“Very relaxing, VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE for a weekend trip” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Bronxville, NY
“Very relaxing, VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE for a weekend trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

• We arrived at the Great Wolf Lodge, Scotrun, PA, on Friday, December 6th around 5:30pm. It took us about 2 hours to get to Scotrun, PA, and 2 sections of traffic during our commute. Before arriving at the Great Wolf Lodge, we went to a meal and found McDonald's which was about 4.1 miles away from Scotrun, PA.

We found a strip mall that had Wal-Mart, Lowes, KFC and McDonalds and other stores. Nice to know when we return in a couple of years. No need to purchase extra food and water, we can purchase @ Wal-mart.

When we arrived I saw a big line of children and parents waiting to see Santa Claus, it was on selected dates in December. They had a show with mechanicals animals in the front. It drew large lines from parents and children. We didn't watch the shows.
When we checked in I'm happy to report that there were no lines. You are given wrist bands to wear and the birthday booklet. The front desk forgot to provide us with the voucher for the Mommy and Me manicure and pedicure package. 2 adult wrist bands had access to purchasing and opening the door in the rooms. You didn’t have to carry any cards to open the door. This was nice!

I purchased the birthday package and the Mommy and Me manicure and pedicure package for our daughter’s 10th birthday. The birthday package cost $125. At first I thought it was expensive but after obtaining all the items it wasn't so bad. The items received in the birthday package: a paper poster happy birthday sign, wolf it down meal – which was a pizza pie, 2 liter soda/pop and salad. The sad part about this is my daughter doesn’t drink soda and I had to purchase a fruit drink for her. ½ sheet size birthday cake in flavors of chocolate or vanilla (we picked chocolate and it was very good); 4 chocolate candy bars that said happy birthday on the wrapper. 4 game cards with 8 paw points for the arcade. Great Wolf Lodge stuffing station critter to select (clothes not included), souvenir scrapbook, happy birthday pin, Child’s birthday bag and Kodak disposable camera. Great wolf should upgrade the camera to include a disposable digital camera, since that’s the new thing. 

We were in room 3020 (3rd floor), which was the Kid Kamp suite, which consisted of bunk beds with a TV set in the room, a queens size bed and a full size sofa/bed. The room had 4 dresser drawers, a TV set, microwave, refrigerator, coffee machine, with lots of paper cups, plastic utensils, napkins, sweeteners , with 2 packages of coffee, toilet and shower/tub and on another area the sink, and coat rack and underneath safe. This room also had a balcony that viewed the front parking lot. The room also provided an extra pillow and blanket. I was surprised that the room didn't have hot chocolate packages to make for the children staying at the resort. It had a coffee machine with 2 different types of coffee, sweeteners, and spoons with napkin packages. They had 2 bottles of Dasani water each for $2.99. We purchase a case of Poland Spring water and left them on the balcony to get cold. The room provided body wash, lotion and shampoo (all tiny bottles), no hair conditioner (which didn’t surprise me because I read it from another post on Trip advisor). The bathroom consists of lots of bath towels which was nice.

The noise we encountered was the loads of people that were on the 4th floor. Which sounded like being in the NYC MTA subways, very LOUD! We did see lots of running in the hallways, by both parents and children. It was nice that they had hibernation signs from 11pm to 7am. I noticed the noise died down by 10pm and by 7am it was like baby birds waking up and chirping.

We saw many children young and teenagers playing with the magic wand. We didn't do that.

On our first day we headed to the pool, which was clean and decent. Sure I read that other families wrote on Trip advisor that it was dirty with food. I didn’t see that. I think it needed the use of a high power water cleaner with Clorox on the floors and the sides of the pool, but other than that it was fine. I thought the water was nice. We did the wave pool and the pool that had the basketball hoops. I found that near the emergency exits doors that lead outside it was FREEZING COLD!! We stayed for about 2 hours and headed back to our room. The pool area wasn’t crowded when we arrived, because we came when people were eating dinner. I founded that when 5pm to 7pm the pool area was at its lowest. Many families eating. They had a pool that had basketball hoops (4) and logs to climb on to reach the other side. They had a lazy river and lots of water slides some u had to carry a tub and others you received them on top.

