“Historic and accomodating”

Ranked #1 of 4 Saxonburg B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh
“Historic and accomodating”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Weekend at the Mainstay was everything others have noted- friendly, immaculate, relaxing and low key. Inn is wonderfully decorated, and host Jim was both knowledgeable and willing to share his insights into the region- which he obviously has embraced with passion. Enjoyed the convenience of the Artist Co-op across the street, the inviting bar and restaurant right next door, and best surprise of all, Randitas organic vegan cafe on the corner. Hope to return again soon and often.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tom J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Mainstay while visiting family and am totally pleased with my experience. It was my first stay at a B and B and Jim and his canine assistant Buddy truly made me feel like a welcomed guest. I stayed in the Florida Suite (which was fun for me as I live in Florida) and enjoyed the deck for reading in the September sunshine. The Mainstay has historic charm, but all the modern conveniences a traveler would want - lots of outlets for charging electronics, free wi-fi, and a continental breakfast with a wide variety of choices. Jim was an attentive host, going so far as to call me at my sister's to advise me of an event going on that might affect traffic in town one night. I plan on staying at the Mainstay again and would certainly recommend it to others. Thanks Jim and Buddy for making my stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Cathy M M
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here while in town for business. The owner was extremely friendly, the room was clean, and the breakfast was delicious. The little town is adorable. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Cshillito
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Visiting family in the Natrona Heights area, the Mainstay offered a lovely, convenient location. Host Jim was most accommodating offering earlier than usual coffee and anything else to make our stay memorable. We would certainly stay again. The updated location was beautiful and offered all we needed and then some. Wish I could have taken our bathroom home with us! Thanks again, Jim, for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Chris L
Downingtown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Mainstay is an absolutely lovely B&B with proprietors (Jim and Brian) who clearly know how to create a warm, inviting and beautiful destination. It excdes comfort in every way. Their level of hospitality and attention to detail is hard to find elsewhere (I've done my share of traveling)! I don't stay anywhere else when I'm visiting family. It also happens to be in the charming little town of Saxonburg and only about 30 min or so from Pittsburg. I'm pretty darn picky when it comes to accommodations and have never been disappointed. I've already booked my room for Christmas!

Room Tip: The Pine Suite has a luxurious bathroom with a large jacuzzi tub. The bed is extremely comfortable...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Melissa M
bellefonte, pa
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We had a wonderful stay. Everything from pre-booking dealings to departure were handled so well. Jim was so helpful in answering questions and making suggestions.Warned us that the Pittsburgh Marathon would create traffic problems in the burgh and recommending alternate routes. The house was great, clean, quiet and very nicely appointed. Stayed in the Safari Room which was really cool! Interesting town with good food options (vegan cafe, Saxonburg Hotel restaurant), art stores, antique stores, etc.) and in a beautiful rural setting. Only a half hour from downtown so a nice option before heading into town. As with other reviewers, we recommend it highly..... oh and a better deal than the flea bag chain motels in the area. Thanks guys!

Room Tip: Safari Room is cool with African motif and facing quiet beautiful backyard courtyard, other rooms l...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bellefontebob
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I stayed at The Mainstay at Saxonburg because of an early morning business meeting in the area. Jim was very helpful with the reservation. He also greeted me upon arrival and prepared an early breakfast. The room was spacious and well appointed. I highly recommend The Mainstay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Jbb56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saxonburg
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 8 in Butler
Courtyard Pittsburgh North/Cranberry Woods
Courtyard Pittsburgh North/Cranb...
#5 of 15 in Cranberry Township
Home2 Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh / Cranberry, PA
Home2 Suites by Hilton Pittsburg...
#1 of 15 in Cranberry Township
Hampton Inn Butler
Hampton Inn Butler
#1 of 8 in Butler
SpringHill Suites Pittsburgh Mills
Locust Brook Lodge Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Mainstay at Saxonburg? Share your experiences!