“Older property holding up” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shawnee River Village 2

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Shawnee River Village 2
Hampton, Virginia
“Older property holding up”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I stayed at Shawnee in May of 2012 to avoid loosing a week of time share and to do some geocaching. I was by myself so the relative small size of the unit wasn't too bad, but it might bother some guests. In addition the multistory format of the unit might also bother some. Other than those things available because this is the Delaware Water Gap there was little to do on the property unless the near by shopping center was part of it. I'm not sure. Unfortunately, the weather and the fact that i got some sort of a virus didn't help my plans. All in all I would return especially since I now know where it is. If I hadn't had a GPSr in my car, I never would have found it.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank GrandpaGene

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Lancaster, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

First of all, we've been trading into this resort once every couple years since about 2004, and each time the rating slides just a little bit. The location is superb for people looking for a base from which to explore the Delaware Water Gap area and the many nearby state parks, gamelands, waterfalls, and trails... especially the Appalachian Trail, which has a main trailhead just 8 minutes away. There are several excellent restaurants in the area as well, and three of them are within walking distance. The beds must be new, as they were VERY comfortable and large enough to keep my feet... well over six feet from my pillow... from hanging over the edge. The bath tub is a giant teacup-like affair, far too small for me, but the wife enjoyed doing her teabag impersonation.

Unfortunately, that's where the positives end. Luckily, we don't come here to spend time in the rooms; why would anyone, in such a beautiful area? In any case, the fun began when I requested a building at the end of the line for some add peace and quiet. "Sorry, not available" says the nice man behind the counter. Well that's understandable, it's getting into peak season here after all. How about any of the twelve units along the river? Nope, "Down for maintenance.". Now I started to become concerned... what sane property manager would take down entire sets of units for maintenance during peak season? Oh well, just give us whatever then... we're here for the foliage and the trails, not the room.
We got checked in quickly and efficiently (we came on a Sunday), and once we squelched the obligatory sales pitch at the next counter, we were off to the room.

On first glance, the room was as we remembered from previous visits; clean, spacious, reasonably comfortable with a full kitchen, and with 20 year out-of-date decor (new flat screen TV excluded, but c'mon Wynham, you can do better than a Coby). It seemed a little chilly, so we turned up the thermostat. It took quite a while to get comfortable, as the heater seemed to take a LONG time to start moving warm air, and none of the doors fit well enough to keep cold air from blowing in around the door frames. Luckily the bathrooms have old electric baseboard heaters that worked very well. There was also no ceiling in the downstairs half of the unit. Yes, I said NO CEILING, just exposed joists, and no valences over any of the downstairs blinds. There were closet doors that weren't hung square, and you can't open some of the drawers in the kitchen without opening the dishwasher first because the washer door blocked the last column of drawers. It looked almost like our unit had been "down for maintenance" too but hastily reassembled enough to rent. As always, these resorts automatically lose a star in the rating for the ludicrous practice of charging for the same internet access that is free in every motel chain in America. Luckily I replaced the stock software on my phone so we had our own free hotspot to use.
None of this really bothered us THAT much... as I said before, when we travel it's to experience the area, not to look at the inside of a room... but I thought some people might find this information helpful.

Remember that confused property manager I referred to earlier? If I was curious before, I was CONVINCED the next day. There was a crew with leaf blowers clearing the grassy areas (not recreational areas, just areas surrounding the units that nobody even walks on) at 7:30 in the morning.

Yes, **LEAF BLOWERS**.

In a **FOREST**, at the height of **AUTUMN**, at 7:30 in the **MORNING**.

Hey Wyndham, some people might actually go to the mountains in the fall TO SEE LEAVES!
And no, they weren't just clearing walkways, that would be understandable; they were clearing the ENTIRE AREA. Interestingly enough, while the ground apparently needed to be cleared of leaves, it was OK for every rain gutter on every building to be completely clogged with leaves. Go figure. Also, there were several crews performing the aforementioned maintenance, parking on the road, backing up large trucks, working on air handlers, and other noisy activities at barely-after-seven in the morning. Considering that the walls are pretty thin that is an awful time to be doing loud work around people that are supposed to be on vacation.

