“Very old, uncomfortable, dirty and outdated”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Shawnee River Village 1
Lake Wylie, South Carolina
“Very old, uncomfortable, dirty and outdated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

First, I tried to submit this review through Tripadvisor back when we came home from this trip, which was June 2009. It was rejected because it was a timeshare resort, which is mentioned in other people's reviews, so I'm not sure why they rejected the review. I've decided that I needed to add my two cents because these units at this resort are awful and people need to be warned.

So I shall begin: I initially researched this resort online and was quite hesitant to take it based on the awful reviews. But, at the time there were limited openings at this resort so I went ahead and booked it for one week for my husband and myself to celebrate a belated honeymoon. I tried to reason with myself, that since the resort is owned by Wyndam their properties were typically well cared for and somewhat upscale I figured since Wyndam took over, that these older units would've been upgraded and re-vamped. Well, I was very wrong!

Shawnee River Village 1 overlooks the golf course, which is beautiful but the units are ancient and depressing. Plus, there are no elevators or easy way to get to them but to haul your stuff up a flight and half of rickety stairs (we were on the second level). We felt very bad for the people on the third levels.

We checked in a day late and in the evening. So we had to check in at the Rec. center where there was only two people waiting in front of us and check in went relatively fast. They do ask you for a $50 deposit that gets credited back after you check-out (if you put it on your debit card it takes 30 days to credit back to you).

When we walked into our unit we were immediately disappointed and depressed. The furniture and decor seems to date back 20 + or so years. The only nice feature is that it does have a screened in porch that leads onto an open porch with a gorgeous view. The living room furniture is dark wood benches with hard foam cushions covered in an old fashioned plaid material. The cushions tended to slide apart when you lay or sit on them for extended periods of time. The master bedroom mattress was hard as a rock and I woke up in the middle of the night with horrible back pain. We had to move to the second bedroom and choose the softest of the two double beds in there. The master bath is partly out into the bedroom,( the large mirror and sink and counter), the commode and small shower stall are thankfully separate. The second bath has a weird red tub that is deep but not wide. It was actually kind of creepy. We found out it is called a "Japanese soaking tub". The housekeeping was also sub-standard. We even found a balled up dirty kleenex in there and dead bugs on the kitchen floor. There is no laundry area in the unit, you have to go downstairs outside to get to the laundry room. There was also a terrible odor of raw sewage outside where we were parked.

After a day and a half there of staying in that horrible unit, combined with rainy weather and we agreed to sit through their timeshare sales pitch which lasted 2 hours. We did manage to complain about our unit to our sales rep who said we had to complain to the company we booked our trip through (Interval). So we called the company that night and complained that the unit was sub-standard and not even close to your typical Wyndam resort. Their offer was for us to leave that night and we'd get our week back to use some other time, somewhere else plus associated deposit fees. They didn't have any other availabilities in the Poconos. It was 8:00 at night and we had 3 hours to decide, plus we lived 11 hours away and had come by car and to top it off I was horribly sick. We didn't have the funds to stay in a hotel since we had budgeted for this, so we called back and got a different rep and asked if we could at least stay the night and leave in the morning instead of that minute. Well, they had another unit available in Ridge Top Summit which they said was Wyndam's newer units, so we jumped on that opportunity and said we'd take it.

Well, come to find out from the wonderful front desk supervisor, Pat, we didn't need to go through all that hassle, we should've come directly to them at the Wyndam check in desk, the sales rep had been wrong to advise us to call who we booked the trip through. When it was all said and done, Pat ignored the unit our booking company wanted to put us in, which was still an older unit, and she put us in one of Wyndam's beautiful units with a huge jacuzzi tub, updated decor and furnishings and beautiful outdoor foliage. We also were presented with 2 bottles of wine, courtesy of the manager via Pat for congratulations on our marriage and honeymoon.

These older units might be fine if you don't want any type of 5 star accomodations, don't mind hard bedding or sofa and plan on sight-seeing, doing outdoor activities with the kids, etc. Otherwise, these units are horrible and I would not even refer my worst enemy to stay here.

There are wonderful restaurants nearby (Sam Snead's Tavern which is right on the golf course, awesome upscale place w/ great food and service) and some great local attractions. The golf course looked beautiful to play on. It rained most of the week so we were stuck doing a lot of indoor things - Pocono Candle Factory, where we made our own candle. One of the local winery's for wine tasting, we did get to the Delaware Water Gap on one good day for some great pictures.

Room Tip: DO NOT waste your money and book a vacation at Shawnee River Village 1 or 2. The other units on the...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Butterfly8184

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Phillipsburg, NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

Decayed food and garbage everywhere including on the couch cushions. Housekeeping basically changed the bedding and that is about all. The small stack of towels in the guest room were literally stuck to the surface of the night table as if they had been glued down. Most of the other towels were dusty smelling and stiff. Sinks and toilet were dirty and the toilet seat was broken. Dead bugs laid everywhere. Extremely under appointed without a lot of basic equipment.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deb M
Waukesha, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

