“Tons of fun, but they nickle and dime you for everything!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Great Wolf Lodge

Great Wolf Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Port Deposit, Maryland
“Tons of fun, but they nickle and dime you for everything!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Last weekend was our third trip to GWL in the Poconos. We always have loads of fun, but the only thing included in your room rate is the room and the water park....NOTHING else. Every other activity has a fee associated with it. They have several options on site for eating. But get this, the buffet charge per person...doesn't include the drink! They charge for that separately. Adult dinner was $21.99 and they can't include a 10 cent fountain drink with that? We only ate breakfast in the restaurant once and for 2 adults and 2 children, the bill was $61. We typically bring as much food as we can cram in the car. There are microwaves and refrigerators in the guest rooms. We also go off site for dinner.

I have to say that the staff is super and the lifeguards are so attentive! The rooms are spotless and large for hotel rooms. The queen sized beds were super comfy. If you are staying in one of the special rooms like the Wolf Den, the bunk beds have a mattress covered in vinyl. The kids say they aren't comfy at all and you get sweaty laying on them.

You will have a great time and so will your kids, but be prepared to pay for it. Magiquest, the 3D theater, mini-golf, bowling ally, new ropes course (which is amazing!), etc. all cost extra. By the time we left after 3 days and 2 nights, I think we had spent nearly $1000.00. I haven't gotten the bill yet and am dreading it.

Oh and the wifi is dreadful. I had to do a bit of work each morning and couldn't even hardly get on the internet, much less my work email, until I used my i-phone as a hot spot.

Room Tip: If you can get on the 4th floor, you won't hear people above you.
3 Thank JudgeGirl
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and providing us with the feedback from your stay! The commentary from your stay is greatly appreciated and has been shared with our Management team at the resort to review internally.

Our location in the Poconos offers a discounted breakfast package that can be added to an overnight stay for as many mornings as you wish! For exact details, please visit us online and chat with a live Great Wolf Representative for more information.

We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Turkish first
Santa Monica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here for 1 night in July - my wife and 2 kids (age 7 and 3).

Overall, we had fun. However, the place is very expensive. We're talking $400 for 1 night…and that's with a discount. I'm not sure this place was worth that.

The rooms were very large and very nice. We got the regular room and it was still very big. It had 2 beds and then a separate couch area.

We spent the day at the water park. It was fun…kids had a good time…but I was slightly disappointed. There wasn't that many water slides (5 adults and 2 kids) and most of the adult ones had really long lines. We were there on a Monday and it was still crowded. Plus, they were just very inefficient. For example, the big 3 adult slides only have 2 lines that feed into them (vs. 3) and only 2 workers at the top - so one worker is handling 2 slides, which means that you have to wait until that worker is ready to take you. Plus, as soon as they start socializing with each other, that delays things even further. Thus, it was like 30-45 minutes wait for each slide. With better efficiencies, it could have been half that time. Very disappointing.

As for food, we thought that was fine. Some people here have posted that food isn't great but we thought it was fine. We had lunch at the waterpark and we had the buffet dinner and both were good - and I did not find the prices to be outrageous. The one thing I did not like about the buffet dinner was that they charged extra for drinks (soda, lemonade, etc.) and at $3 per drink, that was not right.

After dinner, we did the night activities. We did the Story Explorers for the kids - where you go around the hotel and find spots that help you complete a story - but the problem was that many of the spots just didn't work. They told us ahead of time that 3 were not working (and took off a few bucks) but in reality, maybe 6 or more were not working (which was about 1/3rd of the total spots for the game). I almost was expecting another discount but they didn't give it to us.

Plus, while we were doing the Story Explorers, the hotel was playing music in the front lobby and it was super loud so even the spots that worked, you could barely hear what they were saying since music was blasting throughout the hotel. So that ruined the experience a bit and nobody told us ahead of time about that.

They also had a MagiQuest or ShadowQuest game (for older kids) where you also go around the hotel and find spots and get info but the problem there was that so many people were doing this that there were crowds at many spots. Plus, we were told a lot of the spots were not working properly.

Finally, when my little kid tried to watch this animatronic show in the lobby with the characters, it was very hard to hear because the acoustics were bad.

As for check-in and check-out, I called and they said I could check out at 1pm but yet they formally checked me out at 10:45am without telling me - thus shutting off my room key to charge anything. When I went to the front desk, they didn't really do anything other than to just ask me to use my credit card instead of room key. So that was annoying. Plus, I had a $25 credit to use and they forgot to apply it - so they just took it off the bill at the end.

