“Disappointing”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites St Marys
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Saint Marys
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We booked this room for one overnight on May 5th 2012 , as we were in St. Mary's for a family function. I spend at least 1-2 nights per month in a hotel, and because the chain of my choice was not in this area, we went with the Comfort Inn. This would not/will not be on my list of recommendations. This hotel is VERY dated. The finish on the nightstand in our room was cracked, and terrible looking...the alarm clock time was flashing (not a BIG deal) but not something a guest should be setting. There was peeling wallpaper, and some cobwebs. The bedspreads, and blankets were old, and yes as per other reviewers very small pillows. The whole hotel has an odor, while not musty it is not 'fresh' either.The television reception is very poor as well. When we went down for breakfast, there was a very suggestive love story movie on. Just do not think it would have been appropraite for all ages, and i did ask the hotel staff to change it, which they did. As far as the breakfast, I would recommend sticking to the yogurt, cereal or danishes. The eggs are flavorless, but then again, I heard the microwave beep in the prep room and watched the attendant pour the cooked eggs out of a bag. When I booked the hotel 2 weeks prior, the pool was closed, and was STILL closed when we were there. Reason, it wasn't heated and they were waiting for someone to come fix it. I would suggest management pursue this issue a little more, as this is an unreasonable time frame to 'wait'. While the St. Mary's area is limited to hotel choices, if I need to stay again, I will try the Best Western, or stay in a nearby town, but I would not stay at this hotel again. Additionally for the price we paid...this was definately WAY TO MUCH.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed for about four days. The facility is in a good location, the staff were outstanding, the room was clean. The only issue was that on Friday the one elevator broke and we were informed that it would not be fixed until the following Monday. Not good when you are staying on the third floor.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We returned to NW PA for a funeral, and, since we are very familiar with the area, we knew that neither Bradford or Kane had much to offer. We chose to stay in Saint Marys and commute to Kane. Based on the reviews here,it seemed to be a roll of the dice between the Comfort and Best Western. Having had better luck in the past with the Choice Motels brand, we chose that route.

This is an older motel, in need of some TLC, but it was reasonably clean and the front desk staff was very helpful. The public areas show quite a bit of wear, but the room we had was no as bad as the public areas.The motel seems to be a favorite with construction workers and our first room was next door to a room full of guys consuming copious amounts of beer and making quite a bit of noise. Cody, on the desk, was understanding and allowed us to move our room without question. Our second room was quiet and comfortable.

As I have noted in other reviews of this motel chain, THEIR PILLOWS SUCK! The treveler is well advised to bring his/her own if staying at any Choice Hotel lodging.

Room Tip: Go for the third floor, it seems to be the quietest.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Linda C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites St Marys, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Thank You for taking the time to point out our needed improvement. We have since implemented a new strategy to improve our public areas. We are also happy that we could move you to a quieter room.We apologize for the pillows.We are required to carry that brand.Thank You again and have a great day.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

This was the worst place my husband and I have ever stayed, the pillows on a king size bed are no larger than the throw pillows I have on my sofa, the heater made noises that kept us awake. You couldn't set the heat to a desirable tempature either suffocated or froze. Drip in shower along with hall noise added to a sleepless night. AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE CALLING EGGS FOR BREAKFAST , KETCHUP AND 5 PACKS OF PEPPER DIDN'T EVEN HELP THEM. WOULD NEVER EVER STAY THERE AGAIN.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Frist, I will start by saying that we have stayed in this hotel every September over the past 10+ years. The big tourist attraction is the PA Elk Herd and the area is flooded with people each year over a two-three week period in the fall. This hotel used to be nice, used to be clean, used to be friendly. Because it is the only hotel in the immediate area with an indoor pool I think mgmt has decided it doesn't matter what the hotel looks like. First: The rooms are seriously overdue for renovation. The carpets are disgusting. The corridors have uneven spots where concrete has shifted. I touched the corner of the dresser and the trim piece fell off in my hand. The air conditioner barely kept the room cool and it was only 55 degrees outside. Second: as mentioned, we have been coming here for 10+ years to see the elk. This means you are up and out of the hotel room between 5:30 and 6:00 am to get up on the mountain for sunrise. Breakfast hours are posted as 7-10am on weekends, but every other year the breakfast has been available early. Usually not the hot items, but cereal, coffee, juice, pastries, etc, for more of a grab and go for the early risers. Not this year. The breakfast area was dark, but there were cereal bars, coffee, juice and some hot item out on the counter. As we walked in, one of the employees came running up behind us screaming "you can't be in here, breakfast isn't served until 7am" I said we only wanted some cereal bars, she (loudly) stated again, "we have established breafast hours, you can't take food now". When I (tried very politely) to tell her that we had been coming here for over ten years and that management had always made an effort to accomodate the early risers she had no response other than breakfast was not available. While we were in the area this year we scouted out a few new lodging possibilities - we won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I was in St. Marys for two nights in June. I spent the first night at the Comfort Inn, per a recommendation from a colleague. It was not a good recommendation. We reserved a room block and the hotel screwed that up (twice). The hotel was in the wrong, but failed to admit their mistake and accommodate our needs per the terms of the room block. We had to arrange lodging at the Best Western on our own to meet our needs. But I can let that slide. The real problem was the rooms. They were old and smelled like wet dogs. The wallpaper was torn and tattered, the carpeting was nasty, and the room just felt dirty. The continental breakfast was fine, but nothing special. The next night we stayed at the Best Western right down the road. It was like going to the Ritz! The hotel was recently updated and the room was very nice. So, if you're planning a trip to the St. Marys area do yourself a favor and a avoid the Discomfort Inn. Stay at the Best Western - for roughly the same price too.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed one night. Didn't have high expectations but the carpet in our room was gross to the touch. Felt like it hadn't been cleaned in years. we literally wore our shoes the entire time and even put them on as soon as we stepped out of the shower. But wait, there's more. Kid you not, there was a huge turd on the pool's deck. I won't get into further detail but suffice to say that it could not have been from a kid's diaper. I reported it to the front desk and I know that it wasn't picked up for at least 20-30 minutes.
The hotel is under renovation so a) be sure you don't get a room near the noise (we arrived after hours so we didn't hear any) b) ask for an updated room.
Free breakfast was plentiful and good.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Homewood Suites by Hilton DuBois
Comfort Suites DuBois
Comfort Suites DuBois
#1 of 10 in DuBois

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites St Marys? Share your experiences!