“Mix of Good and Bad, Buyer Beware” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mill Bridge Village & Campresort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ronks
Mill Bridge Village & Campresort
Northern Virginia, USA
“Mix of Good and Bad, Buyer Beware”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Let's get the good things about Mill Bridge out of the way first:

- Friendly, helpful staff. Had no problems with our late arrival -- everything was taped to the office door waiting for us. As others have noted, great with kids too.
- Location. It really is close to Lancaster Valley attractions like the Strasburg Railroad, Dutch Wonderland, etc. while far enough away that you don't feel surrounded by tourist mania all the time. Our camp site was right next to the pasture where the Amish farmer kept his draft horses, which all of us enjoyed.
- Shop. The camp store has a nice mix of things that campers need, and the prices were only slightly higher than what we would pay back home. They sold us a single stick of butter and a can of fuel to finish a pan of half-scrambled eggs, and it was fast enough that they didn't even cool down.
- Playground. A modest little playground, but my kids loved it, so I will let them be the judges on this.

Now for the criticism:

They really need to pay more attention to the claims they make on their web site, because I assume a good portion of their campers will learn about them through this. What happened to us bordered on fraudulent, and if more money had been at stake I would have complained to the Better Business Bureau. Their web site has a coupon for "buy 2 nights mid-week in Spring and Fall, get the 3rd night (mid-week, Spring and Fall) free". It had disclaimers about not being valid with other discounts or on holidays -- but no other disclaimers. We made (and paid for) a reservation through the web site that fit this description exactly -- Tuesday through Thursday in early April. I called minutes after I made the reservation and asked about how it worked, "Hey, I just reserved for the 3 nights and was charged for all 3. How do I get my 3rd night free, like the coupon says?". I was told "Don't worry about it, we'll take care of it when you get here." Naive, I know -- I should have gotten a name, and something in writing. Wednesday morning we changed our plans, and decided to go home that night rather than stay over until Thursday morning. I went to the office and explained the change, and asked to get my money back for the 3rd night -- so I would be getting it free as the coupon said -- because we would be leaving after the office closed on Wednesday. I was told, "Oh, sorry, that doesn't apply to reservations paid for over the Internet." Huh? The offer is MADE on the Internet, but can't be USED on the Internet? "You should have called the office and reserved over the phone. Then we would have just charged you for 1 night as a deposit and you could have used the coupon." Great -- except for the fact that the web site (while it has a phone number) has two links that breathlessly say "Click Here To Make Your Reservations Online!" -- and not a peep that you will be (1) paying more, with service charge to their 3rd party reservation service, and (2) disqualifying yourself from the discounts they offer elsewhere on the site. The clerk pointed out that they don't even process the online registrations. I had noticed that, when the address bar changed on my browser, but I'm sorry -- when I return a pair of pants, L.L. Bean doesn't explain that they can't refund my money because I paid with a Visa card, so it's technically Visa taking my dollars. A merchant's relationship with his bank, credit card processor, reservations service, ISP, whoever is his problem -- not the customer's. Hair splitting to avoid honoring offers you have made never looks good. In the end they refunded 50% of the charge for our last night, on the grounds that we were checking out early.

Unfortunately, the "bait and switch" doesn't stop there. The first page of the web site (top center) has a big picture of the "Pool Complex" just below "Open All Year" (in a little explosion). We all brought our bathing suits, and the kids were asking "can we go to the pool?" as soon as we got on site. Well, there is a heated pool (nothing "complex" about it, just a pool with a fence around it out in the parking lot), but despite daytime temperatures in the 70s, the water won't even be delivered for until mid-to-late May. So there is a pool -- just not one you can use for more than 50% of the year.

So, my advice is to be sure you talk to someone -- get their name -- about the situation you will ACTUALLY be facing -- what price you will pay, what amenities are open or closed during the days you will be staying. Maybe get it in writing too. Or you could just stay somewhere else.

