“Much better than expected: had a great time!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Shawnee River Village 2
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I was a bit nervous about staying at Shawnee River II after reading some of the online reviews, but my experience with the property has once again reinforced my belief that online reviews are always going to be slanted towards the negative.

My parnet and I spent three days here in early April, and were really impressed with the facilities and the staff! Had a great time, and would definitely come again.

We arrived after dark, and had a little bit of trouble trying to check in. I would suggest to the property managers that they install some lighting on the signs pointing the way. Once we found the resort clubhouse, check in was quick and easy, and the staff at the front desk were very helpful.

We arrived at the unit with trepidation, not really knowing what to expect. The reviews we had read online suggested that the property was "outdated" and "rundown". Ha!

We were REALLY impressed with how well maintained the property was. Yes, it was rather "dated" (think Brady Bunch), but I actually loved the open floorplan and the practical no-nonsense appeal of the furnishings. It was comfortable and inviting, and we felt at home in no time.

Everything in the unit was CLEAN and well maintained, and the kitchen came with a complete set of basic supplies (utensils, cutlery, pots and pans, dishware, etc.). Beds were very comfortable and the linens were immaculate.

We had a two bedroom, two and 1/2 bath townhouse with a screened-in porch. The living area was very spacious and featured a fireplace and large flat-screen TV. We used the fireplace each night of our stay (you'll need to provide your own wood, available at local gas stations) without issue.

The clubhouse was well appointed, with billiards, air hockey, video games, a LARGE indoor pool and Jacuzzi. We had a great time taking advantage of these amenities, and were only disappointed that the Mini-Golf Course (Which looked to be in good repair) was not yet open for the season. There was also a golf course, but I do not play and therefore can't comment. Seemed nice enough.

The Delaware River was just a short walk from our unit, and provided a beautiful backdrop to a nice jaunt along a wooded trail. I think there are several marked paths along the property, but we just meandered along the banks of the river.

The master bath in our unit featured a "Grecian Soaking Tub", which creeped me out a bit at first. While everything was very clean and in good repair, I did spend a few minutes scrubbing the tub down with a chlorine cleaner (can't be too safe- I really never use hotel tubs but this seemed too interesting to pass up). Soo glad I tried it despite the odd looks of the tub- SUPER relaxing and enjoyable. Plenty of hot water, no issues there.

The units in River Village II DO have their idiosyncrasies, which didn't detract from our experience as much as make us wonder. For one, there are small, square windows installed at awkward places throughout... we appreciated the extra light, but had to wonder if maybe there had been through-the-wall AC units at one point which were later replaced with these little windows.

Also, the bathrooms were not connected to the central heat/ac... they each had independent floorboard radiators instead. Could be a energy saving consideration, but more likely a hold over from earlier times.

The third oddity was the absence of any clocks in the unit. No wall clocks, no alarm clocks... very strange. However, we actually came to appreciate the opportunity to experience our vacation "outside of time".

There's no shortage of dining options near the resort, running the gamut from low key (the "four seasons diner" offers a limited selection menu at reasonable prices) to the exceptional (REALLY enjoyed our meal at the Peruvian restaurant, Inti, just a mile from the resort).

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend the River Village 2 units to anyone who might appreciate clean and well maintained "retro" accommodations in the Delaware Water Gap area of the Poconos. If you're looking for the latest, sleekest, most modern accommodations... maybe look elsewhere. But for many people, the River Village 2 offers a great place to relax and regroup in a quiet setting with few interruptions.

