“Great family place!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
NY
“Great family place!”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The rooms are very large and my kids love this place. The water park is a lot of fun, very clean and the night time activities are great. There is a lot to do at night -- the arcade, PJ party, dance party, bowling etc. My one suggestion would be a better sit down restaurant other than the buffet for dinner.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Turkish first
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My family just stayed here for the first time. The entire resort is immaculate, from the lobby to the restaurants, hallways, room, and even the waterpark -- I admit, I was shocked that a place teeming with children could be so spotless. Prices for food, in the gift shops, and other "extras" were very reasonable. We stayed in the Grizzly Bear Suite, and could not have been more comfortable; with 4 adults and 2 kids, we had plenty of room to spare. My daughter absolutely loved MagiQuest; it was wonderful to see all the kids out and about (i.e. not sitting in front of the TV or a video game), helping each other out with the clues, and having a great time. My younger daughter loved the nightly story time and character show. The arcade is a lot of fun (albeit, very noisy), and the kids had fun selecting prizes with their tickets. Everyone in the water park was courteous and lifeguards were everywhere; it seemed very safe and well-monitored. We rented an outdoor cabana one day -- it was fully stocked with drinks, snacks, a TV, lounger chairs, and a table and chairs. It was nice to have a private space to just relax in, without having to search for a table or folding chairs.

I was especially pleased with the food selections at Loose Moose. My daughter has a severe peanut/tree nut allergy and usually cannot eat out with much confidence; so many restaurants tell us they can't guarantee that the food will be safe, and pretty much tell us to "eat at your own risk" (meaning, we rarely eat out). The chefs at Loose Moose came to our table at each meal and asked her what she would like (since we never let her eat at a buffet), and they freshly prepared a meal that was completely safe for her to eat. They told us that they go through rigorous allergy training in the kitchen, and it clearly shows that they know how to handle allergies and other dietary concerns. The chefs were so friendly and helpful, and they made her feel so special. The "cabana man" (as he told us to call him) even talked to the cook at the outdoor snack bar to get a safe lunch order delivered to her outside from the main kitchen. It meant so much to us that she was able to enjoy eating out, a simple thing that people with food allergies don't always get to do.

Overall, there is something for everyone here to enjoy, the staff is wonderful, and we had a great time! We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We were able to get a room on the fourth floor, away from the MagiQuest areas. It was nice and quie...
5 Thank kkramerromero
Carle Place, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have been to this place five times now. My grandchildren live it here. They now have bowling and miniature golf ( indoors). The water park is great , can be crowded at times, go early or stay late ( near closing time). The kids live the running around to hunt for the clues in the quest. I would add this as a big no no DON'T GET A ROOM NEAR THE STAIRCASE the children run up and down them unroll 11:00 PM Then it's against the hotel's policy quiet time

Room Tip: Away from the stairways
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bruce V
Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 20 August 2014

First the great stuff: The property is extremely well designed and the watermark is the by far the best planned and safest park we have visited. We took four kids aged 10, 8, 6, and 2, and everyone had a great time. The hotel was packed, but I never thought the lines were bad (mid-week in the late summer). The staff was very courteous and helpful in every encounter, and the hotel room was very accommodating and comfortable.

Next, the not-so-great: Yes, they nickel and dime you for everything. Everything they can think of. $21.99 for a great buffet, but $2.99 for a soda. $19.99 for Resort Fee, which the front desk described as Wi-Fi, Coffee, & Shampoo. Shampoo? After paying $500+ for a room? Ouch.

I give the local hoteliers a overwhelming endorsement for managing a safe and charming resort. I give the corporate managers open contempt for a crass business model with 'gotcha' pricing. We will not be returning, the value of the money spent was not there.

6 Thank garykramlich
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Gary,

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and sharing your experience with us!

The resort fee covers a variety of amenities that our guests find to be incredibly valuable. It includes parking, Wi-Fi service, in-room coffee, access to the fitness center and a complimentary pair of wolf ears for every child staying in the room! This is included in the total cost of your stay and is not an additional charge added to the bill at checkout.

