“Lots to do” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Winsted, Connecticut
“Lots to do”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I went to Great Wolf Lodge with my 7 year old and 70 year old parents. We all had a blast. The hotel and water park are very clean. The staff is extremely friendly and always willing to help. When we booked the room, I didn't ask for a balcony and when we got there we realized that a balcony would have been nice. They didn't have any rooms with the balconies available that day, but they did the next day and let us switch rooms at no extra charge. The only downfall is the cost of eating at the hotel. We did the breakfast buffet one morning and the food was delicious, but REALLY pricey. The rooms have a mini fridge, microwave and coffee pot.....I recommend using them. There are plenty of near by restaurants to choose from.
There is more than enough there to keep you busy. We stayed 4 nights and my son still could have kept busy for another 2 nights. At the waterpark, the lifeguards are very good. They constantly have their eyes on everyone.
Also, the Crayola Factory isn't too far away. That was a fun day trip.
Overall, it was a very relaxing and fun vacation. We would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room with a balcony, well worth it.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Turkish first
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have to preface my review with the fact that I think I went on a less crowded day, so I didn't run in to the problems others did. I went on July 3rd and got there around 4:00. I told my wife that I read online about terrible check in lines so I'll drop her off at the door so she can wait on line, and I'll park and unload the car and bring the kids in. By the time I parked the car she sent me a text that she was the next one on line. She was outside within minutes, all finished with the check in. So either the stories I read were greatly exaggerated or they've cleaned up the process.
We requested a top floor room so we didn't have anybody above our heads, which is a major concern of mine any time you go somewhere with a lot of kids. I have 2 criteria for my hotel rooms: 1. Clean and 2. Quiet. The room was definitely clean which I was happy about. It got pretty loud when what sounded like a family of 100 checked in next to us around 11:00 PM. But somebody must have complained because I heard security come by at one point and ask them to quiet down and they did. All in all though I was very happy with my room.
Water park was very enjoyable for my 7 and 4 year old boys. They loved the water slides and the wave pool and the giant bucket of water. Again it was quiet on the 3rd so we had no lines. Not so much on July 4th when the bigger water slides had 10 minute waits. Would like to see them have more workers at the top of the line to keep the lines moving faster. Four or five water slides and only two workers, seems like something can be improved.
My biggest complaint at the water park is with the tables. There are a limited number of tables (which is expected at a water park) and people just put their stuff down at them in the morning and walk away. Not a big deal until you go to eat lunch and there is nowhere to sit because all the tables are holding towels and flip flops. I even saw where a family pushed together two tables, put one flip flop on each chair, and walked away. I would love to see them impose a rule (and enforce it) that tables must have people at them and can't be saved with towels. Maybe put signs at the tables.
Another complaint, not that it effected me as much as it just bothered me, is that the wristbands are very easy to take on and off. So some of the larger families I think share wristbands because nobody checks them once you're inside. I saw a lot of people in there without wristbands. Not that it effects me because I'm not seeing any of that money, but as a rule follower I'm bothered by it.
My 7 year old LOVED the MagicQuest. I think he almost liked it better than the water park. And my 4 year old loved the bowling alley because it was just his size. Small ball and small lanes with bumpers are perfect for little kids.
If at all possible, skip the buffet dinner. I love buffets because I love to eat, but this food was not very good.
If I can leave just one tip, it is SO VERY VERY IMPORTANT to try to go on less crowded days. Maybe weekdays I guess? The crowd size in the water park and the crowd size in the hotel when playing the quest games will make or break your trip. I could see it on July 4th, the day we checked out that the crowds were growing and it was becoming more frustrating than it was the day before.

Room Tip: Shoot for a top floor so no kids above your heads.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have been to the Great Wolf Lodge several times. The last time I visited was the first weekend in June. This place is great for families that have kids of varied ages. I have an 11, 9, and 4 year old and there is plenty for all of them to do.
I think the staff and lifeguards are great. Everyone is friendly and helpful.
Yes the place seems expensive. I always book with a coupon code. If I want to take my family of 5 to any outing for the day , plus stay overnight, it is costly adventure. I think when you add everything up Great Wolf is great value.
We always order the pizza to go and eat in our room for dinner and bring our own snacks and breakfast stuff for the next morning.