For us, it was just what the doctor ordered, and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a unit with a fireplace... some of the river II units have only a wood stove, which might be...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank thelema5
There are newer reviews for Shawnee River Village 2

Reviewed 6 April 2013

I was pleasantly surprised and relieved when we arrived. we stayed in River Valley II - 159. Check in took about 20 minutes - there was a line, but it moved quickly enough. After reading the other reviews, I came fully prepared to clean and inspect for bedbugs and thankfully i neither had to clean nor worry about bed bugs! There were 3 bathrooms, one of which was small and another which had a large unusual looking round orange tub that was extremely deep and at first i thought it was a hot tub, but it's not. The bath connected to the master had a separate small area with a sink in addition to the shower/toilet. There were two bedrooms- one had a queen and connecting bath and the other had 2 double beds. Each bed room had a TV. the living area had a flat panel TV. The unit was clean, there was a wood burning fireplace (bring matches and perhaps a firestarter as you'll need to collect your own fire wood ) and a new washer and dryer. There were plenty of towels and soap and a coffee maker with filters. there was a roll of paper towels, several rolls of Toilet paper, dish washing detergent (only enough for one wash so i would suggest bringing some of your own), dish detergent (for hand washing dishes) and some laundry detergent with Bounce. If you are interested in knowing what the kitchen provided, there were salt and pepper shakers, but no salt and pepper, sugar and cream holders, toaster, microwave, tea kettle, can opener, corkscrew, bottle opener, potato peeler, slotted spoon, serving spoon, large pronged fork, potato masher, set of 10 steak knives, spatula, slotted metal spatula, ladle, 6 glass bowls, large and small plates, large and small glasses, knives, forks and spoons. There were no cabinets - only shelving. we brought our own bottles of water as we were not sure what the water purity was going to be like. the recreation center was always busy - the pool was crowded with kids even during the week, but it was large enough. Nice towels were supplied for the pool with a $25 fee if you do not return them. there is a game room which included air hockey and some other games. there is a snack bar which we did not check out. the best advice i can give you is to ask for a refurbished unit. we almost got stuck with the mutli-stair place that had broken appliances but when i asked right up front for a refurbished unit (when i made the reservation and again when i arrived to check in), they changed our assignment to a much better place that had been refurbished in the last 8 years instead of never having been refurbished since it was built in 1980. this is truly hit or miss kind with the kind of place you end up with. close to lots of hiking trails and 20 minutes up the road are waterfalls well worth seeing. the slopes had very little snow on them so we did not go skiing. The welcome center in town has some great hiking trail maps and advice on different places to go for dinner, although we ate in most nights. Really enjoyed our time together. Hope this info helps!

Room Tip: The best advice i can give you is to ask for river valley II unit 159. it only has 3 steps, all app...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank quiltware
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Please stay away from this resort! On arrival I was totally disappointed. To get to the unit, my family and I (which totaled 8 of us) had to walk up so many stairs. Since I'm pregnant, I knew this was going to be an issue. Once inside the unit we had to walk up more stairs. In addition to me being pregnant I had my 2 year old son with me so I was afraid he would tumble down the stairs at least once during our trip. Once upstairs I noticed the living room was extremely small. There was no sofa bed. The sofas were wood with pillows on them. The carpet was old and had a burn stain on them. After sitting on the wooden sofa, my husband noticed little dead bugs by the lamp. After he cleaned those up, I inspected the kitchen. To my surprise the appliances were clean and the kitchen was very clean. Honestly it was the best part of the unit. Then I inspected the downstairs bedroom. The bathroom was really small and there was no television in there. To make matters worst, there was another flight of stairs I had to go up to get to the Master bedroom. Once there I noticed the room was an okay size, but the bed was a full size bed. Note, the website and the reservation agent told me it was a queen size bed. So, my husband and I had to sleep in a full size bed with our son for 5 nights. My son fell out the bed one night! To go on, our bathroom was extremely small and the shower was super small. I also later learned that guests are only allowed one linen change per stay! Unacceptable.

