“Surprisingly fun” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Surprisingly fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I'm a picky traveler, and am very suspect of places like this. But I was pleasantly surprised.

We brought three kids: 14, 12 and 9. They all had a blast and would come back. I thought the older two would be bored, but that wasn't the case. I think 4 days is plenty though.

Here's a breakdown for you.

Hotel rooms
Large clean rooms. We got a Kids Cabin room so the kids had their own little place to watch tv and hang out before bed. Bunk beds and a single bed. The rest of the room was very spacious, and had a couch and table, sitting area, second flat screen tv, fridge, microwave, gas fireplace, etc. great for hanging out and not feeling cramped. Also a nice deck.

Tons of choices - and healthy ones - for everyone and very fresh. There aren't really a lot of places to go outside of the hotel but the restaurant is good. We ate breakfast and dinner there 3 days, but had breakfast and dinner offsite one day. We brought sandwich material for lunches in the room. Omelette chef, pasta chef, etc. And...a Starbucks right in the lobby. ;-)

Activities
The huge water park is the main draw. Right in the hotel. Lots of things for everyone there including an outdoor pool. Couple of bars and places for food in the water park. The lines are not very long as there are lots of different water slides. The hotel may want to think about putting an extra employee on each slide level to speed things up a bit. Hours and hours of fun, and the stairs are a good workout!

They also have a killer ropes course which is extra, but at a very reasonable fee for hotel guests. The kids loved it and would have stayed on it for hours. Highly recommended and very safe.

Inside the hotel they have a ton of other things to do, including MagiQuest, neon golf, bowling, arcade, and a bunch of shops and places to eat.

The lobby has lots of shows that little kids will love, but our kids were a little old for it.

The Area
Not a lot around but that's the idea. Pretty mountain town with nice fresh air and lots of space. There is an outlet mall just down the street if you're into that, and a decent little brewery/pub about 10 mins away. We also took a day and went white water rafting at Pocono Whitewater. Awesome time! Will review separately. About 30 min drive from hotel.

Convenience
They give you wrist bands which double as room keys and credit card. Very nice. Huge parking lot. No charge.

Cost
It's not cheap, but I also didn't think it was over the top. The rooms were what you'd expect. You get what you pay for and I'd rather pay a little more and have a nice room. Dinner buffet (good food) was $20/adult and $10/kid 12 and under. You can buy breakfast buffet vouchers too. Also very good.

So I would recommend it. Have not been to the other locations but can say the Scotrun location is worth visiting if you have kids. If not, it's probably not for you.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank tummyrope

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Turkish first
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Kids had a great time at Great Wolf Lodge. they did a nice job having enough activities for kids of all ages. Kids especially loved the new ropes course and the wand games. I would come back with kids, but things to know if this is your first trip:

1. Lots of Added Costs. Other than the water park, pretty much every other activity is extra money. The other things that are free might include Bingo and story telling. So, if you go expect to pay more money.

2. Limited healthy options. Fudge, all you can eat buffets with whip cream and chocolate sprinkles, pizza--all very yummy, but all very unhealthy. There are limited number of healthy options across all the restaurants.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

My children loved everything about this place! The youngest enjoyed the characters, building an animal with her extra paw pass and story time, my middle son LOVED the magi-quest wands and aracade, my older daughter loved the water park. We added the breakfast package to our room and it was good food, however it's offered until 11am and you still have guests inline waiting to sit down, why do start cleaning up and not making certain foods after 10a.m.? We heard the dinner buffet price was high, we were happy to dinner out each night, many local and chain restaurants close by. We had a maintenance issue, our toilet chain broke the front desk was a little short on the situation, "we have more urgent issues and only one guy on shift". Hello you are at max capacity according to your staff and hundreds of rooms! Nevertheless he came in 15 minutes and was the friendliest staff I met there. My children all loved the animated characters on the big screen in the lobby, but please spend a few of my bucks to fix the audio on it. The sound cuts in and out making the nasty static noises! The waterpark was awesome, and we didn't mind standing in lines. I do wish there were more hosts of fun. Staff that could direct folks or give out info, or help kids with quests. Yes there were enough help but running a maxed out hospitality mecca geared towards kids on a skeleton staff, will wear everyone out. I am sure we will go back, just hoping its not during maximum occupancy!.

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
Hicksville, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Starting on a positive note...
I contacted cust serv. and explained that the 4:00 check-in time would be tough for us and they made sure our room was ready by 12:30. That was very helpful!
The room was nice. Spacious. Clean. The hotel is decent. Fun/cool decor. Interactive games for kids to play as they walk around.
There is a new ropes course that our 12-yr-old family member enjoyed. The waterpark is decent too.
Arcade is fun for older kids and adults!
The not-so-positive...
--There are a "few" restaurants that are all connected...it's one buffet w/ three places to sit down???? Unless I misunderstood this was a very bizarre concept. Although the waitress will come and take your beverage order there's NO PLACE TO SIT DOWN AND HAVE YOUR ORDER TAKEN IN THE WHOLE HOTEL! How inconvenient is that?! Esp w/ kids.
(My husband and I were with our 2-yr-old son and his 12-yr-old sister.) Adding to that was the lack of high chairs downstairs where the water park is and a couple of casual places. Of course it is convenient to get some pizza but it's impossible w/ a small child to not have a high chair to eat the pizza! They couldn't find any and said we could go eat upstairs at the more expensive restaurant. Uh no.
--I needed extra pillows as I am 8 months pregnant. My husband went to the front desk and they put in the order to housekeeping. He came back to the room a couple hours later and there were no pillows. (I was trying to sleep unsuccessfully at this point.) He went back downstairs and asked about it and they apologized and said they'd call again. No pillows ever came! :( I complained at the desk the next day and she said we could have a late check-out leave time.
--the crazy lonnnng lines at the waterpark. We went on weekdays and my husband and his sister sometimes gave up b/c it was just taking too darn long to get on the ride.
--my husband was shocked that a man got on the most high-level ride w/ what appeared to be a 2-yr-old baby even though there was a height minimum (of course). The attendant didn't say a word but ppl were looking and shocked that he would do that.
--we went for a story time w/ a cranky baby and the story tellers did not come at the time that was posted on the sign by the fireplace where they were supposed to be. i asked at the desk and she didn't know when they would come...she said "sometimes they're late," we waited about 15 minutes but they didn't come.
i wouldn't go back. i found the waterpark hotel at six flags great escape splashwater kingdom to be much better and baby-friendly.