Overall, it was an ok experience. Would I recommend it? Sure…but only for 1 day. We came late on Sunday so just spent Monday at the hotel and left late. If I were to recommend it to others, I would say come at 2-3pm on one day so you can spend some time at hotel that day and night and then spend the entire following day. So for the money, you get 1.5-2 days of fun there. But to pay $400 for multiple nights? I don't think it's worth it at all - especially with some of the things mentioned above that take away from the experience. It's a good 2 day/1 night trip. Plus, I hope they fix the things I mention here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank seth2930
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Seth,

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and providing us with such detailed feedback! I have shared your concerns with our Management team at the resort to discuss internally as we are always looking for areas of opportunity to improve for future guests.

With reservations that include a resort credit, please know that these credits must be used prior to checkout on your day of departure as they are tied to your room account. Resort credits can be used towards a variety of items at the resort, such as dining facilities, various activities & amenities, and both spas. Exceptions would be using it towards room rates, add-on packages, guest passes & alcohol.

I hope you find this information useful and will plan a return trip soon!

Oxford, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This will be the second time that we have visited the GWL in the Pocono's. The last time was about 5 years ago. Just as before, we had a nice time but what we noticed this time is that the facility is starting to show its age. There is a lot of rust showing in the waterpark, some signs were peeling and the plywood underneath was separating. There were visible scum like water stains around the hot tubs and there was a ton of dust on all flat surfaces. While I understand water and metal = some rust, some paint and a detailed cleaning of the entire water park would be beneficial. The outside pool was very nice and was well maintained. We did not do the new climbing park this time but it looked like everyone was enjoying themselves there.

The positive aspect of Great Wolf Lodge is the staff. Everyone is always very friendly and helpful. There could have been more staff present in the water park to keep the lines moving. At times there were only one staff member running 4 slides at the same time which as one would expect slowed the fun down and created long lines. Regardless, the staff was awesome!

While the price of Great Wolfe lodge is not cheap, it does include the passes to the waterpark which you can start to use before your room in ready and for the entire day that you check out. There are showers that are available to use before you head out for home.

Cost of the food is a little steep with the exception of the pizza place that was average in price. We offset our food expenses by packing our own food; making sandwiches and having cereal in our room. There are small refrigerators in all of the rooms. The rules state that you cannot take your own food into the water park but I noticed there were a lot of people that did.

So overall I would take the family back again for some more fun in a couple of years but highly suggest that the facility manage take some advice and have some maintenance work done.

Room Tip: We used a AAA discount. You will not be in your room a lot so I would not spend the money to have t...
1 Thank Giving_advice1
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and sharing your experience with us! We appreciate the feedback you have provided in regards to the condition of the waterpark, which is why we have scheduled maintenance in September. The lodge will be closing for a short period and during this closure we will be performing general maintenance in the waterpark, as well as deep cleaning in the public and room areas. For more details, you can chat us online and speak with a live Great Wolf Representative from 8am to 10pm CST.

We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Garrison
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The idea of this place is great. A kid focused resort is a great thing.
Pros: The rooms are a fun space for the kids & clean. The water park has something for everyone. And the activities are pretty endless.
Cons: It's expensive, keep your eye out for deals long before you plan to go. The food...a lot is tremendously salty and bordering on institutional rather than catered food. Make sure to bring some of your own. The quest games are the best part but are marred by the wands or objects going continually unresponsive. The quests are chaotic without much clear direction at first, lots of patience is needed. Lastly, they change the amount of tickets needed for the prizes in the arcade. It happened twice while we were there. Walked in and one prize we wanted was 1500 tickets. An hour later, the price was changed to 2000. I don't know if it's time of day that they do it or the transition into the weekend that makes them raise it. But it happened twice quite obviously. The worst being that the price of one of the items was changed over in their computer system but not on the wall. So, when we asked for it, it wouldn't register in their system. They couldn't figure out why and went back to ask management what the issue could be. When they returned, they came out with a ladder saying sorry, the price is wrong you'll have to pick something else and climbed up to change the wall price.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Nicole-5678
Nicole,

Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and sharing your experience with us! I am saddened to learn of the difficulties you had while playing MagiQuest. If there are ever technical issues with a wand or any of the game components, please let us know so that we can try and provide a resolution in a timely manner.

