“Pleasantly surprised.”

Ridge Top Village at Shawnee
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We are Wyndam owners and were quite concerned about some of the negative evaluations. Apparently Ridge Top has a section with older units as well as a section with new, very nice units. We were fortunate to be in a great new unit. Spotlessly clean with gas fireplace, whirlpool, two bedroom and three baths.
One negative was the bedding. Sheets on queen beds were king size and all wrinkled up. Quality of the sheets and bedspreads were what you would expect in a very cheap motel.
Housekeeping was somewhat inconsistent. Most Wyndhams are consistent in providing a starter supply of coffee, tea, etc. None provided. Also no dishwashing liquid or salt and pepper which is usually provided.
Overall landscaping was acceptable. Pool and recreation areas are also acceptable for a family style resort. This is not a five star resort but good for families with lots of activities for kids.
Remotely located but good for outdoor and nature activities. Really not a lot to do if you aren't into outdoor activities. Two really good restaurants very nearby.
We spent a pleasant 5 days but won't go back because of limited cultural activities.

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank tfj

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Just got back from Shawnee. We had a great time. It is very very relaxing. Peace and quiet. There is also a picnic area where you can barbecue, play basketball and swim in the pool. There are also lots of wildlike. We encountered a GIANT raccoon and I heard there was a baby bear spotted not far from where we stayed. Would love to go back in the fall!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank brood632
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Greetings and Salutations
Our recent trip to Shawnee Ridge Top Summitt was really wonderful. Our unit was awesome... two bedrooms and three baths. I've never stayed anywhere that had surround sound... a nice plus. It a great place to just vacate and do nothing, or to partake of all the things the resort has to offer.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank RogueSommelier
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We booked this exchange thinking since it had the Wyndam brand it would be great. The reviews were HORRIBLE highlighting dated furniture, filthy units, evidence of roaches etc. We voiced our concerns on checking in and told by the supervisor there was nothing they could do since it was an exchange through Interval International. If we had any issues we needed to call Interval and perhaps they would place us at another hotel. Not the response we we hoping for! A Wyndam worker at the members desk who observed and understood our concerns; offered to help in anyway she could. This helped in alleviating our apprehensiveness.She even called to make sure we had settled in. Thanks ALEYSIA!!. We stayed in Ridgetop Unit #20 and our fears were unfounded. Unit was dated; but clean and fitted 3 adults and 2 kids comfortably. Showers tight and jacuzzi old (red at that). Unit was walking distance from Rec center, pool and field. Lots of activities family oriented:Olympics for kids (traditional 3 legged, egg& spoon, sack race etc), Prize and &1 Bingo, movies, pingpong, game room (even pacman) minature golf. Walmart and Outlet stores short drive away. Be sure to do the Delaware on the Gap Trolley tour( 9:50 for adults, $4 for 12 and under) find coupon in book, and Shawnee Market. Resort is older but family oriented. Staff consisted mostly of pleasant crew of young adults.Welcome party and Karaoke a must! Family oriented and intimate setting.

Room Tip: Stay away from the River Villages and Dupney!!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank ccm1319
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We spent a week on an Interval International bonus certificate at this resort, with low expectations, but were pleasantly surprised. The Ridge Top villa was well designed and privately sited. While there were only two of us in a two bedroom, there was room for more, including pull out couch in the living room. The indoor pool was closed for renovation, and we did not use the outdoor pool, since our week was primarily for rest and sightseeing. There are some nice places to visit in the area, particularly the mansions of Gilbert Pinchot in Milton and Asa Packer in Jim Thorpe. Also, the nearby Shawnee Playhouse operates year round and two very nice restaurants, The Gem and Keystone and Saen Thai are within a mile of the property.Since it was off-season, we suspect that the outdoor pool, which has little shade, might get pretty crowded later in the summer. There is a nice miniature golf course, with fee, on the property. As Marriott resort owners, we found fewer than expected amenities in the villa. Check-in and checkout were easy and the staff was accommodating during our visit.

Room Tip: Villas at the top of the ridge are nice.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank traveling2day
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I will never stay at this relatively pleasant place again because the management would be better run by a bunch of monkeys or a group of toddlers or someone else with better reasoning abilities.

We traveled for a wedding and were told that we could either stay at the lovely Shawnee Inn or the nearby condo units, and we were given the Shawnee village website and told that "Crestview" was supposed to be the nicest.

