“older facility but clean and taken care of”

Ridge Top Village at Shawnee
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I read many of the reviews before we went to this facility. They leaned mostly to decent but older, I decided the family would go and make up their own minds. We are always up for an adventure.
The facilites reminded me of rustic 2 story town houses in a beautiful woodland setting. We saw deer on the road almost every time we drove in or out of the property. The accomodations are a little outdated, some items closer to 70's-80's vintage, but everything was clean and well taken care of. We saw no evidence of any pesky critters other than a few woodchucks strolling around the grounds.
The bathrooms, bedrooms, sheets, towels, and kitchen were nicely cleaned. We had an older TV upstairs in the kids room, and a small flat screen in the master bedroom and downstairs living area. My favorite feature was a screened in porch, which we took advantage of, including the kids! No internet (there is a charge, but we refused to pay), so the kids READ BOOKS!! wow, I had to take a picture, as I was sure my daughter didn't know the front cover from the back cover.
the kitchen was clean so we minimally stocked it to have breakfasts and treats on hand.
The check in and check out was simple, efficient, and the staff was all very friendly. Our kids enjoyed the indoor and outdoor pool, and while we didn't get a chance to enjoy miniature golf, we will do that next time, as I know we will return.
Many very nice restaurants nearby, took a trolly tour, went to nearby antique stores and flea markets, and thoroughly enjoyed this trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Erica O

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I asked for a recently renovated unit, and it was in decent condition. It was in the lower numbers and not too far off the access road. I'd say it's on par with the Depuy units, perhaps a few years newer. Not too much walking or steps to the units, unlike the River One units. The unit wasn't stocked very well cooking utensils/pots & pans, so be sure to bring anything essential just in case. There's a toaster not a toaster oven. Wood-burning fireplace was nice, get the kiln dried bags of firewood at the supermarket for fool proof fires. I usually buy the kindling bundles from the little cottage at the entrance to the resort. You grab a bundle at the top of the driveway and leave the money in the little can there. A real jacuzzi and not the red soaking tubs. Tube, not flat-screen tv. I'd recommend it over the River units. I'd like to check out the Summit units, but they are further up the road.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 1Renegade
Reviewed 20 August 2013

yes we were here on a wyndham selling program...the units at ridge top need paint and repair. Inside was fine- not chic and upper crust- more like a hunting cabin from the 70-80's...2 nights, had trashed and storage units mauled by bears and scattered by feral cats, ground hogs, and birds. I had to make a front desk complaint to get the bug infested garbage cleaned up..not a great looking site! The parking lots also are full of pot holes and hard to maneuver for a senior citizen...broken ankle ready to happen...Pools were nice...no free wifi...$7/day per user/device , certainly not traveler friendly...grocery is 10-12mins. away, some nice restaurants too...I own at time share at the Lake Placid Club, I am spoiled by their constant attention to detail and upgrades...Shawnee take notice!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank pierogyman
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Recently returned from a week at Wyndham Shawnee Ridge Top Resort and we had an enjoyable time. Although the villas are a bit rustic and older they are reasonably equiped with all you might need for your stay. Kitchens are well equipped although no blender was a surprise as we like to make frozen drinks for our afternoon drink.

Our other comment would be the resort is a bit skimpy on toiletries. We had to stop at the check-in centre to get shampoo, conditioner and body lotion and toilet paper. If we had not brought dishwasher/washing machine detergent we would have been short on these items as well. Although this isn't a big deal, these are items that are part of ownership/rental of timesharw units and having to spend time waiting for delivery or picking them up is an inconvience.

The resort is well maintained and there are many activities but I would like to see more activities geared towards adults only. I would also like to see a couple of hours in the evening (8 - 10 maybe) for an adult swim as many of us do not want to be using the pools with them being overwhelmed with children.

All in all, we did enjoy ourselves and do plan on returning to this resort in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank craftykitty
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed at both Ridge Top Village and Ridge Top Summit. Definitely stay at the Ridge Top Summit if you can get the unit there. The Ridge Top Village units are very old and tired. The Ridge Summit units are newer but still tired. They need major renovations at this Wynhdam resort. The location is excellent though for skiing at Shawnee. There is good discount if you are a guest here - make sure you take advantage.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank vacationlover83
Reviewed 7 July 2013

My family had a great time at this resort. We stayed June 16 thru the 23. The rooms furniture was worn but still use able. Kitchen was stocked. Excellent out let mall. Great location close to a lot of avtivities. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank maysstep
Reviewed 24 June 2013