We walked around and then return to our room to get rest to start our day early on Saturday. We woke up around 7 and went to Friendly’s for breakfast, then back to the Great Wolf Lodge for a time at the arcade. We spent about 2 hours at the arcade in the morning, which was nice. It wasn't crowded, by the evening the arcade was packed with people. I walked around and found the bowling alley and miniature golf. We played both which are across from each other. One of the items in the birthday package was 4 cards containing 8 paws each. We did spend a pretty penny in the arcade.

Afterwards we relaxed in our room. We received a knock on the door from room service and ask that they come back……

Then we went to the water park, when we tried to find a place to eat the pizza we had received from the party package, we searched high and low for a place to sit. It seems that people arrive early, place personal items on the tables and chair and leave. Nice!! Sounds more like a tropical resort than an indoor water park. A man came up to us and had offered us a table he had reserved for his family that was swimming. He was very nice and we eat our meal and thank him for being so kind to us. We really appreciated it. After swimming we returned to our room. Did I mention that housekeeping never returned to our room to clean and make the beds? We asked for an extra blanket which we received but no clean and made up room. So, that wasn’t the nicest part of our stay, or how no one would give us a chair to celebrate my daughter birthday cake at the sweet shop. When I called the front desk after calling 3 different times because no one picked up the phone. Robin told me that we couldn’t get our room made up because housekeeping employees were gone. She said we can get more towels and other items. It told her we would take the towels. Someone came with fresh towels and offered me more toiletries. I told her we had some and we didn’t need anymore. I placed the dirty towels in the bag they provided the fresh towels in.

We went to the Longhorn steak house to celebrate my daughter’s birthday. There are so many places to eat in the area. I was told that over the years, the area has grown in a positive direction. We return to the Great Wolf Lodge sweet shop to pick up my daughter's birthday cake. with 2 empty tables and no chairs. One group had 8 chairs that they were using and 2 separate individuals were sitting at the other tables saying seats. That was upsetting because we just wanted to use to chairs for a few minutes to enjoy celebrating my daughter’s birthday with her and eat some cake. We went up to our rooms because there wasn’t any place to sit, except the pool and we didn’t want to each inside the pool area. I was very surprised of how adults behaved, when my daughter had asked to use the chair.

On Sunday, we woke up early and went on the water slides that had the most lines. We found a table and chairs and we sat down and then went swimming. It was nice not having to carry our tubes up the stairs. We climbed to the top of the stairs and went down the top popular slides. After our second run, the line was getting longer. I noticed over 50 rubber bands on the ledge of the beams. Not sure if they come from the life guard being bored? It looked odd. But they were all over the beams. After the slides we went back to the wave pool and then relaxed until it was time to leave. I saw a large family looking for a place to sit and since we were leaving I told the mother that I was leaving and she could have the table we were using. She was so happy. I know how she felt, as we encountered someone on Saturday offering a table to us.

As we headed to our rooms, I spoke to the supervisor of housekeeping and mentioned that our rooms where not done yesterday. She apologized. I asked her if supervisors check the work to see if rooms were done. I was told it’s up to each housekeeping member to check off the rooms they have cleaned. I was told that the only room housekeeping doesn’t clean ur room is if you have a DO NOT DISTURB SIGN ON THE DOOR. Good to know, but we never had the disturb sign on our door. I think they need a better policy on checking to see if the rooms are done on the list. We did have the sofa bed opened and found snacks that we didn’t have inside the sofa bed and inside the sofa bed floor area. Ummm…. Housekeeping needs to clean up better. 

We had an appointment at the Spoons spa at 11:30 am and arrived a bit early. We had Marlin and Kate (I hope I got the spelling of the names correct), they were very helpful, we spoke and they both told me how much they enjoyed working at the Great Wolf lodge and how many years they had worked at the spa. This was great and positive information as it shows what a great company the Great Wolf Lodge is. The package also included 2 picks of colors to keep and tiaras to wear. My daughter was allowed to wear a pink bathrobe during her treatment. My daughter also received a chocolate facial which she enjoyed. The facial was extra which I paid for. After we were done, we took some pictures and got ready to leave. When we were leaving around 1pm, I noticed the long line of new customers waiting to enjoy their time at the Great Wolf lodge.

The elevators are very slow. Leaving the pool area, OMG it’s freezing cold from the air conditioner blowing. Our birthday weekend was relaxing. The price steep, even with 20% off.