1 Thank jennifer s
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Our 7th trip here since 2007.
This was a quick weekend trip with 6 kids and 2 adults. Booked majestic bear suite for $650.00, a bit pricey but fair considering it was a long weekend. Impressed with their improved menu in the cafe by the water park. More healthier and vegetarian options were much appreciated. The coffee shop at bear paw serves only regular coffee which is a change from before and I am not a fan of Starbucks there. It's over rated. May be management should consider Dunkin donuts or subway in that space. Rooms and park areas were very clean. House keeping amazing- delivered extra towels and shampoo within minutes of our call.
Highlight of their excellent services.
I fell sick in middle of the night. They came to clean and unclog the bathroom. Then I called front desk to ask for any antacid or pharmacy nearby. They actually had the security open the gift shop to get me the antacid. Never seen this level of service before.
We will continue to return here.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Vacationmammy
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My daughter (11 yrs) found this place online when we were traveling from NYC to Pennsylvania. She and my other daughter (12 yrs) were so excited. They were not disappointed! The indoor water park had awesome rides and kept them busy for hours. The outdoor pool was nice as well. Very clean and was managed very smoothly. A lot for the kids to do. An interactive game using electronic wands kept them running the 3 floor and the hallways adjacent to the lobby. Many kids running wild. I am glad our room was not in this area as they are allowed to play until 11 pm when it is shut down. Really cool wristbands that allowed you access to the room and cards eliminating the need for keys and $$$. Starbucks onsite was a plus. A very memorable trip and if we are ever in the Poconos again we will for sure visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lobby.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ebbenny
Camas, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We went with our Son and His family of 4 Children! Since we came out from Washington State, and wanted a place to be with the family for at least one night- this worked out for us.

For the 8 of us for one night with a Cabana for the 2 days the cost was $1,000. Really expensive for one night in the Hotel, however with the water park included for 2 full days we decided to hang out with the kids there. The kids are 7- 9 and twins 11- so we thought it would be easier on us- being inside ( not sun lovers).

The water park was nice and clean- the towels were not scratchy- as I read previously- and the place did not smell - like most Motel pools. There were plenty of employees to watch over us.

We heard that the food was expensive- however - we made it work with Pizza and Cold drinks.
We stopped and fed everyone before we arrived- ate cold cereal in the room- and ordered from the snack shack in the water park in the afternoon. We enjoyed a full 24 hours of fun - with our Son and the kids.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank June S
Pearl River, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was our second time staying at this hotel/resort. They have the system down to a science. At check-in we were given wrist bands that opened the door to our room and could also be connected to a charge card for easy purchasing at the various concessions, gift shop, restaurants etc. very convenient. Alyssa at check-in and Kelly in the dining room were friendly and the only ones worth mentioning. After that, anyone we came in contact with were nothing short of MISERABLE! Being given the "one minute" finger by one worker while she continued to talk to another worker, to having a water raft kicked on top of me by a life guard at the "lazy river" that was so jam-packed with rafts that if someone had been in trouble in the water a life guard would have had great difficulty and delay getting to them. And then there was the male bartender on the main floor (Jul 2), well he was just rude! Housekeeping left large supply carts in the hallways, sometimes one each side of the hall, making it difficult to get by until one was moved....that's just common sense and courtesy not to block the hallway! Service was very poor, slow and almost rude.....no one smiles. When I asked one manager (Michael, at the concession stand at the water park on July 3) what was going on, he said "I guess that's what happens when you're working for no pension".!!!!! Really!!!! The hot tub was dirty. While sitting in a chair I watched how a small child spat something out of his mouth (looked like a chewed up cherry) as he was walking along and I watched countless number of staff walk over it. It was still there the next day! The cost per night is expensive and does not include anything, and when booking they do not tell you about the resort fee, occupancy tax or Rooms County tax. Lockers could be rented one day at a time for $20 and you are refunded $10 (unreasonable) when the key is returned. All-in-all very disappointing this time and I will not be returning. I will more than likely look into other similar resorts and they are out there. Administration and management should get together and look into offering a course to staff on client relations, client satisfaction and delivery of friendly, courteous service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor as this is a family resort>
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank 1mmc1
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and providing us with the feedback from your stay. I am saddened to learn of the experience you had while staying with us and I have shared your review with the Management team at the resort.

Please know that when making reservations, rates are quoted plus taxes & resort fee per night. These taxes & fees are included in the total cost of your stay and appear in the confirmation e-mails we send for new reservations. If you ever have questions about your reservation, you can chat with a live agent on our website from 8am to 10pm CST prior to your arrival or speak with a member of our Guest Services time prior to your departure. We will be happy to go into the details of the cost of your stay.

We look forward to hosting your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,231 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!