. There was no towel rack. The TV didn't work.
The beds were filthy. I slept on top of the comforter. I felt dirty coming out of the shower. The only good thing about this hotel was that they allowed me to check out after staying one night when I had prepaid for three and they refunded me the balance of the money. If you must come to reading there is a much cleaner Comfort Inn down the block or down the road in Wyomissing, a 5 minute ride away, there was a large selection of decent hotels.

• Liked — My refund
  • Disliked — The filth
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank acc0rdNyc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2008

Dirty...Dirty...Dirty!!

I went out a bought sheets, pillow and blanket for the bed. Their linen looked terrible. It looked as if someone just got off of the sheets.
The towels were old and nasty.

There was no alarm clock, no iron, no hair dryer, and I think that the advertisment included all of the above. I have never been in a hotel room that did not have an alarm clock!!

The only good thing about this place is that they except animals.

But I had to worry about my dog catching something from that dirty carpet.

• Liked — they excepted pets
  • Disliked — cleaniness
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2007

Price was right and it was mostly clean and quite..Did hear from a friend on the second floor his room wasn't clean. A bit of a problem checking in as they had a rate $11.00 more per night and ended up charging me $2.00 more than my confirmation said..Suggest you bring a copy if you book online..Breakfast was decent with juice , good coffee , pastry , fruit and cereal ..I'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank randy4cc
Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2007

I was a bit wary of booking this hotel after reading a couple of the bad reviews but I figured I would go with the most recent review which turned out to be right on. The room my mom and I shared was clean and the beds were comfortable. Some things were a bit worndown but overall I was quite pleased. The woman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was basic (cereal, muffins, juice) but satisfying, the hotel is in a good location very close to a mall and the VF Factory Outlets, and we got a great price on the room. The next time I visit Reading I won't hesitate to stay in the Econo Lodge Northeast.

• Liked — Great price
  • Disliked — I wouldn't have minded a few more choices at breakfast.
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lisa D
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2007

We were not sure about staying at this motel considering all the bad things we heard about it but it was the only place left to go. I enjoyed my stay very much so and would stay there again anytime. Guest service(Rita) was great at check in and I was checked in fast. Manager was very polite. I would surely stay here again.

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank Mydestiny552
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2005

When I found I had to be in the Reading area a day earlier then I expected I booked this room for $44 through the Choicehotels site. I chose this motel because the close proximity to the JC Penny Outlet Mall and reasonable distance to Cabela's.

I called the hotel directly twice to make sure my room would be held as I would be a late arrival at 11:30PM. I was assured the lobby was open 24 hours and my reservation was secure due to my credit card.

When I arrived at the motel there was very little if any lighting in the parking lot with the exception of one large light at the front. The office was closed however there was a security window for check-ins. The buzzer at the window didn't work so we knocked on the door for about 10 minutes (while being bug bitten under the one big light) before someone finally came. I filled out the check in card and my drivers license/credit card were photocopied.

We walked to our room (which was 10 doors down from the office) in the dark parking lot. I did NOT feel safe.

The room itself was large with old well worn furniture. The beds were down to the springs and the pillows just as bad. The room itself was as clean as could be expected for the age/condition. Luckily we didn't see any bugs, although I would not have been suprised if one had surfaced.

Although check out was not until 11am the maid began knocking every half hour starting at 8:30 am. The front desk began calling starting at 9:30 am asking if we were checking out.

When I returned my key to the front desk another guest was arguing at the lobby about their room. He was smirked at as he left. I asked for a receipt and the return of my photocopied credit card. I was told I was given a receipt at check-in. I too was sneered at.

I voiced my concerns in a followup email sent by Choicehotels. They never followed up; therefore, I will not stay at a Choice property again.

There are plenty of other hotels in this area to choose from and I recommend spending a few dollars more to stay in the Papermill Road area. It is so much cleaner and safer.

• Stayed May 2005
14 Thank Lisa_1964
Also consider these accommodations in or near Reading
Comfort Inn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Reading
Inn at Reading
Inn at Reading
#4 of 7 in Wyomissing

Been to Econo Lodge Northeast? Share your experiences!