After a day or 2 my husband had to kill 2 stink bugs while I had to kill 2 silverfish and my mother had to drown a spider. In addition, the downstairs bedroom began to smell like raw eggs! We came to the conclusion that it was the sewage. Gross!! I've been to a few resorts in my lifetime and this was the absolute worst! I tried calling to get another unit but I was told there were none. I was told that if I checked out it was a 50/50 chance I would get a refund because the reason for my checking out would have to be approved by a supervisor. Word to the wise. Don't EVER pay up front to stay at a resort because I learned my lesson with this place! If you're use to modern day accommodations then this is not the resort for you or your family. If you prefer outdated accommodations then this is your place. And just so you're aware, there are some beautiful units offered by the property, but you have to be a timeshare owner to stay in one.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Alyshia1977
Reviewed 21 February 2013

After reading other reviews, I wasn't expecting much. Surprisingly it was way better than I was expecting. We stayed in a 2BR and it's enough for our family of five. It has a full kitchen with most of the utensils to cook a nice meal. Flat Coby TV panel in living room & master BR with HDMI connections. A little small tube TV in kids room with dual beds. Washer & Dryer in our unit, but no hairdryer. One major negative would be the draft that's coming through the windows. 10 degree weather toward the end of February makes the unit in the lower level a bit cold for my taste. Bedrooms are nice and toasty.

We were locked out one night when keys swiped green, but the door won't actually unlock. Stuck out in the cold for around 30 minutes. Good thing we had heat in our car or it would've been a very unpleasant night. Called the front desk and Timothy was very helpful and got security over but wasn't able to unlock. security send maintenance and was able to get us in by knocking in on the door handle with a screwdriver. Didn't really care how we got in, but was just glad we got in.

The showers are small. I mean really small. I'm 5'9", 180 pounds and I can't barely move around. Definitely a struggle for folks a bit bigger.

For those that are looking to spend time in the recreation center, expect to drive there every time. It's a few minutes drive, but not very convenient. There's a game room, a gym, swimming pool, hot tub and scheduled activities.

I guess overall, it's not too bad.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank BootlegM3
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Me and my family stayed in one of these units. it was filthy, we found dried food on most of the kitchen supplies, all furniture was either stained or filthy. check in was a disaster! we were told our unit wasnt ready and it was still being cleaned. then to find it wasnt clean was very frustrating. my brother in law went to speak with the manager and he was told thats the unit you booked and did not seem to want to help. main building was okay, when asking for help in the downstairs rec center about a list of activities i was told we dont do that you have to go upstairs, so i went up and was told i got one upon check in and they were out. NO ONE SHOULD GIVE THEM BUSINESS for the horrible service and deplorable room condition. shame on them.

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank John D
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Fine place to stay, just know that it was probably built in the 1980's. It kind of reminds me of a ski cabin. But, it wasn't bad! You cannot go in expecting everything to be updated and modern. Again, it's an older cabin, but everything worked just fine. I thought it was a good location, right on a river. I thought it was a cute place to stay; we had a screened-in back porch, which was nice.The showers were small, but other than that, it was fine.

Room Tip: We had a room that had a water view- so maybe ask for that when you book. We also had a room with 2...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ronnie7782
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Must say i was so leary about staying after reading so many negative reviews, well we were pleasantly surprised, i have 5 kids between 18-28, we all came and went at differnt times yet overlapping. Had a wonderful time, the place was clean roomy, beds comfortable, had all you need in the kitchen, plus a dishwasher and w/d. 2.5 baths, heat worked great and it got bitter cold, fireplace. It wasn't a five star hotel but that's not what we went for, went to relax and spend time as a family, this was perfect. Went to Stroudsburg and shopped the antique stores and others, had good meal. Hiked, shopped, sight seeing, So much to do in the area within few miles, ski, dine, shop. Great Restaurant was "The Gem" Brew Pub, and we have meat eaters, vegetarians and in between and there was enough on menu for us all. The pool & whirlpool were clean and with salt water, kids used the gym for basketball, etc. Had fun with pinball and other games, small workout room but nice equipment, staff terrific very accomodating. Highly suggest if you want a great relaxing time, pleanty of room with lots to do in the area.

Room Tip: we had villa R166, everything in working order with 2.5 baths which worked out nicely, corner unit s...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 6 in Milford
High Point Country Inn
High Point Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Wantage

Been to Shawnee River Village 2? Share your experiences!