Booked 3 days last week with family including two children < 1 yr. First assigned to Depuy and then Ridgetop Unit 75 (only after contacting Wyndham corporate office from the parking lot). Depuy Unit 102 was uninhabitable. Musty smelling; dirty carpets; dirty furniture; dark and unsafe (electrical wiring to VCR exposed and within reach of children). Local management would not respond to our request for reassignment. Only acted after being forced too by Wyndham Customer Relations.
Ridgetop unit was also in need of renovation but was at least liveable. It was explained to us that that the resorts here with the exception of Crestview are manged not owned by Wyndham and are at the mercy of the owner's association who control what renovations will be done and when.
We left after two days. Just never felt comfortable. We left of list of needed immediate repairs at the desk.
This is a blackmark on The Wyndham brand. They need to get more involved in bringing this up to their standards.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank ghaw662
Tobyhanna, PA, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I had a banked week with Interval expiring, and needed to take some vacation time from work. Shawnee was just the right match for me. I'm relatively local, but I've never really experienced the beauty our area has to offer to vacationers. I have now. From River Village 1, you can walk to the beautiful Shawnee Inn and experience the Poconos of the Past, marked by their incredibly hospitality and dedication to customer service. As a Wyndam guest in the legacy Shawnee units, you can request access to the Shawnee Inn indoor pool, which is gorgeous, and has great lounge chairs for your comfort. Your unit will be on the beautiful Shawnee golf course, which is a treat, if you play. The Inn and its properties are all ecologically and organically conscious. The food is wonderful...breakfast and dinner at the Inn, or lunch or dinner at the Gem and Keystone....it's all good (and locally grown. Even the beer is made in their micro-brewery).

Yes, the units are old and in need of refurbishing, the bathrooms leave a lot to be desired (that wierd little orange tub and tiny showers), and there was a strong sulfer odor from the hot water heater....but after a day one day, all of that is diminished by the natural beauty of the Delaware. Yes, there are lots of rustic steps outside the units to climb, plus more stairs inside. This is not the place for anyone with a handicap. But for those who love nature and are in good shape, try a week here...or stay a few days at the Inn. The beauty of the are will win you over. You will be a convert. Don't expect five-star fancy...it's not here. What is here is something that has to be experienced to be appreciated.

So my first impression was "eeewwwwww." Today, my last day here, I'm sorry that I have to leave.
\

Room Tip: Ask to use the pool and gym facilities at the Shawnee Inn. You just need to go to the front desk to...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lori_Pocono
Averill Park, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed at Shawnee Village I in the top unit R10 July 2012. I was very scared about staying at this property due to all the negative reiews. Much to our surprise, the condo was fantastic. It was so peacefull. We loved the location being on the top of the other units. There were alot of stairs but that is what made it so fun with all of our kids. The unit was very clean and the beds were so comfortable. We are used to beach vacations so this was a nice change. THere were alot of things to do in the area that were not expensive. I highly recomend Bushkill Falls and the Snake and Animal Farm. We went to both of those plalces twice. Camel Back Adventure park is worth visiting. There are so many unique shops in the area. I was not impressed with the outlets. The mini golf at the activity center was great as well as the pools and the game rooms. We did a wine tour for $15 from the resort. It was amazing. We can not wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Darlene M
San Jose, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed at this resort in June 2012. Our first impression was what a Dump! The paint was peeling, the exterior had signs of advanced dry rot, it looked really bad. Once we saw the inside of the unit that changed to some degree, granted it is rustic and basic. Our unit (17) had been remodeled in 2008 and appeared ready for another. The ammenities of the resort were very basic as well, pool, tennis, game room etc. The fitness room was a few cardio machines that just did not cut it for me. There is no mid-week clean, which is a notch below what we are accustomed. The surrounding area of the golf course & Delaware river on the edge of the property were the saving grace for this stay. For future travelers, keep your expectations in check.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Hugemaniac1
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

We stayed on this property in May 2012. Club Wyndham refers to this property as "rustic". I refer to it as very old and badly in need of renovation. I was amazed that Club Wyndham had the nerve to try to sell us such a timeshare.

On the positive side:

The unit was clean and the grounds were very nice thanks to Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, the neighbouring property.

On the negative side:

1. This is the fifth timeshare company that I have stayed at in the U.S.in the last three years. In all other timeshares Housekeeping comes in AT LEAST once a week to change the sheets and replace towels if you so wish. Club Wyndham has the nerve to charge a fee for cleaning your unit even once, unless you are staying for more than one week. I inquired about getting clean towels and was told that I would be charged a fee for a fresh bag of towels, or, in the alternative, I could wash them myself in the laundry room under our unit. In the other four timeshare companies we have stayed at, either they brought you a fresh bag of towels for free, came in everyday and replaced the towels if necessary or, at least, gave you clean towels in exchange for the soiled ones.

2. There was an indoor balcony which let to an outdoor one. The indoor one was disgusting, I hated to sit out there. There were, at least, 10 large dead bugs stuck between the filthy screens. The screen door (if you could even call it that) that led to the outside balcony was very old. The bottom panel of the door was attached to the rest of the door on only two of the four sides. I was afraid in open it in fear that it would fall apart.

3. The sheets in the master bedroom were too small for the queen sized mattress. We woke up in the morning to find that we were partially sleeping on a bare mattress (disgusting). The cheap vertical blinds on the windows allowed light to come in so the room was nice and bright at six o'clock in the morning. Fortunately, there were only the two of us staying in the unit so we were able to move to the second bedroom to alleviate these problems.

4 The telephones were the old fashioned ones that probably have not been in stores in the last ten years (without a word of exaggeration). The TV in the master bedroom was also very ancient.

5. There were bedspreads on the beds covering old blankets (something that you don't even see in lower end hotels any more).

6. There were 27 stairs to climb just to get to the front door of the unit which made it difficult with suitcases. There were an additional 13 stairs if you were in one of the higher units.

7. The shower stalls were the tiniest I have ever seen. The floor became slippery when wet and there were no bars to hang onto.

8. Wyndham claims to have renovated the property in 2010. I can't imagine where. At least not in the unit that we stayed in.

One thing that I know for sure, I will never stay on a Club Wyndham property again, let alone, every dreaming of buying one.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Linda129
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Budget Inn & Suites
Budget Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Hampton Inn Stroudsburg / Poconos
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Days Inn East Stroudsburg
Days Inn East Stroudsburg
#6 of 8 in East Stroudsburg

Been to Shawnee River Village 1? Share your experiences!