“A fun day at the track”

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I wrote a story for my blog about my day with the Rusty Wallace Racing Experience at Motordrome Speedway in Smithton, PA ( http://inquisineer.blogspot.com/2013/10/racing-school.html ).

Reviewed 30 September 2013

This review is for the Smithton, Pa. racetrack.
Overall I would say the experience was OK. All drivers are given a 'crash' course on the 'do's and don'ts' of driving. Safety is stressed greatly, as it should be. The trainer was very nice and reminded us many times that he could pull us off the course if he felt that we were doing anything dangerous. We mosey down to the track and put on fire suits. Grab a helmet and wait your turn. I chose not to purchase the video package so I was paired with people that also didn't want it on video. 5 cars at a time on the very short track. I would say less than a mile. Here's a link to see a picture. http://www.motordrome.com/track.asp They take a picture of you sitting on the door, which they will later mount on a nice plaque and charge $50. My wife made me buy it. Get in the car and the technician reviews the safety features like the seat belt, steering wheel and ignition switches. They give you ear pieces that you have to wedge between the helmet and your ears. All the drivers have one way communication with the spotter. He talks and you listen. I initially purchased 10 laps on Livingsocial but was offered at the track an additional 5 laps for $40. The first thing I noticed was that the windshield on my car was very scratched which made it very difficult to see due to the setting sun, when exiting turn 4. I would say that coming out of the turns, one could have the pedal down for only 2 seconds or so because the track was so short. There were flourescent tape markers on the course and on the barriers track which were used as guides as to the race line and when to accelerate and decelerate. These were helpful, but when you have a windshield that is trashed, the markers were useless when looking at a setting sun. The cars are heavy and sloppy, but then again that may be characteristic of a NASCAR car. I never really went fast enough to experience over or under steer. The cockpit is very cramped and uncomfortable which is to be expected. Another complaint was that I was behind a car for 4 laps with only 6 remaining and by the time she was instructed to go low left and allow me to pass, I only had two laps left. To be fair, I don't know if the spotter didn't let me pass because I kept a safe distance behind her, and being that passes are only permitted on the extremely short straights. I finally got very close to her and she was instructed to let me pass. The staff was excellent and ran the event very well. It was very disappointing being stuck behind a slow car and I believe we were the only two cars left on the track. I wouldn't spend the money again on this experience unless it was on a larger track. I would also book my time at noon so as not to have to deal with sun glare through a very scratched window. Be prepared to spend some 'add on' cash. I purchased the insurance for $60 just in case. I'm not sure I'd do that again. You would have to be really reckless to do any damage. Personally, I will try open wheel or perhaps karting next time, or maybe a Porsche experience. Those stock cars are really heavy.

1  Thank Pocho1
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This experiece will blow you away! Great for anyone with a Need for Speed! Mountain Speedway is a 1/3 mile asphalt track located in the beautiful Pocono Mountians not far from major attractions so this would be a great stop to add to your vacation plans. I drive a racecar on dirt and this was my first experience drving a racecar on asphalt and it was and adrenaline rush to say the least! As you get more comfortable with the car your confidence goes up and the G's are crazy when you increase your speed! Great crew from check-in to driver orientation, to on track staff. Job well done! Can't wait to go back for more! Thanks RWRE!

Jason Fuhrman