The trick for us was that with two teenaged girls and one large 17 year old boy, our best set up is 3 bedrooms or 2 bedrooms plus pullout. All the units offered are two bedroom and the pullout couch is "not guaranteed." In retrospect I have to ask "why?" Don't they have computers to track how many people a unit sleeps? I understand now that this is a timeshare community that also rents out to non-timeshare owners, but I'm thinking that other places have this figured out. I was told a different story each time I called: "Oh, you rented online??? Sigh, well I'll see if I can find who you should talk to..." "Oh (pick one), Wyndham doesn't let us assign the units/Oh, Shawnee doesn't let us ....." "Call a month in advance and we will be able to tell you if those units with couches are available." "Oh, why would you call now? We don't know that until 48 hours, and NO way could you request Crestview...." You get the picture.....nothing made sense and no matter who we talked to we always hung up with someone explaining that we should have known something we couldn't possibly know. Needless to say when we were finally assigned a unit it was neither Crestview nor a unit that had a pull out couch - after I wen't BALLISTIC, we got the unit in Ridge Top with the pullout couch, but with a catch....

At Ridgeview we were given one unit for two nights and a second unit for the third night (and, I kid you not, the family we "kicked out" was also forced to go to another unit for THEIR third night - something to do with the time share week).

After thinking this through, I still have to say nothing made any sense and anybody I talked to made it more confusing. We drove around the area with our bags and our groceries in the cooler, because we should have known to wait (in our unit, even though we were only there for three days) until housekeeping called us for the "move over." Again, apparently our fault, or Wyndam's fault, but not theirs because they had given us these instructions (well, not exactly....).

All that said, I was worried about the unit(s) after reading the online reviews. They were actually perfectly nice and clean (well the jacuzzis looked a little "worn" but I'm not a big tub person anyway..). Sure there were TVs that aren't flat screen, and you have to pay $7 per day for wi-fi, but it was clean and comfortable, had a nice kitchen/dining room/living room area, a fireplace, a 1/2 bath down and 2 full baths upstairs. Because it's a rental they ask you to leave the place neat and strip the beds - really nothing you wouldn't do at your average beach house. You don't even have to run the dishwasher - just leave your rinsed dishes in the dishwasher. I would stay there again, if I didn't have to deal with the people.

Other examples:
You get a wristband to participate in activities, but no kid under SIXTEEN is allowed to do anything unaccompanied. This means that my 15 year old daughter, a Red Cross certified lifeguard, is not allowed at the pool without her overweight non-swimming mom.

There is a nice mini golf course. Six of us with wristbands went to play and we paid for three more - then the woman at the desk looked at us wristbanded folks and charged us, with the explanation that mini golf is not included - so we had to count up people w/bands vs. people w/o bands because??????
And on and on and on......
Sorry to say it, but unless you have A LOT of patience, OR you don't cross into two timeshare weeks (Sun to Sun), AND you only need two bedrooms and don't care about the couch, OR if you have figured out the magical formula to get into Crestview, I would save myself the aggravation.

In fact we found out later that the Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort (separate company) has some cottages too - that are not on their website - and may well be very expensive, but check out the Worthington section of the Shawnee Inn just in case - wonderful accommodations near the golf course - they have 2-3 cottages that ARE listed on their website but Worthington was separate.

Honestly, I'm a savvy traveler - I've traveled all over the world with little complication. Who would'v guessed that I couldn't navigate central Pennsylvania timeshare world?????

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank out_of_VA
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I planned a family trip to the Poconos for the New Year's holiday weekend. I wanted my children to experience the snow on the mountains, but it didn't turn out that way. However, I was very surprised to find out the amazing things that you can do here without the skiing/snorkeling stuff. We were able to go horseback riding and enjoy the nature walks around.

The resort itself exceeded my expectations. I rented a two-bedroom, two bath at Crestview, which is of a decent size, but could get cramped up in the living room if the entire family of 8 (plus visiting guests) try to watch a movie at the same time. However, the open layout really helped out and works out well. The kitchen has all of the basic amenities that you need, although the dishwasher is a standard one. The one thing that was of concern was that the bulb went out in one of the light fixtures and it started to smell like smoke, so my husband immediately had that taken care of with the resort staff.

The screened balcony also is a nice bonus - wake up in the AM, have a cup of coffee/tea there and enjoy the views of the woods. At the resort, some of the amenities are closed for the winter, such as the pool and miniature golf, but Wyndham does have arranged activities at the resort, which is nice if you have children.

I can't recall about the Wi-Fi access exactly, but I do know that it is not free, and that I have to pay per night. Oh well.

I will definitely go back possibly at a summer venue to enjoy the other amenities. Thanks Wyndham!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank pnayangel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Quality Inn - East Stroudsburg POCONOS
Quality Inn - East Stroudsburg P...
#1 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
5 mi away
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to Ridge Top Village at Shawnee? Share your experiences!