“Great Wolf Lodge is not so family friendly”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Let's see besides this place being a complete indoor zoo with amplified noise of kids screaming from the entry to the hallways this place has very little to offer but a headache. When you check in ask for Advil or ear plugs.

So let's simplify GWL: 1 wave pool, about 5 slides, a bunch of kiddie pools, 1 lazy river and a water works jungle gym. That sums up the water park.

Now for the rest of the so called activities, the arcade is decent but you can spend $50 in less than an hour but I guess that's to be expected since they don't charge enough for everything else including the stay. The spa was not something that we even considered as the prices averaged to be the same as a private spa unless you prefer little kids running around at every turn.
My personal favorite was the Magic Quest in the hallways of the hotel, this was especially fun for anyone that wasn't trampled by a stampede of kids running completely unattended by any of the parents and of course screaming and running was all part of the fun.

Now for the food, everything from soft drinks to a hamburger was so expensive it makes the Starbucks Cafe inside the lobby the most affordable meal you can get. The buffet is about as appealing as the food at Golden Corral.

Now for the staff, mostly local college kids and some adults here and there but I guess you really can't expect adults to deal with the constant screaming and running around that goes on at this place.

Overall I think you should consider something outdoors as I did. I took my family to the Jersey shore for one day and the kids had a better time with the sand and the ocean than the weekend we spent at GWL.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank notinterestedChicago

Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I took her two kids -4 year old girl and 8 year old boy to Great Wolf for a one night stay. We had a blast! The resort was very clean, the staff was veey friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The food in the Loose Moose was excellent (although a bit expensive) but had a nice selection of veggies, pasta, seafood and poultry to choose from. Breakfast was awesome with the omelet bar and pancakes, waffles, and lots of fresh fruit. The water park was very clean and the life guards were VERY attentive. Story time at 8:00 pm in the lobby was so much fun for the kids to attend in their jammies. We would love to go back again!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank SUZANNAH S
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

We overall had a great time, unfortunately we had a tough time on the PA turnpike. The food at the Buffett restaurant was great, we had special food cooked for Gluten Free. They have the Best chicken tenders gf and pizza was good! It is pricey if you do extra activities, buy the package and save money! Rooms are very Clean.Have Fun

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We just got back from staying at GW Lodge this past weekend. We booked the trip for 2 nights and stayed on the third floor. We found the room so uncomfortable and dirty that we actually left after only one night and lost over $500 because we didn't stay the second night. As a family of 5 (kids aged 8, 10 and 12), we stayed in a family suite with 2 queen beds and a pull out sofa bed which was so old and dirty that I hardly slept more than 2 hours! The springs in the sofa bed came right through the very worn mattress. I tried to upgrade the room, but the concierge staff had no other rooms and was very unapologetic for the condition of my room (even though you are already paying $500/night).

The bathroom sink is meant for a 5 year old and is outside the bathroom. The shower/toilet area itself is very small, dimly lit (to hide the dirt) and just depressing.

The water park was also very dirty; had coughing kids all over it -- my own kids came home sick. The trip was booked as a gift for my 11 year olds 12th bday and I mentioned this to the concierge several times which does not seem to matter as they ignored the bday all together. The kids did seem to like the few rides for older kids, but my husband and I were appalled. We just spent over $1000 for a weekend trip that was not enjoyable at all for adults and overall disgusting.

I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank SSGMOM
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and bring these concerns to our attention. I can assure you that this is not a typical experience at Great Wolf as we pride ourselves in providing an environment that is safe and fun for all family members. If you would be willing to speak with us regarding your situation, please e-mail me at your earliest convenience at guestrelations@greatwolf.com. Thank you for choosing Great Wolf Lodge.
Jason
Guest Relations

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Hello! I want to preface my review by saying that GWL is great for some families. If you are a quiet bunch who enjoys swimming and activities, consider staying at another resort. This is a loud, crowded, high-energy facility.

Pros:
cleanliness (hotel)
friendly staff
attentive lifeguards (safety)

Cons:
messes in the waterpark
fire hazards in the lobby (shows and activities clog egress areas)
no healthy food options (everything is buffet or greasy)
minimal to no vegetarian/vegan food options
hard beds
unattended children
expensive

Room Tip: Having a fireplace in our room was a very nice touch!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rachel M
Reviewed 1 December 2013

You won't be regret to choose this water park for your family vacation. We have to been several indoor water park near NYC this is the best not the one of the best but the only one best.
The price is more than others but it really worthy it.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Spent thanksgiving weekend.After having visited other kid spots must say we were dying to leave. Had a first floor room and the jumping noise did not stop well into midnight. They had to have been jumping off furniture, because our whole room would shake. Couldn't figure out what type of animals or ,parents that would allow them to do it ,were up there. Called the front desk many times because we could not sleep on both nights, they told us there were other complaints about the room then at check out they tell us they had no record of calls! Even though we wanted security to come and listen no one came and apparently they never went to room to tell them to stop either. Basically we were stuck since place was at capacity. Kids ages 11 and 12 enjoyed quest game and enjoyed waterpark for about 3 hours. Rooms were clean. An abnormal amount of rude guests walking down hallways in mobs. I blame the parents.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Xtm22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!