We hope to have your pack back soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is our 3rd trip here in the last 4 years, and it will be our last. We knew what we were dealing with as far as the outrageous cost, so there were no surprises there. It is very expensive, even with AAA or a deal. The food is very expensive and just okay. The staff at the front desk are incompetent, and that is being very kind. This is the 3rd time we had a really poor front desk experience. We were using GWL gift cards as a partial payment, and she absolutely couldn't figure out how to charge 2 cards. As it turned out she did it all wrong, and I had to clean up that mess later. We checked in at 3:45 and were told they could not guarantee when our room would be ready, but they would text/call when it was. Finally, at 6:30 I had to stand in line AGAIN to find out if our room would ever be ready. It was, they just hadn't bothered to call (they refuse to give you your room number ahead of time, so that you could just go check occasionally). We were 2 families (4 adults, 4 kids) and stayed in a Grizzly Bear Suite. The suite itself was clean and very spacious. It really was perfect for all of us. However, it sleeps 8, but only had towels for 6, and no bedding for the pull-out, which we were using. We had to call, and wait, twice for the things we needed that should've been there to begin with. It is also very, very noisy. Kids running up and down the halls screaming and yelling well past 11pm. The staff in the restaurant and the majority of the staff in the actual water park were fantastic. The lifeguards were outstanding. For the price, the lines are WAY too long. 25-30 minute waits for some slides. When they are sold out, it is REALLY crowded. Annoyingly so. The one thing we did right was rent a cabana. It was expensive but really, really worth it. We had a "home base" right in the middle of the park, a cabana boy, drinks, table & chairs...it was great. We really debated that expense, but we weren't sorry at all. Overall, average experience for the excessive cost. The kids had a ball, but the adults were ready to leave almost as soon as we arrived and were annoyed by the check-in process. We didn't take advantage of any other of the resort activities. Everything was just too crowded.

1 Thank PhillyMissy
Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and sharing your experience with us! I am deeply saddened that this stay did not live up to expectations set by previous visits. Please know this is not customary for us as our team in the Poconos consistently scores highly in guest satisfaction.

I am very happy to know your family and friends enjoyed the waterpark and took advantage of one of our private cabanas! They are a tremendous value to our guests, but they are limited in quantity, so it is best to reserve them as soon as you can.

We sincerely hope to see your family again soon!

Port Deposit, Maryland
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Last weekend was our third trip to GWL in the Poconos. We always have loads of fun, but the only thing included in your room rate is the room and the water park....NOTHING else. Every other activity has a fee associated with it. They have several options on site for eating. But get this, the buffet charge per person...doesn't include the drink! They charge for that separately. Adult dinner was $21.99 and they can't include a 10 cent fountain drink with that? We only ate breakfast in the restaurant once and for 2 adults and 2 children, the bill was $61. We typically bring as much food as we can cram in the car. There are microwaves and refrigerators in the guest rooms. We also go off site for dinner.

I have to say that the staff is super and the lifeguards are so attentive! The rooms are spotless and large for hotel rooms. The queen sized beds were super comfy. If you are staying in one of the special rooms like the Wolf Den, the bunk beds have a mattress covered in vinyl. The kids say they aren't comfy at all and you get sweaty laying on them.

You will have a great time and so will your kids, but be prepared to pay for it. Magiquest, the 3D theater, mini-golf, bowling ally, new ropes course (which is amazing!), etc. all cost extra. By the time we left after 3 days and 2 nights, I think we had spent nearly $1000.00. I haven't gotten the bill yet and am dreading it.

Oh and the wifi is dreadful. I had to do a bit of work each morning and couldn't even hardly get on the internet, much less my work email, until I used my i-phone as a hot spot.

Room Tip: If you can get on the 4th floor, you won't hear people above you.
3 Thank JudgeGirl
Thank you for your continued loyalty to Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and providing us with the feedback from your stay! The commentary from your stay is greatly appreciated and has been shared with our Management team at the resort to review internally.