We look forward to welcoming your family again soon!

Wellesley, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I'm a picky traveler, and am very suspect of places like this. But I was pleasantly surprised.

We brought three kids: 14, 12 and 9. They all had a blast and would come back. I thought the older two would be bored, but that wasn't the case. I think 4 days is plenty though.

Here's a breakdown for you.

Hotel rooms
Large clean rooms. We got a Kids Cabin room so the kids had their own little place to watch tv and hang out before bed. Bunk beds and a single bed. The rest of the room was very spacious, and had a couch and table, sitting area, second flat screen tv, fridge, microwave, gas fireplace, etc. great for hanging out and not feeling cramped. Also a nice deck.

Tons of choices - and healthy ones - for everyone and very fresh. There aren't really a lot of places to go outside of the hotel but the restaurant is good. We ate breakfast and dinner there 3 days, but had breakfast and dinner offsite one day. We brought sandwich material for lunches in the room. Omelette chef, pasta chef, etc. And...a Starbucks right in the lobby. ;-)

Activities
The huge water park is the main draw. Right in the hotel. Lots of things for everyone there including an outdoor pool. Couple of bars and places for food in the water park. The lines are not very long as there are lots of different water slides. The hotel may want to think about putting an extra employee on each slide level to speed things up a bit. Hours and hours of fun, and the stairs are a good workout!

They also have a killer ropes course which is extra, but at a very reasonable fee for hotel guests. The kids loved it and would have stayed on it for hours. Highly recommended and very safe.

Inside the hotel they have a ton of other things to do, including MagiQuest, neon golf, bowling, arcade, and a bunch of shops and places to eat.

The lobby has lots of shows that little kids will love, but our kids were a little old for it.

The Area
Not a lot around but that's the idea. Pretty mountain town with nice fresh air and lots of space. There is an outlet mall just down the street if you're into that, and a decent little brewery/pub about 10 mins away. We also took a day and went white water rafting at Pocono Whitewater. Awesome time! Will review separately. About 30 min drive from hotel.

Convenience
They give you wrist bands which double as room keys and credit card. Very nice. Huge parking lot. No charge.

Cost
It's not cheap, but I also didn't think it was over the top. The rooms were what you'd expect. You get what you pay for and I'd rather pay a little more and have a nice room. Dinner buffet (good food) was $20/adult and $10/kid 12 and under. You can buy breakfast buffet vouchers too. Also very good.

So I would recommend it. Have not been to the other locations but can say the Scotrun location is worth visiting if you have kids. If not, it's probably not for you.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank tummyrope
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Kids had a great time at Great Wolf Lodge. they did a nice job having enough activities for kids of all ages. Kids especially loved the new ropes course and the wand games. I would come back with kids, but things to know if this is your first trip:

1. Lots of Added Costs. Other than the water park, pretty much every other activity is extra money. The other things that are free might include Bingo and story telling. So, if you go expect to pay more money.

2. Limited healthy options. Fudge, all you can eat buffets with whip cream and chocolate sprinkles, pizza--all very yummy, but all very unhealthy. There are limited number of healthy options across all the restaurants.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

My children loved everything about this place! The youngest enjoyed the characters, building an animal with her extra paw pass and story time, my middle son LOVED the magi-quest wands and aracade, my older daughter loved the water park. We added the breakfast package to our room and it was good food, however it's offered until 11am and you still have guests inline waiting to sit down, why do start cleaning up and not making certain foods after 10a.m.? We heard the dinner buffet price was high, we were happy to dinner out each night, many local and chain restaurants close by. We had a maintenance issue, our toilet chain broke the front desk was a little short on the situation, "we have more urgent issues and only one guy on shift". Hello you are at max capacity according to your staff and hundreds of rooms! Nevertheless he came in 15 minutes and was the friendliest staff I met there. My children all loved the animated characters on the big screen in the lobby, but please spend a few of my bucks to fix the audio on it. The sound cuts in and out making the nasty static noises! The waterpark was awesome, and we didn't mind standing in lines. I do wish there were more hosts of fun. Staff that could direct folks or give out info, or help kids with quests. Yes there were enough help but running a maxed out hospitality mecca geared towards kids on a skeleton staff, will wear everyone out. I am sure we will go back, just hoping its not during maximum occupancy!.

• Stayed August 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,244 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!