“Pull the kids from school”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
realdealpapi
“Pull the kids from school”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Short and sweet. Rooms clean, Water park was dirty with black mold and garbage in the catch nets, when I informed the water park director he had the nets cleaned within 15 min, but the garbage had been there a while. Order pizza out they all deliver. Worst part, parents expect the hotel to watch there brat running around punk kids. We had to get a comp lunch for 6 because the security guard had a list of 18 rooms at 11pm for noise problems. The pukes above us let there brats jump off the bunks till after 1am. A real quote that I heard, honey, where are the boys? answer, well we did not get paged from the front desk yet! HA HA These are the losers you have to deal with. My daughter loved Magic Quest for 50$ but she's worth it.

Room Tip: Get the top floor or stay home, they still run in the halls w/o there drunk parents.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Took my 7 year old daughter and her 9 year old friend to Great Wolf for her birthday. The resort is beautiful. They every idea covered for the kids and adults alike but boy is everything expensive. Pack your wallet. A small personal pizza at pizza hut is $7.00. A kids meal consisting of 2 chicken tenders and a handful of fries in the water park is $10. As long as you are expecting this at the start you should be okay. We originally booked a standard suite. I would highly recommend this if you are traveling on an "off" week. We received an email 2 days before our scheduled arrival and were pleasantly surprised to see that we were offered an upgrade to a much better room for as low as an additional $30. We took it. It was worth the money as the kids LOVED the room. We upgraded to a Kid Cabin. The adults had their own area to sit by the fire and enjoy quiet conversation while the kids camped out in their Kid Cabin with their own tv and 3 beds. I also love the idea of your wristband being the "key card" for the room and entry and exit from the hotel. One less thing to worry about carrying around or losing. Beware though - if you lose it it's $40 to replace. The facility is very clean and has a huge variety of things for the kids (and adults). Starbucks is a big hit among the adults. There are scheduled daily activities in the main lobby for anyone needing a break for something different for the little kids. Their are quest adventures (requires a wand purchase of $20) miniature golf ($6/pp) bowling ($5/pp) an arcade that requires the purchase of a paw pass and the minimum amount you can put on the paw pass is $5. You can rent a cabana to place your items in and go back to with food service for $125. The food is not included it's just so that you will have a designated more private are to place your belongings while in the water/pool area. For those who do not want to spend a small fortune on dinner and breakfast there are several places to eat (very close) to the Lodge. We ate at Lonestar steakhouse but there is also a Chili's, Red Lobster, Red Robin, Diner, etc. Another plus is the speedy checkout or the lack of check out at all. If you use a card to secure purchases during the trip you will square that away (very quickly) at checkout (11:00 a.m.) But if you use cash you are automatically checked out at 11:00 a.m. (so be sure to remove all belongings from your room before the maid comes because your wristband will no longer open the door). Overall this was a great experience and we would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Hold out on off weeks (the weeks that kids are not out of school or around holidays) for an email up...
1 Thank Michelle C
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

This time, I only got one room for one night at the price tag of $603/night with taxes. This was for 4 kids and 3 adults (two three year old, seven and nine). This was our fifth trip so we are pros by now. Adults need to remember that "this is a water park for children" and work on their patience, attitude and behaviors.
Here is what I noticed this time;

Check in: breeze. Actually, I had booked the room online and mistakenly paid for one in Washington instead of poconos. I did not get the kid cabin suite but they were able to offer me a regular two queen bed and pull out sofa for same price and extra $40 for one extra child. As my husband put it, "they could have said we can't do anything. You must pay higher price for new reservation". We got our room around 3 pm. We left luggage with bell man and headed to water park.

Water park: is great as always except that water was more chlorinated this time to the point where kids had to go rinse their eyes frequently. Place was crowded with rude grown ups who had hoarded tables and chairs with their piles of resort towels when no one was there to use them. At one point, when my kids needed to sit down to eat, I took three chairs, threw the towels on the floor after three hours of non-use. Here is what I think they should do. Either, charge for table and chair rental by the hour or assign them with the rooms. This is ridiculous where adults are behaving like three and four years old refusing to share. What are we teaching our children? "Fight back" and throw towels on the floor. The staff was walking around cleaning the place which was a bit more filthy this time- perhaps due to spring break.

Food: The lodge can do better with food quality. While spirit island shop is convenient for wet kids, all they could stuff was junk : fries, onion rings, chicken tenders, burgers and pretzels.
How challenging is it to offer vegetable burgers, chicken sandwich or fish sandwich ? With people becoming increasingly vegetarian or vegan, I think veggie burgers are an immediate need.
Drinks at the bar were great and staff very friendly. Moose loose cottage is over priced waste of money. We paid $120.00 for buffet for some Mac n cheese, broccoli, chicken nuggets and some dessert with most of it unconsumed and wasted. Why can't they offer a menu which would make more sense over this waste of time, money and food.
The Pizza Hut, dippin dots, snack shop downstairs is always a hit.

Room: was clean, neat, in good condition considering the busy place. Extra towels came in minutes of calling down stairs. They should give conditioners for hair which were disgustingly tangled due to all that chlorinated water. Kids were screaming as we untangled their hair. The beds were comfortable enough to fit each adult with one or two kids.