Room Tip: A "good" room is a matter of opinion; this is an older resort, and is at least comfortabl...
Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Mark_and_Neida

Travellers are raving about these Shawnee on Delaware hotels

Livingston, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Check in is 4pm. We arrived at 3:45 and they told us that the unit had not been cleaned yet. Should be about an hour. We gave our cell# and they would call us when it was ready. Went to Walmart to get groceries. 5pm - received a call while in Walmart stating room was ready. When we went to the unit, housekeeping was still there and they told us to wait outside because it may take another 30 - 45 minutes. Really!!! 'wait outside'. We went back over to check in and they apologized - the Mgr wouldn't come out from the back office but told us we could check out at noon instead of 10am. I was upset because we had perishables from Walmart. 6:15pm our room was ready. Unit was outdated and run down. Appliances very dirty. We had to clean and disinfect before settling in. But it gets worst....ROACHES were in the kitchen/laundry area!!!!!!
Maintence arrived with a can of ant/roach killer from the dollar store and told us the bugs may have been 'wood bugs' which look similar to roaches. I guess he thought we were stupid. Didn't not give us another unit. I was very upset and will not be visiting this resort again. Good luck people...go at your own risk!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Debbie C
Averill Park, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed at River Shawnee Village 2 Columbus day weekend. Our 2 bedroom condo was perfect for a get away with my sister and our 3 children. It was perfectly clean, the beds were so comfortable that I actually slept through the night (that never happens). It was about a mile from the reception area where they have plenty of activities and in a central location to do almost everything that the Poconos have to offer. I would definately go back to this resort! Also, the condos near us were occupied, we didnt hear a peep from anyone. It was a very relaxing 3 day weekend!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Darlene M
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Before I review the unit, let me say that their front desk is slow. We arrived early 2pm, went thru pre registration, said they would call us when unit was ready. We decided to play a round of mini golf to kill time. By 4 pm the lobby was full, so I waited for any update and within 10 minutes got our key. At 5:20 we got a phone call that our room was ready, what a laugh we were already unpacked and having cocktails.
The unit R124 was spacious and clean. Yes outdated appliances and sparse furnishings, but everything worked, Soft master bed and weird red tub. Our patio faced the woods, so we had no steps to speak of. I was happy they had a shuttle bus (while hubby played golf), I signed up for excursion to local winery.
I doubt if I would return to this vacation rental but the area is beautiful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nekrum30
Williamstown, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was so disappointed in this resort. When we arrived it was good but then we went to our Villa and it was terrible. They are old, smell really, really bad from the wood burning stove. There were ants all over the kitchen. We called to get pillows and was told they were all out. The pool was dirty full of leafs. The shower stall was so small if you dropped your soap you had to get out to pick it up. I have another vacation coming up in October to stay at River Ridge One and I'm hoping they aren't this bad. My bedspread was dirty; called for a clean one. Nothing like turning your bed down and there is stains on the bedding...EWW. We had to wash the dishes before using because of the ants. Kept all of our food in the refrigerator. If there was something left on the table the next day covered in ants. The activities weren't very happening either. You have to pay 5.00 for miniature golf and my grandson was only 3 years old...Really, Come on...Wyndham what are you doing with this resort??
My family and I stayed for 3 days and I couldn't wait to go home. This is the worst for Wyndham. I really wouldn't recommend this place unless you don't care about the above then book away but I'm serious this was not a good labor day weekend.

Room Tip: I hear Crestview is nice but really hard to get a place there. They have limited space.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Gloria L
Manchester, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

After reading many reviews I became apprehensive about our stay at Shawnee River Village II. We are long time Wyndham owners (Fairfield before that) and we have never stayed in a bad place. The Wyndham site clearly states when the units were built and describes them as "rustic." There have been very few updates since construction. Two out of three of the televisions were new. The flooring, except the kitchen, appeared to be fairly new and the washing machine was state of the art. The dryer was old but perfectly functional. The fan in the freezer did get loud sometimes but kept our frozen items frozen. The stove, oven and microwave were in perfect working order. We were missing a remote for the DVD player and had a window that wouldn't close but maintenance quickly addressed these issues and resolved them to our satisfaction. The unit was clean when we arrived although the cleaning and inspection crew were just leaving an hour after normal check-in time. This unit was missing some of the things we have come to expect like a full compliment of personal items, a hair dryer and facial tissue but had plenty of kitchen utensils and towels. I can see where people who are expecting new furniture and granite would be put off but we liked the unit for it's cottage like feel and with two floors, two bedrooms and two and a half baths there was plenty of space for the four of us.

We made two longer day trips, one to Jim Thorpe (1 hour away) for whitewater rafting and one to Hershey (2 hours away) to visit HersheyWorld and HersheyPark. Our other activities, such as the Crayola Experience, hiking at Bushkill Falls and the Skytop Adventure course were closer. We also spent a little time at the outlet mall and enjoyed some of the resort amenities. Overall, we had a very nice stay. I would recommend this resort to people as long as they understand what type of unit they will be staying in.

Room Tip: It is important to know which type of unit you will be staying in and adjust your expectations accor...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Shea V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Scottish Inns Milford
Scottish Inns Milford
#3 of 6 in Milford
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos

Been to Shawnee River Village 2? Share your experiences!