“Very nice experience-for 3 generations- but expensive!”
Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We went with our Son and His family of 4 Children! Since we came out from Washington State, and wanted a place to be with the family for at least one night- this worked out for us.

For the 8 of us for one night with a Cabana for the 2 days the cost was $1,000. Really expensive for one night in the Hotel, however with the water park included for 2 full days we decided to hang out with the kids there. The kids are 7- 9 and twins 11- so we thought it would be easier on us- being inside ( not sun lovers).

The water park was nice and clean- the towels were not scratchy- as I read previously- and the place did not smell - like most Motel pools. There were plenty of employees to watch over us.

We heard that the food was expensive- however - we made it work with Pizza and Cold drinks.
We stopped and fed everyone before we arrived- ate cold cereal in the room- and ordered from the snack shack in the water park in the afternoon. We enjoyed a full 24 hours of fun - with our Son and the kids.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank June S
Write a ReviewReviews (5,896)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was our second time staying at this hotel/resort. They have the system down to a science. At check-in we were given wrist bands that opened the door to our room and could also be connected to a charge card for easy purchasing at the various concessions, gift shop, restaurants etc. very convenient. Alyssa at check-in and Kelly in the dining room were friendly and the only ones worth mentioning. After that, anyone we came in contact with were nothing short of MISERABLE! Being given the "one minute" finger by one worker while she continued to talk to another worker, to having a water raft kicked on top of me by a life guard at the "lazy river" that was so jam-packed with rafts that if someone had been in trouble in the water a life guard would have had great difficulty and delay getting to them. And then there was the male bartender on the main floor (Jul 2), well he was just rude! Housekeeping left large supply carts in the hallways, sometimes one each side of the hall, making it difficult to get by until one was moved....that's just common sense and courtesy not to block the hallway! Service was very poor, slow and almost rude.....no one smiles. When I asked one manager (Michael, at the concession stand at the water park on July 3) what was going on, he said "I guess that's what happens when you're working for no pension".!!!!! Really!!!! The hot tub was dirty. While sitting in a chair I watched how a small child spat something out of his mouth (looked like a chewed up cherry) as he was walking along and I watched countless number of staff walk over it. It was still there the next day! The cost per night is expensive and does not include anything, and when booking they do not tell you about the resort fee, occupancy tax or Rooms County tax. Lockers could be rented one day at a time for $20 and you are refunded $10 (unreasonable) when the key is returned. All-in-all very disappointing this time and I will not be returning. I will more than likely look into other similar resorts and they are out there. Administration and management should get together and look into offering a course to staff on client relations, client satisfaction and delivery of friendly, courteous service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor as this is a family resort>
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank 1mmc1
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and providing us with the feedback from your stay. I am saddened to learn of the experience you had while staying with us and I have shared your review with the Management team at the resort.

Please know that when making reservations, rates are quoted plus taxes & resort fee per night. These taxes & fees are included in the total cost of your stay and appear in the confirmation e-mails we send for new reservations. If you ever have questions about your reservation, you can chat with a live agent on our website from 8am to 10pm CST prior to your arrival or speak with a member of our Guest Services time prior to your departure. We will be happy to go into the details of the cost of your stay.

We look forward to hosting your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We've been to two Great Wolf Lodges and this was the better. First, they give your kids wolf ears to wear upon check in. Next, they had a large area for small kids who don't like the wild behavior of the older kids. There were 5 slides just for the smaller kids (mine are 6 and 4) and a lazy river (which wasn't so lazy with all the kids running through it) but my kids enjoyed just the same. The lifeguards at the Great Wolf cannot be beat - they are on the ball 100% of the time, always moving and always aware. I was very annoyed that they shut this wonderful kids area down in the evening time b/c the lifeguards "couldn't see to the bottom of the pool." So the park is open until 9pm but 3 lifeguards stand guard around the kiddie section, which is about 1.5 feet deep to stop anyone from entering. Not cool. They should definitely fix this because it's ridiculous - it's the only section my kids truly enjoyed and we were kept from playing in it after around 5pm. Also there is a rule about making noise from 11pm to 7am but no one told the room above us. I don't know who these ppl are who let their kids jump on and across beds at 11pm and again at 3am but they should be beaten. So we were woken up at 3am by kids jumping above us - there isn't much I can say to do about that. The room was clean and check in couldn't happen until after 3pm. We didn't eat any food there so I can't comment on that - despite all this, we will return in the future - can't beat playing in a water park and no sun beaming down on you all day.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor - maybe then you can sleep without worrying about people jumping above you.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