First, if you read my profile, you will see that I am pretty easy to please and this is the first time, I've had to write a negative review. This was an exchange and we should have been leary when so many units were open. First some postives. Employees William at the front desk and Margaret, in housekeeping were wonderful and helpful. The surrounding woods are plentiful BUT no trails. The village is located off of Exit 309 from I-80, which makes it easy to access Bushkill Falls Exit 309, the town of Delaware on the Gap Exit 308, and the city of Stroudsburg for essential shopping. The Visitors Center is Exit 310 and I'd suggest you stop there before checking into Shawnee. Check in was easy and we didn't experience any delays, but we did check in before 4pm. It appears that most of the check in problems happen at or after 4 pm.
Now for the bad. We were absolutely shocked at the conditions of our FIRST unit. Immediately upon entry, the "moldy" odor assailed our nostrils. The unit was not only horribly outdated AND rundown but dirty. The couches were covered in disgusting stains and the carpets had a band about an inch wide of filth around the baseboards(where the sweepers couldn't reach and no one used a broom to clean.) The bath tubs were chipped and the showers stained. The rooms were small. We were very suspicious that the mattresses were encased by two zippered coverings, which made it hard to get to the mattress. We were checking for bed bugs. There was a hole in the wall and the living room wall was gouged. The front stoop was splintered as if an army of ants or an animal had shredded the wood. The bannister to the upstairs was caked with film from a build up of dirt and probably applied wax before it was cleaned. We didn't sit down on anything and immediately called the front desk to complain. This was after a nine hour trip to reach the location. This was in the village units 136 to 154. We were finally moved to village units 173 to 194, which were renovated in approximately 2007. This unit was more acceptable and clean. As were were leaving our first unit, we ran into several families that had just entered their units and NO ONE was happy. All of those people had used exchanges from Westgate,Marriet, or Wyndam. I must say that I have stayed at several Wyndam properties and have never had a problem. I did notice that Crestview units and Summit units actually had the Wyndam name attached but NOT Ridge Top, although all of the printed material refers to Wyndam and guest services welcomes you to Wyndam. The Crestview and Summit units were OBVIOUSLY better constructed, newer, and modern. No one from those units, that I spoke with had a complaint. They loved it. I am convinced that Ridgetop is not a Wyndam property. One of the employees mentioned that Ridgetop was previously owned by Fairview? Something is amiss and Wyndam will be getting a letter from us. There are two pools and a hot tub. All of the pools were cloudy. Needless to say, we didn't swim and we are avid swimmers and water babies.

BE CAREFUL. THERE IS A CHARGE PER DEVICE FOR WI-FI! This is the first time I've seen this type of arrangement. For seven days, one device is 29.95! We had four devices. Needless to say, we did not use this service. If you are an ATT cell customer make sure you put your device on wi fi mode and not the 4G service because it will route you into the fee service on the resort. ( I checked with ATT while I was there and they confirmed this, but check with your service provider.)There is an inventory list posted on the upper interior cupboard door, located next to the stove. We discovered it two days into our stay. Check the list. We found several items missing and reported to the front desk so that we were not charged for missing items.
Perhaps the greatest thing about the village was location. We stayed out of the unit on most days.

We went to the Martz bus station located in Stroudsburg and asked for the Big Apple Special, which cost 80.50 per couple or 50.00 for an individual. It took us to New York City round trip. You leave at 8:30 am and the last bus leaves New York City at 12:30 am. So you have an entire day to explore the city. The buses seemed to leave New York about every 40 minutes. This was a great experience. BEWARE. The Greyline Bus Tour appears to be the most popular and we did take it but they didn't tell us that the tour buses stopped at 6pm and the "off Tours" to Brooklyn, which was free with the Downtown tour package, ended at 3:30 pm. At 6 pm you have to pay for the "night tours". There were other tour bus companies that were not as crowded and were cheaper. We paid 49.95 for each adult ticket. Hint. The bus tour is an easy hop on hop off tour. I'd suggest that you hop off when you get to a site that you want to explore further. Like the Trade Center memorial, but call ahead....we were told that reservations were necessary for it.
In Delaware on the Gap,exit 310, we went to Pack Shack river tours. A raft for 4 was only 40 dollars for each adult (you will get an additional 15% off if you bring in the Shawnee Village coupon) and we could explore the Delaware River at our own pace. We went down class 1 rapids, which was a thrill. Pack a lunch and drinks and enjoy the day. Stop and explore the two islands or swim if you dare. In Delaware on the Gap we walked down the Appalachian Trail and had wonderful homemade ice cream at the town creamery. We also took the Delaware Gap Trolley for an hour tour of the area. This also gave us ideas of what to explore later. Bushkill Falls is an absolute must if you love to hike and view waterfalls. it was 12.50 per person. there were four trails so there was something for everyone. I suggest that you take the red/yellow trail to the left first which will keep you on level ground as a warm up before needing to descend and ascend the mighty cliffs. Take a camera and sturdy walking shoes. Go early and enjoy the wonders of nature.

Room Tip: Ask for the most recenlty renovated rooms. 173 and up!!!! You will have a hike to the recreation cen...