“Kids have the best time. Clean and well run overall.”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
New York, New York, United States
“Kids have the best time. Clean and well run overall.”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We have been going to this Great Wolf for the past three years, and my kids, now 7.5 and 5 have the time of their lives. They prefer it to Disney World! As adults, would we ever go if it weren't for the kids? Of course not. But it is clean, the food is pretty good, lots of variety, and the rooms are updated and comfortable. And there is just so much for the kids to do. Prepare to spend a good amount of add'l $$$ on the MagiQuest wand ($50) and the spa is extremely over priced as well ($69.99 package for either a mani or pedi - not both!). Also the stuffed animal (a la Build a Bear) will be add'l $$$ and the arts and crafts/ paint your own ceramics add'l $$. The arcade is great, way better than Chucky Cheese, but $20 is gone in 15 mins... Mini golf and bowling also a great option and a bit more reasonably priced. We also are always so impressed with how clean it is. They must scrub that waterpark with reckless abandon each night. The major issue we always have is the 11pm-7am "curfew" that they say kids can't run in the halls and jump in the rooms.... I wish they made it 9pm. Whenever we aren't on the top floor it sounds like bowling balls are being dropped upstairs and you can hear everything happening in the halls... sound machines don't even help in the slightest. I wish they would have a "early bedtime" wing or something for people with younger children. Oh well. After another 2 night stay (which is the most I would EVER recommend), we all had a great time and will definitely be going back again.

Room Tip: We think it is worth the extra money to guarantee a top level floor if you want to get to sleep befo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Turkish first
Larchmont, New York
Reviewed 24 October 2013

To start with the "great stuff": The water park is fantastic. We were there with a 4 year old and 2 year old and there was plenty for both of them to do. Lots of slides, pools, fountains, water cannons, places to swim and float and dump and pour. Lifeguards everywhere tooting their whistles, making everyone feel safe.

Honestly, after he collapsed into bed the first night the 4 year old asked "can we live here?"

So if you're with kids, they'll love that part of the experience.

From there, it's all downhill.

The rooms and amenities give the impression that probably 4 or 5 years ago this place was pristine. Now, as the luster starts to wear off...the imperfections and cheap construction are starting to shine through.

The rooms were clean, but cheap. A bit of wallpaper peeling or part of the wall panel coming off or showerhead a little jiggly. Nothing major.

The rest of the hotel...maybe an animatronic figure was broken here or there, maybe the carpet was starting to show some wear....

I left feeling like this hotel is just starting a decline from which it will never recover.

Some people have complained in other posts about the kids and teens running around everywhere. It's true, but shouldn't you expect that? This is a place for them after all.

Last thing, the worst part...the food situation is an absolute joke. It's mediocre college cafeteria food, nothing more. Plus it's overpriced. We had a $60 credit in the main cafeteria (I can't call it a "restaurant") and spent about half the first day at breakfast. Even with money left over (free money!), we went out the next day to a local diner. It's that bad. Horrible.

We did visit a place called Pocano Brewing Company a few miles down the road that serves a cold beer and decent burger. So there's that.

So I'm left torn. The kids LOVED the water park...it deserves 5 stars. The hotel probably deserves 2 for its fit and finish.

Staff was all nice and friendly and helpful...they're trying their best to keep the shine on the apple.

But it won't last for long.

2 Thank BodenseeAustria
Washington Township, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I went to Great Wolf Lodge in PA this past weekend for my 10 year anniversary with our 2 kids. Although the hotel was great the weekend ended negative. I left my necklace my husband bought for me in the room after checking out. I called the hotel later that day to let them know and asked if it had been found. I called several times and talked with secruity which they said no one turned it in. I left the necklace on the sink area in the room so it couldn't have been missed by housekeeping. The resort is expensive and I would think it would have trustworthy people working there. Although the weekend was great spending time with my husband and kids I will always have a negative sour taste thinking of Great Wolf Lodge in PA.

Be ware - DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR ROOM AFTER CHECK OUT. YOU WILL NOT GET IT BACK!!!!

I put Poor due to my necklace being stolen. If it wasn't stolen I would have higher rating for this resort.

1 Thank Liz3838
mom2ltlman
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We have been to this location every October for the last four years. Every time we are there, the fire alarm goes off. We have four kids ranging from 3 to 14. The older kids are getting bored but the younger kids love it. There are kids everywhere and parents who just let then run Amok. That is not me. Everything in the hotel is overpriced and the rooms need to be renovated but it is a lovely location. The outside is well kept and the interior is cozy. The staff are generally friendly but they never are in the common areas and should be.