After booking a quick weekend trip with my son and his family, I read some reviews that made me reconsider. However, don't let them influence you! It is not the Hilton, but when you are with little kids you want the rugged furniture that you don't have to worry about them scratching or damaging. We loved that the wrist bands are your room key, swim park entrance, and a way to charge incidentals (like Starbucks) to your room. I would not want to give children this access, but it was very convenient for the adults. My daughter-in-law is expecting, so my son and husband took our grandsons (3 and 5) on all of the crazy water slides and they loved it. But they equally loved the wave pool and the little ones' attractions. Without going into too much detail, we got Pup Passes for the boys which allowed them all kinds of fun stuff to do when they weren't swimming. The buffet in the Loose Moose was fine. It is not fine dining, but something for everyone. Housekeeping was good, the room was nice (we had a loft suite) and we had a great time. The pool was clean and there are many, many lifeguards who are taking their jobs seriously. With all the people I saw no injuries. We made sure to shower after the day of swimming, because of the chemicals, but we always do that anyway. I saw no evidence of any of the negative reviews I had read. It you want a memorable time for your family of all ages, go there. It costs a lot, but when you add up what you would pay for each thing separately, it isn't much different than any similar experience. It is cheaper on the weekdays, but we were looking for a quick place to meet up with my son's family since we live in different states and this was fun. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We had a room on the fourth floor which eliminated hearing noise above us. They are building a rope...
1  Thank Mommakirby
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We went in January with my 3 year old son and all three of us had an amazing time. My husband waited on the check in line while my son and I wondered around checking the lobby area out. Once we had our wrist bands we headed straight to our room to get changed into our suits!

The room was huge and much bigger than we needed for the 3 of us but having the extra space was nice. The bathroom was clean and the tub was perfect for a family.

The hotel hallways and lobby are warm! I was fine walking around in flip flops, jeans and a t-shirt. However, leaving the water park it felt chilly since the air in the water park area is very warm.

The water park was incredible. They have each section separate from one another so it's easy to keep an eye on you little on. We spent a lot of time in the wadding area which had a few slides that my son could go on by himself and also the large "hot tub". That was basically just a small pool that was very warm. It did get crowded in there though. The tube rides were a blast too. My husband and I took turns going with our friends who had come with us watching the kids so we could go on. The roller coaster water slide was wild and so was the one with the disco lights! The chlorine was very high and did bother my eyes the first day but by the second day it wasn't so bad.

We brought our own food for dinner the first night and ate in our room which was great. The rest of the night we spent playing MagiQuest!! SO MUCH FUN!! We had purchased the Paw Pass which is one of three passes you can get for the kids. It allows them to take advantage of all the fun extras while saving Mom & Dad some cash. MagiQuest is a virtual scavenger hunt with clues in a little book that have the kids running all over the hotel! Each kid gets a magic wand that is programmed to them for their journey. We could have done it all night but it shuts down at 10pm. There was also a puppet show, story time and a dance party that night in the main lobby area that was fun. I would get to the puppet show early though because it was very crowded.

The next morning we ate breakfast at the buffet which we purchased ahead of time at check-in for a discount. The food was great and there was a lot to choose from.

After breakfast we went straight to the water park for some more fun until check out. Even though we checked out we were still able to stay and use the facilities. We played some more MagiQuest, made a dragon in the Build-a-Wolf station, played in the arcade and got a glitter tattoo. (all of that was part of the Paw Pass).

I think the coolest part of our stay was while we were in the water park and it started to snow outside!

I must say though I would never pay full price to stay here. I went with a group so it was discounted and I have seen Groupon deals and specials on their website as well.

Overall it was a fantastic stay and we are really looking forward to our trip this coming December!

Room Tip: The hotel is very long and some of the rooms were so far down the hall which made it a long walk to...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Petitefleur816
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Great Wolf in PA was clean and fun. Plenty of things to do on the grounds as well as the surrounding area. Kids will have a blast. Rooms were clean and well kept. Breakfast dining was good, make sure to book it on line in advance you'll get a better rate.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

First the positives:

1 - It's kept quite clean, especially the water park.
2 - The staff is very helpful and courteous
3 - My son loves the atmosphere, the wizard game, etc. Works great for him.
4 - Go when you can use the outside pool - nice to have that option. Have been when it's closed and it's not as good of an experience.

Now the negatives:

1 - It's very expensive. Maybe it's just me, but the consistent charging for everything all day is just a little much. I'd rather pay more to go and let things like the arcade and the golf be more reasonable.
2 - We have stayed here a few times and this time our bathroom was tiny and as dark as a closet. Perhaps it was a different type of room - hard to keep up on all of the names - but the bathroom was not pleasant. This definitely needs to be fixed. Last time we were there (before this past visit) we had a very nice bathroom but the rest of the room was identical. Again, not sure if it was a different room type, but won't stay there again with the tiny, dark bathrooms. Call ahead.
3 - The food is really blah. But, you don't go to a place like this for the food. So take it for what it is. And bring bottled water - expensive at hotel.

Overall, it's great for what it is - a kids hotel and water park. I am sure we will be back, but hopefully in a better room and with better food preparations on our end.

1  Thank newyorkcitycouple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Skytop
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!