“AWFUL!”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites St Marys
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Saint Marys
Reviewed 6 August 2012

To start we had booked this hotel for a large group who were golfing in the area. The sole reason we booked this hotel was because it had a pool which is still broken. The girl at the front desk was more interested in talking on the phone in the back room than actually being helpful or accomadating to anyone. Instead of booking us all together so that we wouldnt disturb any other guests they had us scattered throughout the hotel. To avoid disrupting the other guests in the hotel we decided to go outside the hotel since we were a bit loud and boisterous. The front desk girl then threatened to call the police if we didnt go back inside. So we cant make noise inside and we cant go outside either. In addition the beds were like sleeping on plywood and so small that my husband and i could not share a bed without being half over the edge. I had read other reviews about the pillows being small so we took our own. Well the beds were so small we couldnt even fit both our pillows on the bed at the same time so one of us had to use the hotel pillows( the size of a large throw pillow) when we tried to sleep in the same bed. Finally, our trip from hell finished with having an adjoining room to a family with a baby who cried constantly. (night and day). Will never stay here again. would rather pitch a tent in the parking lot of the golf course we played at than waste my money at this hotel where the food, service, accomadations, and everything they claim to offer is misrepresented and just plain sucks. Did i mention I almost broke my ankle in the 2nd floor hallway because one side of the floor is an inch higher than the other and there is a ridge right in the middle where the two halves dont line up.

Room Tip: pick a different place to stay
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heidi T
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites St Marys

Reviewed 4 June 2012

If you love the smell of cigarettes, then this hotel is for YOU!! We had a non-smoking room but it reeked of cigarettes. In fact, the ENTIRE hotel smells like a giant ashtray. The employees also smoke just outside the entrance along with other hotel guests. So when you walk into the main entrance you are forced to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke. The smell in the hotel is awful. The elevator reeks as well. You notice this when you come out of the bathroom after taking a shower in the closet of a bathroom - you get smacked in the face with it. For 100 dollars a night, this is PATHETIC. The beautiful indoor heated pool? yeah its been closed since October 2011. Expedia's website did not show this when booking. Not a huge deal. I think this hotel is pathetically expensive, but they can do this since its in a no name town with only 1 other hotel for competition. Quite honestly, they should bulldoze the place and start over. We stayed in room 317 - this room is right next to the elevator - it was extremely loud with people talking on their cell phones outside our door. The lock on the door didn't work very well - you had lift the door up and shove it closed to get it to latch. The beds were uncomfortable, my fiance and I woke up with backaches. Its sad that this town doesn't have a nice hotel- I would pay 150 a night for a nice place, I think next time we'll put up a tent in my mom's yard. At least it won't stink.

Room Tip: Don't let them give you room 317... it is RIGHT next to the elevator and people are so loud and...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ilovetoshop81
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We booked this room for one overnight on May 5th 2012 , as we were in St. Mary's for a family function. I spend at least 1-2 nights per month in a hotel, and because the chain of my choice was not in this area, we went with the Comfort Inn. This would not/will not be on my list of recommendations. This hotel is VERY dated. The finish on the nightstand in our room was cracked, and terrible looking...the alarm clock time was flashing (not a BIG deal) but not something a guest should be setting. There was peeling wallpaper, and some cobwebs. The bedspreads, and blankets were old, and yes as per other reviewers very small pillows. The whole hotel has an odor, while not musty it is not 'fresh' either.The television reception is very poor as well. When we went down for breakfast, there was a very suggestive love story movie on. Just do not think it would have been appropraite for all ages, and i did ask the hotel staff to change it, which they did. As far as the breakfast, I would recommend sticking to the yogurt, cereal or danishes. The eggs are flavorless, but then again, I heard the microwave beep in the prep room and watched the attendant pour the cooked eggs out of a bag. When I booked the hotel 2 weeks prior, the pool was closed, and was STILL closed when we were there. Reason, it wasn't heated and they were waiting for someone to come fix it. I would suggest management pursue this issue a little more, as this is an unreasonable time frame to 'wait'. While the St. Mary's area is limited to hotel choices, if I need to stay again, I will try the Best Western, or stay in a nearby town, but I would not stay at this hotel again. Additionally for the price we paid...this was definately WAY TO MUCH.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed for about four days. The facility is in a good location, the staff were outstanding, the room was clean. The only issue was that on Friday the one elevator broke and we were informed that it would not be fixed until the following Monday. Not good when you are staying on the third floor.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We returned to NW PA for a funeral, and, since we are very familiar with the area, we knew that neither Bradford or Kane had much to offer. We chose to stay in Saint Marys and commute to Kane. Based on the reviews here,it seemed to be a roll of the dice between the Comfort and Best Western. Having had better luck in the past with the Choice Motels brand, we chose that route.