After we left we went to Desakire Restaurant for lunch, under the children’s menu they had lobster for $25.99, which I thought was funny. For 3 people our bill came out to $175, which they included the tip. It was an expensive meal, that I paid for but it was fun and we had a nice time.

Great Wolf lodge should consider changing to an all inclusive place, including food would be great. I have a vacation scheduled for 7 days, 6 nights at an all inclusive resort in Cancun, Mexico and I’m paying $1,081.26, round trip tickets cost $800. I would be paying more money if I stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge for these many days, not including food.

For our 3 day weekend with 20% I paid $1487.29. Now that's an expensive birthday weekend for a family of 3. After I found out the cost, I told my family that if I do this again, it won't be until my daughter turns 13. But, I may consider going to an all inclusive resort in 3 years.

2 Thank happynewyorker
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for providing feedback in regards to your visit at Great Wolf Lodge - Poconos! We appreciate you taking the time to address an area where we can improve our service. We do rely on guest feedback to discover opportunities where we can better serve our guests. Your feedback will be discussed with our Housekeeping Team and they will be able to determine where we can make the most effective changes. We look forward to seeing you and your family back soon!
Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Overall we had an excellent stay but with a few little ticks. I still rated it 5 out of 5 because it really was a fun weekend. The best way to review it might be categories.

Room
We had 8 adults, a seven-year-old, and an infant squeezing into a fireplace loft suite (which sleeps 6 comfortably, 8 with two adults on the pull-out). The room was clean and the beds were comfy, but we would probably be better off with two rooms for a crew that size. We definitely made use of the fridge and microwave and really loved having the fireplace at this time of year.

Hotel
The lodge is very nicely decorated, especially for Christmas! Every inch that we walked was clean and professional looking. The staff were all friendly, esepcially the front desk and lifeguards. They have a fantastic wristband system- you put on a wristband when you arrive and it does everything. Opens your room, gets you into the waterpark, even allows you to buy souvenirs, food, and drinks by linking to your credit card. So nice not to be bogged down carrying valuables to the pools! A major "grrrr" moment though is the elevator. There are four total- two on the waaaaaay out wings that it doesn't make sense to use unless your room is down there, and two front and center near the lobby, waterpark, restaurant, etc. They are excruciatingly slow and with only two to serve so many people it was easy to get impatient. The staircases are laid out very inefficiently too with lots of extra walking so being on the 4th floor was a bit of a pain.

Waterpark
This is the heart and soul of Great Wolf, and it is the reason the rooms are so expensive. We had an absolute blast here! I'd say there are 4 major raft slides, 3 intermediate tube slides, 2 body slides, and few toddler slides, in addition to a lazy river, wave pool, activity pool, 2 hot tubs (the adults only one was a great escape!), and a huge fort with water guns and sprinklers galore. We found the best time to visit was between 7-9 at night. Most families with little kids were off having dinner and starting other activities so the lines were more than manageable. Even in the middle of Saturday afternoon, we didn't have to wait more than 15 minutes for the biggest slides.

Spa
I had a theraputic massage with Jess and it was wonderful! Professional and invigorating at a reasonable price. I would definitely recommend treating yourself to their services!

Other Activities
Blacklight minigolf was fun, but $6 for only 9 holes. My seven-year-old niece LOVED the Magic Quest game, though for the wand and everything was over $30. And watch out for the groups of kids running all over the place playing this game! Everyone loved the arcade, especially claw games and skeeball. For a little bit of grown-up time, we spent evenings at the Camp Critter bar where they mix up deilcious cocktails.

The snack bar in the pool area serves up delicious fries, and the treat shop next door to the water park had good, reasonably priced breakfast items (bagels, scones). We never tried the dinner buffet but overheard a few other guests raving about it.

So to sum up, it will certainly be expensive, but it will be fun! For us it was worth it. Like I said, try to go in the middle of the week for smaller crowds and discounted rooms. And definitely take advantage of the water park right before closing time.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor are a little hard to get to, but no noise from above!
2 Thank EmelyeKay
Northern New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We went with a family of 6 on December 7th. The room accommodated well - two queen beds and pull out couch. The rooms are a little worn and the halls are swarming with kids all day until about 11:00pm (they have the Magiquest games running up and down the halls). To give you an idea of our trips "fun level" my kids (9, 12, 14, 16 years old) ask me if we can skip this place from now on...

Here is my top 10 points/tips on Great Wolf.