Other, more minor issues:

The sites are small, and very close together. This was not an issue when we were there -- they might have been 20% full, if that. But if you like your privacy, Mill Bridge might be a bad choice during a busier season.

They say that they have WiFi, and we could see they had 2 networks, but the login information is not included in anything they give out at registration, so we weren't able to actually use it (sort of a theme with this campground, isn't it?)

At night there is a surprising amount of distant highway noise (US Route 30, I'm guessing), but I think most campgrounds in the area would suffer from the same.

To sum up: We had a good stay, and we would consider going back. However, we would do things differently, and would be less trusting next time.

Room Tip: Look at the map if you have a preference -- some rooms are stream-side (not a good choice with small...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

I've been caming for well over 30yr. From camping off horse back to tent camping ,and now a Travel trailer. We have two little ones and it is nice to be able to let the kids runn. I really feal that this camp ground is great for familys of all sizes. Its not a very big camp ground at all but its big in heart from most of the staff to the amish that come by every weekend.My family and I have been going there off and on for two years and never had any problems with the staff.There great with the kids with all the activitys ( Game Rm needs Help) from spring to fall there allways some thing for the kids to dew. For the naa sayier who think camping next to a working Amish farm was going to smell like roses (go scracth).I think its amazing that people
???? Use your own jugment. There alot of camp grounds out there and we like this little one.. Camping along the creek is the best. sites could be bigger for the RVs TT but all in all great spot

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
South Central, Pa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Overall would be a great campground if they elliminated 25% of their sites and not be so greedy! The sites were smack dab on top of the next person and our site was on right on the road, we were facing it and all the cars and people walked right by= no privacy! Also we had campers constantly walking through our campsite so they could hang out with their friends that were behind us=no privacy again! The stench of camper waste or farm was so disgusting the first 2 nights I thought I was gonna get sick! The first night we had a mini picnic table, they brought us one and were nice about it was annoying until got us new one! The way the other campers on last row next to field were facing us and is them was ridiculous !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at the map before go and try to get a stream site behind the office, u should get wifi there and they are nice sites!!! What did we like??? We liked the pool even tho it was small and slimy, we like the grain mill, the covered bridge, the gazebo and we love the location near awesome outlets, the Amish stores etc! We like the camp store, its ridiculous they close so early, we needed fire wood and it was 7:05 and they were closed, that's crazy! We would stay here only if on the stream! Oh and the game room the games and pool table were out of order!!!!

• Stayed September 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stay here every year with several other families, and it's always a good time! From the pool kid games, to fishing, to bingo, to peaceful campsites by the stream.

It's true it's a little campgound but the staff is friendly and great with the kids.

1 Thank MommaCamper
Glassboro, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Read the rest of the reviews they are accurate. Cabin was nice and clean, and there is a TV, cooking utensils, which made life easier. Area is great and my kids had a very good time, there is not much in the way of activities. Pool is fine, game room needs some work. It was quiet and overall we had a very good time.

Room Tip: If not in a cabin, do not get a site in parking lot
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank swimcoach111
Barto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

We recently visited this campground and were not reluctant to go to this particular campground based on all the bad reviews but it was too late to turn back. The campground is in Dutch Country and is close to shopping and Lancaster attractions. The sites were small however it is a smaller campground. There were no real activities for the kids, the pool had tons of hair and grass floating around and the bath houses were dirty and outdated. The staff were friendly despite the store and office closing early on Sat night ( not good when its 100 degrees out and and you need ice every 2 hours) we camped with other family members so the campground was tolerable. We camp many times throughout the year and this was one of the worst campgrounds we've visited in a while.

1 Thank sweis24
wilmington, delaware, usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed in one of the cabins. It exceeded my expectations. It was very clean. Everything stated was provided, microwave, toaster, coffeemaker. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Would definitely return!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ronks
Fulton Steamboat Inn
BEST WESTERN PLUS Intercourse Village Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN PLUS Revere Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn, Inn & Suites Ronks
Red Caboose Motel, Restaurant & Gift Shop

Been to Mill Bridge Village & Campresort? Share your experiences!