1 Thank jen p
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Jen,

We greatly appreciate the feedback from your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and I am disappointed to learn of the difficulties you had while staying with us. Please know this is not customary for us and does not meet with the standards we have set for providing exceptional guest service.

Our main dining facilities, Loose Moose Cottage Buffet and Camp Critter Bar & Grille are located in the same area, but have specific seating areas. To one side you have seating for the buffet where a server will assist you in your dining experience and on the other is seating for the bar & grille. Here you will have a server provide the customary dining experience when ordering off of a menu. If needed, high chairs can be provided to either area upon request.

Veteran guests that stay with young children often utilize strollers they bring from home to help provide seating solutions when dining in other areas of the resort.

We hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I (grandparents) took our son's family for their third visit to GWL. It is a themed venue as the name suggests to Disney like proportions. The kids love it of course. The wolf ear headbands which were given to the kids at check-in were cute. Long check-in lines. Friendly and helpful staff. Food was marginal in quality as evidenced by our having to ingest Tums after eating. I would suggest eating off the property if possible or take your own food. We had a great lunch at Barley Creek Brewing Company just 5 minutes away. There is a small frig and microwave in the room. Take your own paper good supplies and utensils. A serious lack of towel bars exist in the bathrooms. A sign suggests that you may want to be green and hang up towels to indicate that they do not need to be washed. We were given 8 towels in our room but only room to hang up 2. This means folks are hanging wet items all over stuffed or wooden furniture. The wood tables showed significant wear from wet items. I would suggest the hotel add a laundry string in the tub and add more towel bars in the bathroom. As a guest if you have room in your trunk you could pack in a portable drying rack to hang wet items. This is a serious design flaw considering this facility is all about water and things get wet. Make sure to pack water shoes for the water park. No need to pack towels, there are plenty available. Be prepared for LOTS of constant noise in water park first from all the water and the mechanics to make the place function. We had to yell at each other just to be heard I agree with others that life guards are very attentive. This is a very busy place and not one for peace and quiet. Lots of smiles and laughter however. Mid afternoon hours seemed busiest due to the overlap of guests checking in and checking out.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor which meant no need to wait for busy elevator but also meant we hea...
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marian, thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and sharing your feedback with us! I am glad your grandchildren had a great time and enjoyed receiving wolf ears at check-in.

Each suite comes with a clothesline in the shower to hang wet swimsuits and guests are also able to drape wet clothing over the shower rod as well if extra space is needed.

We look forward to hosting your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

From the kindness of the front desk to the cleanliness of the room, this hotel was impeccable.
The food was delicious.
The entertainment was off the hook. There was the waterpark and an exciting and interactive game that had us running all over the resort.
A must visit for any family. Worth every cent.

• Stayed December 2013
      Rooms
1 Thank EriKat73
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Been here about 5 times in the past 3 years, our most recent trip was in February and is always an absolute blast! Some things were a little iffy with it but i'll talk about that in a little bit, here are some tips that'll most likely help you out especially if it's going to be your first time at GWL...

-water park is least busiest from 4pm to closing
-friendly's located 10 minutes down the road, make a right when exiting
-sign up for their email newsletter for great sales/deals
-arrive an hour before check in time to use the water park while you wait for your room (it might even be ready by then)
-try to request a room on ground level or basement level, much less noise/crowds + closer to the water park!

If it's going to be your first time at GWL I would say try the buffet only once just to try it out but other than that don't eat there ever again in my opinion. The best place to eat in-resort is Hungry As A Wolf, for $25 you get a salad, 6 garlic knots, a regular sized pizza and a bottle of soda which is the best deal. Once again there is a Friendly's located only 10 minutes away along with a Red Robins!

Magi Quest can get a bit pricey but the kids could play it for hours on end, your kids are probably going to ask for it because literally the whole resort is playing the game by 7pm.. sometimes they have deals going on so be sure to ask, in my opinion it's a fun game due to the fact that it's a scavenger type theme, another great activity is the glow in the dark mini golf place.

The reason why our most recent trip was iffy is because of some little issues.. a kid pooped in the water park and it took probably 15 or so minutes for someone to finally clean it up, like ew. Next thing is that there was food in our sheets, the manager at the time gave us 50% off one night and free breakfast at the buffet which I guess shows good customer service. The resort is also getting a little tired and in need of some of TLC!

To really wrap this review up all I have to say is just remember you're at a KIDS resort. The staff/life guards have always been extremely friendly and never have I had any problems. We will be returning to GWL but will most likely be checking out the new location in Boston :) "Have a howlin good time"

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank TylersTravels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,230 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!