1) The lodge is way overpriced and I would only go on a Groupon or if I could get a group rate. Our group was $285 on a Saturday night (over $300 after tax). The internet price for same room, a family suite, was $628 (LOL).

2) Each room has a refrigerator and microwave. Bring snacks and drinks as everything in the lodge is expensive. It's very common for folks to being coolers, drinks, foods etc. Room and bathroom was a nicely set up. A nice balcony with each room. They supply no shampoo or toiletries. Small flatscreen and the room was a little dark.

3) Use the water park early on your day of arrival. If you are checking in you can get there as early as 9:00am as you check in day. Check in to get your wristbands although you will not have a room yet. You can get changed in the waterpark bathroom (they have a changing area). On a Saturday they had our room ready at 2:30pm.

4) Walking into the arcade will cost you another $50- $100 in which your children will earn enough tickets ~ 3,000 to get $7.00 worth of prizes. They do have this deal where you get 2 hours of playing video games (about a dozen of them) for $10. This seemed like a very good deal and no ticket winning is involved.

5) Gift Shop - The gift shop was nice and was not over priced. What I do sometimes with my kids are to tell them they have "x" amount to spend i.e. 30 bucks - spend it in the arcade or spend it in the gift shop - their choice but they have $30. With $30 they could get several nice mementos of the lodge.

6) The mini bowling looked like a good deal at $5 a person.

7) Magiquest and a Magiquest wand (which you need to play) will cost over $30 a child. Although this game can keep them busy for hours. If they are under 10 be ready to follow them around and play the game with them - it can be fun for a while.

8) The Seafood Dinner Buffet was actually EXCELLENT. Shocking but it was very, very good. Hot and cold Crab legs, shrimp, pasta's etc. etc. $25 an adult and $10 a child. You can always opt into ordering Pizza but we found this one of the treats of our one night there.

9) The water park is overcrowded on the weekend - long waits and you will NEVER find your child if they go off into it. If they are old enough to go off on their own tell them to check in once in a while or you will not see them for hours. It is difficult to get a table or chair so if you go early set up camp. You can get a cabana for another $150 if you want - not a bad deal if you are there with 4 or more families - what's another 40 bucks. I hear the weekdays are better.

10) One Night is all you need. This is not a hotel where you want to spend many nights to visit the Outlet malls or the area. You are paying for the water park and some little entertainment "readings" and skits in the lobby of the lodge. You can do everything you want in one day.

6 Thank thecoooch
Glenwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Our trip was something my husband and I have wanted to do for quite a while. Due to the price of a stay, we waited until a deal presented itself, and we got a great deal with a Groupon. It was a surprise for our 11 year old and 3 year old! We went mid-week, which proved to be a great decision. Based on the many reviews that I read, weekends are extremely busy. If we were going to pay for the experience, we wanted to make the most out of it.

We LOVED that the water park could be used prior to check-in, however this was not an issue for us, our room was ready at 12:30 when we arrived. The water park was clean, which is very important to me. The bathrooms were also clean, which is much appreciated. I was happy to see how serious the life guards took their jobs. I never saw a life guard without their eyes scanning the water at the various rides. There was more than enough for my 3 year old to do, and my 11 year old would have stayed all night if it was open!
One small disappointment was the fact that both the wave pool and the Large water activity area both closed down for several hours. When you are paying a significant amount to use a water park, it's disappointing to not have everything up and running. Though I do realize that things happen, both of those activities were something my 3 year old could take advantage of.
The temperature of the water was very cool, which made it difficult to stay comfortable in-between rides or just taking a break. My 3 year old had the blue lips and blue toes after a few hours of playing. We brought our own drinks and snacks, which saved us a TON of money.

The room was clean, but a little worn. Again, for the price of the rooms, I expected them to be in excellent condition. The queen size bed had rips in the dust ruffle. There was a rip in the wallpaper in the bathroom, and the pull-out sofa was terribly uncomfortable. You could actually see the springs popping out. We had a difficult time regulating the temperature of the room and sleeping on a uncomfortable bed with a blower directly blowing on you led to a stiff neck and the sniffles.
We got a room on the top floor and although there was no noise above it, it was very noisy in the hallways. We expected this, being that it is a resort aimed at families and children, but come 10 pm, after a fun day of swimming, rest was hard to come by. I noticed a sign in the bathroom indicating that GWL was making an effort to be environmentally friendly and wished for guests to reuse towels, ect. That would be much easier to do if more hooks were provided in the bathroom for guests to dry their towels on. Multiple people using a room means many showers and many towels. With no place for them to properly dry, people are going to be less inclined to reuse them. We found that nothing really dried fully in our room, and there was no where to hang bathing suits, towel and cover-ups.