Checkout: breeze. One day was enough for kids who didn't want to go back next day. They enjoyed magi quest games with their pricey wands and toppers and games costing around $260.00 for magi quest. Oh well! It's spring break and they had fun.

Staff: very professional. Bell man Gideon was the most professional- introduced himself, his role at the resort and asked us what else he could do for us. We had winter coats with iPods and iPhones and uggs in our luggage cart which they carefully packed in a large plastic bag without anything missing or stolen. I was impressed as I was certain that one of the "I" something was going to disappear.

Would I go there again? Absolutely
Immediate request- vegeterian burgers and a "table and chair police" who can watch people from hoarding them.

Long term recommendation- get rid of buffet, assign tables and chairs per room numbers.

This week I am taking kids to great escape lodge and indoor water park for 3 nights. Will post review. I have enough info to compare both.

• Stayed March 2013
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We did our second trip to the GWL in Poconos for my son's birthday and continue to have a great time. Everything from my previous review still holds true and overall we had a great time - just a couple things to add:

- Room: This time we had a room on the 1st floor right down the hall from all the activities. Avoid these rooms at all cost - the craziness starts right outside your room and the room was in need of repairs (sink didn't drain well, had to jiggle the toilet handle to stop it from running etc). I knew as soon as the front desk told me where our room was it would be troublesome, but it was ready when we got there, so I took it. Looking back, I would of rather waited for another one. For me, the ideal rooms are on the second floor down the hall from Starbucks. Convenient to everything but still tucked away.

- Crowd: This isn't really the resorts fault but the crowd this time was much more unruly and discourteous - and I did see the effect it had on the staff and the "atmosphere" (lifeguards getting fustrated, getting charged wrong amounts when buying things, etc). I would just reiterate that if you can go during off peak days/season, without hesitation do that. I've seen both and it does make a difference in your enjoyment. On the Saturday night of this trip, there were kids running around wild in the Magic Quest and pool areas... and kids standing and blocking the view for others during the nightime show and story time. It was almost comical because I was wondering where the parent was for this one kid that was standing and blocking the view (which caused the ripple effect for other kids to do the same) and I found her... standing on the side taking pictures of him... classic.

- Halloween Activities: It was great to be there during the Halloween season - they had trick or treating around the hotel at cerrtain locations so the kids were basically dressed up as soon as their bathing suits came off. Although, I was a little disappointed in the (minimal) decorations the resort had but I guess Christmas season would really take the hat for that kind of thing.

Room Tip: Aviod first floor due to immediate proximity to all activities and low quality room maintenance...
4 Thank klt27
Orangeburg, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here weekend of the 18th of October for two nights with my husband, two sons and two nieces. This was our third time and my nieces first. Showed up around 12:00 noon and check in was fast and easy. Room was clean but a little worn. Not surprised with the amount of kids who stay here. We are a very cost conscious family and find the mini fridge and microwave very handy. We were able to bring cold cuts, cereal snacks etc. We were also able to bring down our lunch to the waterpark area and noticed quite a few families did the same. We ordered Pizza hut the twnighties we were there and found it quite reasonably priced. I have never eaten in the restaurant there - in previous visits we went out at night for dinner down the road. Lots of family friendly restaurants to chose from. The waterpark is very safe, lifeguards all over who never stand still for a moment. They also make use of a child size dummy, they use to keep the lifeguards on their toes. They sometimes throw him in to see if the lifeguards are paying attention. They also change his bathing suit etc. I think his name is Timmy. I felt my kids were safe here. The waterpark itself is extremely clean, but very loud. We were here at Halloween time and the kids were able to don their costumes and go trick or treating! They had a ball! They also were able to be a part of Guiness Book of World Records Loudest Wolf Howl that weekend. Also wanted to mention the staff was extremely friendly from the fromt desk, to bellhops, maids etc. Couldn't ask for a better time! Would I recommend - Yes! Will I be back - Definitely.

2 Thank Monstica
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My family and I have visited Great Wolf and its waterpark every year since 2006. The quality and value has diminished with every return. The cleanliness of the common areas was seriously lacking. Pizza boxes and garbage just thrown on the floor (albeit near garbage receptacles) or in front of hotel rooms by patrons esp after lunch time. Check in and check out times were excessively long. They should really just have an express check out system to avoid having to wait twice (i.e. a final bill under the door/on TV access). The Loose Moose buffet restaurant used to be (believe it or not) really good with plenty of variety and now both the breakfast and dinner is way below average. Guests were wandering asking other guests where they could find a plate. Trays of food were left empty due to the lack of attention by staff. It definitely seemed understaffed which is unfortunate since the quality of the staff is still excellent. The value and the variety of activities available for all age groups still exceed anything else comparable in the tristate area so I'm sure we'll return. I just hope that there will be improvements made by our next visit. I seem to make the same wish every year.

Room Tip: The waterpark level (2) is the noisiest but the easiest to get to everything. I prefer a quieter st...
1 Thank CristinaP73
westmeath
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Two great fun filled days , rooms sleep 6 comfortably , selection of food available, best indoor waterpark .... Great fun had by all. Spa facilities on site , DIY laundry facilities, comfortable drive from NY

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,264 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!