• Stayed October 2013
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We have just returned to our first visit to a Great Wolf Lodge. Although we have seen the one in Williamsburg, Va., this site was closer to our granddaughters who we were picking up on the way. Thus, Poconos it was. I had read a couple of reviews her righty prior to leaving on our trip which concerned me. I placed a call to the Lodge and received a call back within 24 hours from the guest services director allaying my concerns and outlining some of the steps they actually take to keep certain aspects of the facility up to par. ( Such as a shutdown twice a year to do a deep cleaning- this had occurred in September). I was relieved.
Upon arrival I was pleased that check-in took about all of 5 minutes. It was quite apparent that although this was a Wednesday that there was a super large group on site. The staff confirmed that. It was actually sort of overwhelming at first. We got to our room and was please with the Kid Kamp suite that we had. The separate bunk area for the 2 kiddos was great. The balcony was very nice as was the entire suite. (more elevators would be nice, however)
The waterpark is huge and well maintained and staffed. I was so pleased to see a huge number of lifeguards. The area specifically designated for the little ones was extremely well staffed and all of the lifeguards were extremely focused and attentive. ( It made this Grandma very happy). As for the older kids, there is plenty for them at the waterpark. My older granddaughter had a blast on both days although day 1 was very, very crowded.
We ate the Loose Moose Cottage and although they have a menu we opted for the buffet where the kiddos could choose from a variety of foods. Many nutritious items were available as was the standard chicken tenders and fries type fare. I must say on our stay the buffet was above mediocre. The service there was super!!
Magi-Quest is for the older kids, Story Adventure is for the younger ones. ELectroniuc games take them (and or you) up and down and all around the lodge seeking clues or hearing the stories. (TIP: If you have active kids, get the Pup or PawPass it will save you $$$)
Personally I think the arcade was a cut above other arcades with better quality (and costlier) games and activities.
Although I know Great Wolf used to have a Cub Club, this site does not.
All of the staff was super! Really. From the waterpark attendants helping find the right size vest for a child, to first aid provided, wait staff excellence, hospitality staff getting the job done or the Buckhorn Exchange (store) staff providing great service, this facility was great. And, I cannot forget the front desk staff. Excellent!
I would say do try to go at a holiday time. We just went during Howl-O-Ween and the kids loved dressing up and trick or treating!
(Oh and the new pillow top Beauty Rest mattresses are to die for!! We and our backs thank you Great Wolf)

2 Thank LuAnn M
South Kingstown, RI
Reviewed 22 October 2013

First let me say the 5 kids., ages 5 to 8 had a great time in the water park. The 6 adults not so much fun. To start our weekend there was no bellman available to help the hundreds of people checking in and no carts for self service. Checking in was a horror show, we had booked months in advance and requested and paid for a balcony room, received a ground level room with a cement pad facing the driveway. AC was broken and the room was not what we booked.

Food was what you might expect in an amusement park, fried and over cooked. Called front desk to borrow a bottle opener and was told none in the room nor available in the hotel. The desk person told us "we are more like a condominium than a hotel" so we don't supply those things.
All in all what was really lacking was service. Fire alarm went off on Sat night at 11:15pm and the entire property listened to the sirens for 10 plus minutes, popcorn microwave problem. No announcements at all.
Checkout was the same as checking in, dragging luggage up a Hugh flight of stairs, several trips, and no help around.
I must say the lifeguard staff does an excellent job, paying very good attention. Another positive is the magic quest exploration games however they need staff stationed on each floor to help the children . Two young men trying to cover 4 floors and hundreds of kids was a joke .
Very expensive weekend for such little attention .
This concept has such great potential and just needs better service standards and as usual more help. Giving an average rating as a combined review water-park very good, service and food, poor

Room Tip: Make sure you are not on the bottom floor, too much noise and traffic. Also request a room not far f...
Closter, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I've been to this resort many times. Today, I'm writing this from my bed in room 1077 which is a kid cabin suite. I have 3 kids so they love the bunk beds. It's a school day yet with less people means less people working the front desk. Yesterday it took me 15 minutes to check in. I noticed yesterday that the water park had less water running throughout the park. A lot of the middle sprays were not working due to no water. The wave pool is still chlorine water and everything else is salt water. Salt water has so many advantages. No smell, no stinging eyes. I have stayed in the majestic bear room which is a big room but yet costs a lot more. Our favorite is the kid cabin only due to the bunk beds. The kids bed isn't comfortable for an adult. Feels like sleeping in a shorter pullout couch. Very thin mattress. I recommend a fireplace in the room because we use it to dry our swim wear for the next day. I can tell that in this room that this is one of the more used rooms which is typically the case being on the first floor. The first floor is where the water park is. When you walk out from the water park, it's very cold. While in bed, my feet felt like it was higher than my head. Same thing for the pullout couch. Wasn't like this when I stayed here last time on the second floor. When I was pulling out the couch, all these crumbs came flying out as well. Never experience that before and I've been here more than 5 times. Usually the rooms are clean. Advantages of staying on the second floor is that you don't need an elevator specially if you have lots of luggage. 2 nd floor is the Main Street level. The hotel is very wide with two doors to the left and right of the main doors. So you can park your car closer to your room and grab a luggage cart. Can't do that if you're staying on floor 1,3,4 since the elevators are only in the middle of the hotel. Elevators can be a long wait specially on the weekends. We just use the stairs since it's much quicker. The buffet is ok, don't expect 5 star food but just mediocre food and choices. Pizza can take a long time to get unless you want the pizza hut express. Arcade is an arcade. Bowling is between bowling and skee ball. Verbs short lanes and the balls are about coconut size. Good for kids. The kids always enjoy the show in the lobby at 8 and 9pm as well as the story time. Starbucks is a lifesaver. The magic wand/quest is a game where you get clues and you go throughout the resort fulfilling tasks to finish the game. They have a new expanded Quest called shadow quest. I have three kids who already have the wands so they just needed to be reactivated which is about 20 bucks. No wand, add about another 20. Now you need 3hours going throughout the lodge to find all the things required in the game. The first quest, you get a book which tells you where things are but in shadow quest, you get instructions on what you need to find and then you are on your own. Back and forth between all the floors. You need a lot of patience and time if you want to complete it. Or you can always comeback and pay another 20 or 15 bucks to finish it. It stores everything. I recommend bringing batteries for your wand if you haven't been here for awhile. I think it's double A. Or u can buy them here but it will cost u.

Room Tip: I like the second floor which is the same as the lobby. Don't need elevators to get to your roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,265 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!