This is an older motel, in need of some TLC, but it was reasonably clean and the front desk staff was very helpful. The public areas show quite a bit of wear, but the room we had was no as bad as the public areas.The motel seems to be a favorite with construction workers and our first room was next door to a room full of guys consuming copious amounts of beer and making quite a bit of noise. Cody, on the desk, was understanding and allowed us to move our room without question. Our second room was quiet and comfortable.

As I have noted in other reviews of this motel chain, THEIR PILLOWS SUCK! The treveler is well advised to bring his/her own if staying at any Choice Hotel lodging.

Room Tip: Go for the third floor, it seems to be the quietest.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Linda C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites St Marys, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Thank You for taking the time to point out our needed improvement. We have since implemented a new strategy to improve our public areas. We are also happy that we could move you to a quieter room.We apologize for the pillows.We are required to carry that brand.Thank You again and have a great day.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

This was the worst place my husband and I have ever stayed, the pillows on a king size bed are no larger than the throw pillows I have on my sofa, the heater made noises that kept us awake. You couldn't set the heat to a desirable tempature either suffocated or froze. Drip in shower along with hall noise added to a sleepless night. AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE CALLING EGGS FOR BREAKFAST , KETCHUP AND 5 PACKS OF PEPPER DIDN'T EVEN HELP THEM. WOULD NEVER EVER STAY THERE AGAIN.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Frist, I will start by saying that we have stayed in this hotel every September over the past 10+ years. The big tourist attraction is the PA Elk Herd and the area is flooded with people each year over a two-three week period in the fall. This hotel used to be nice, used to be clean, used to be friendly. Because it is the only hotel in the immediate area with an indoor pool I think mgmt has decided it doesn't matter what the hotel looks like. First: The rooms are seriously overdue for renovation. The carpets are disgusting. The corridors have uneven spots where concrete has shifted. I touched the corner of the dresser and the trim piece fell off in my hand. The air conditioner barely kept the room cool and it was only 55 degrees outside. Second: as mentioned, we have been coming here for 10+ years to see the elk. This means you are up and out of the hotel room between 5:30 and 6:00 am to get up on the mountain for sunrise. Breakfast hours are posted as 7-10am on weekends, but every other year the breakfast has been available early. Usually not the hot items, but cereal, coffee, juice, pastries, etc, for more of a grab and go for the early risers. Not this year. The breakfast area was dark, but there were cereal bars, coffee, juice and some hot item out on the counter. As we walked in, one of the employees came running up behind us screaming "you can't be in here, breakfast isn't served until 7am" I said we only wanted some cereal bars, she (loudly) stated again, "we have established breafast hours, you can't take food now". When I (tried very politely) to tell her that we had been coming here for over ten years and that management had always made an effort to accomodate the early risers she had no response other than breakfast was not available. While we were in the area this year we scouted out a few new lodging possibilities - we won't be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
#2 of 10 in DuBois
Fairfield Inn & Suites DuBois
Homewood Suites by Hilton DuBois
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dubois

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites St Marys? Share your experiences!