Our location in the Poconos offers a discounted breakfast package that can be added to an overnight stay for as many mornings as you wish! For exact details, please visit us online and chat with a live Great Wolf Representative for more information.

We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Santa Monica
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here for 1 night in July - my wife and 2 kids (age 7 and 3).

Overall, we had fun. However, the place is very expensive. We're talking $400 for 1 night…and that's with a discount. I'm not sure this place was worth that.

The rooms were very large and very nice. We got the regular room and it was still very big. It had 2 beds and then a separate couch area.

We spent the day at the water park. It was fun…kids had a good time…but I was slightly disappointed. There wasn't that many water slides (5 adults and 2 kids) and most of the adult ones had really long lines. We were there on a Monday and it was still crowded. Plus, they were just very inefficient. For example, the big 3 adult slides only have 2 lines that feed into them (vs. 3) and only 2 workers at the top - so one worker is handling 2 slides, which means that you have to wait until that worker is ready to take you. Plus, as soon as they start socializing with each other, that delays things even further. Thus, it was like 30-45 minutes wait for each slide. With better efficiencies, it could have been half that time. Very disappointing.

As for food, we thought that was fine. Some people here have posted that food isn't great but we thought it was fine. We had lunch at the waterpark and we had the buffet dinner and both were good - and I did not find the prices to be outrageous. The one thing I did not like about the buffet dinner was that they charged extra for drinks (soda, lemonade, etc.) and at $3 per drink, that was not right.

After dinner, we did the night activities. We did the Story Explorers for the kids - where you go around the hotel and find spots that help you complete a story - but the problem was that many of the spots just didn't work. They told us ahead of time that 3 were not working (and took off a few bucks) but in reality, maybe 6 or more were not working (which was about 1/3rd of the total spots for the game). I almost was expecting another discount but they didn't give it to us.

Plus, while we were doing the Story Explorers, the hotel was playing music in the front lobby and it was super loud so even the spots that worked, you could barely hear what they were saying since music was blasting throughout the hotel. So that ruined the experience a bit and nobody told us ahead of time about that.

They also had a MagiQuest or ShadowQuest game (for older kids) where you also go around the hotel and find spots and get info but the problem there was that so many people were doing this that there were crowds at many spots. Plus, we were told a lot of the spots were not working properly.

Finally, when my little kid tried to watch this animatronic show in the lobby with the characters, it was very hard to hear because the acoustics were bad.

As for check-in and check-out, I called and they said I could check out at 1pm but yet they formally checked me out at 10:45am without telling me - thus shutting off my room key to charge anything. When I went to the front desk, they didn't really do anything other than to just ask me to use my credit card instead of room key. So that was annoying. Plus, I had a $25 credit to use and they forgot to apply it - so they just took it off the bill at the end.

Overall, it was an ok experience. Would I recommend it? Sure…but only for 1 day. We came late on Sunday so just spent Monday at the hotel and left late. If I were to recommend it to others, I would say come at 2-3pm on one day so you can spend some time at hotel that day and night and then spend the entire following day. So for the money, you get 1.5-2 days of fun there. But to pay $400 for multiple nights? I don't think it's worth it at all - especially with some of the things mentioned above that take away from the experience. It's a good 2 day/1 night trip. Plus, I hope they fix the things I mention here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank seth2930
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Seth,

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and providing us with such detailed feedback! I have shared your concerns with our Management team at the resort to discuss internally as we are always looking for areas of opportunity to improve for future guests.

With reservations that include a resort credit, please know that these credits must be used prior to checkout on your day of departure as they are tied to your room account. Resort credits can be used towards a variety of items at the resort, such as dining facilities, various activities & amenities, and both spas. Exceptions would be using it towards room rates, add-on packages, guest passes & alcohol.

I hope you find this information useful and will plan a return trip soon!

Great Wolf Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!