Although there are hibernation hours, which is a great idea, they did not seem to be monitored by the staff as closely as I would have liked.

We chose the Christmas season because we had heard the resort would be decorated , which it was! The Story by the clock was fantastic. My 3 year old just loved it, along with the snow in the lobby!! We did not see the actual story time by the fire, which I was disappointed with. I was hoping for more activities for the little ones, but Santa is only there on certain days, and many of the activities seem to take place on Thursday - Sunday.

We chose not to do the Magi Quest, due to our stay being one evening; however it did look like the kids who were involved were enjoying it. I'd like to see the staff impose more parent supervision though. Many children were running around yelling and not watching where they were going, with no adults in sight.

The bowling, which was 5 dollars per person, was very fun! Luckily, it was not crowded and my girls were able to take their time and get the most out of it. We did not do the mini golf, however the employee working there allowed us to walk though it and check it out.

The arcade was a hit with our 11 year old, but freezing! Very pricey as well, but should we go again, I now know the prices and will plan accordingly.

We did bring snacks and drinks, however we also dined at the buffet for breakfast and dinner. Although not the healthiest of choices, the servers were very kind and the food was decent with a good variety. Our breakfast server was fantastic. My daughter and husband had to leave breakfast for a health reason and management did not charge us for their meals, and allowed us to take their beverages to go.

This was, overall, a fun trip for my family. I plan on looking for deals in the future; but in order to enjoy it, sleep is important and the accommodations in the room would make me think twice, based on how little sleep we all received that evening. I would like to suggest having humidifiers for rent though. The environment is very dry, we had several nose bleeds and sinus issues due to this. Updating or renovating the rooms, for the amount that the patrons pay for their stay would make the value worth staying more than one night as well.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor, away from elevators and the Magi Quest hallways for the least amount of noise...
4 Thank lilyelwbuggy
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Let's see besides this place being a complete indoor zoo with amplified noise of kids screaming from the entry to the hallways this place has very little to offer but a headache. When you check in ask for Advil or ear plugs.

So let's simplify GWL: 1 wave pool, about 5 slides, a bunch of kiddie pools, 1 lazy river and a water works jungle gym. That sums up the water park.

Now for the rest of the so called activities, the arcade is decent but you can spend $50 in less than an hour but I guess that's to be expected since they don't charge enough for everything else including the stay. The spa was not something that we even considered as the prices averaged to be the same as a private spa unless you prefer little kids running around at every turn.
My personal favorite was the Magic Quest in the hallways of the hotel, this was especially fun for anyone that wasn't trampled by a stampede of kids running completely unattended by any of the parents and of course screaming and running was all part of the fun.

Now for the food, everything from soft drinks to a hamburger was so expensive it makes the Starbucks Cafe inside the lobby the most affordable meal you can get. The buffet is about as appealing as the food at Golden Corral.

Now for the staff, mostly local college kids and some adults here and there but I guess you really can't expect adults to deal with the constant screaming and running around that goes on at this place.

Overall I think you should consider something outdoors as I did. I took my family to the Jersey shore for one day and the kids had a better time with the sand and the ocean than the weekend we spent at GWL.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank notinterestedChicago
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I took her two kids -4 year old girl and 8 year old boy to Great Wolf for a one night stay. We had a blast! The resort was very clean, the staff was veey friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The food in the Loose Moose was excellent (although a bit expensive) but had a nice selection of veggies, pasta, seafood and poultry to choose from. Breakfast was awesome with the omelet bar and pancakes, waffles, and lots of fresh fruit. The water park was very clean and the life guards were VERY attentive. Story time at 8:00 pm in the lobby was so much fun for the kids to attend in their jammies. We would love to go back again!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank SUZANNAH S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

We overall had a great time, unfortunately we had a tough time on the PA turnpike. The food at the Buffett restaurant was great, we had special food cooked for Gluten Free. They have the Best chicken tenders gf and pizza was good! It is pricey if you do extra activities, buy the package and save money! Rooms are very Clean.Have Fun

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,235 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!