Most of us look a little weary once we are 100 years old. And the Shawnee Inn does show its years . The rooms in the inn are quite small and the bathrooms adequate, but not palatial. While everything is in good repair, the inn is a 100 year old structure and there are the inherent limitations . But they say with age comes wisdom. And that is abundant here. You will find comfy pillow top mattresses, outdoor activities for the whole family, a choice of 3 places to eat, (4 in summer), a championship golf course, Segway and bicycle rides, an on-site Spa, and my personal favorite, the lovely veranda with rocking chairs. This is the perfect place to read a book and sip your favorite beverage. There is also the Shawnee Playhouse where the bandleader Fred Waring used to broadcast his radio show. There are still live shows presented there.
I’ve stayed here twice this summer. I was here in June with a 10 year grandson and in August with a 19 year old niece. The grandson had a fishing lesson with Will, the Shawnee Inn fishing guide. Three months later my grandson is still talking about his fishing lesson and his stay at the inn. Even though he was not thrilled that I made him eat in a “white table cloth restaurant”, the River Room, he was delighted they had the ever-popular “chicken nuggets and fries”. He loved the golf cart tour of the grounds, the indoor pool, and the bon fire with s’mores in the evening. My niece enjoyed her very first spa visit, her Segway ride, and the chance to take lots of pictures of the lovely, “Big D,” the Delaware River.
My niece and I made a point of taste testing each of the eating places. We especially enjoyed the Gem and Keystone brew pub and the outdoor Bistro. The coffee and cookies from the Buckwood Café were a hit too. In the morning, the breakfast buffet in the River Room was extensive and tasty. Overall, a tough choice for which place would be named our favorite.
I think what I liked the most was having the choice between being busy and participating in all the activities offered, or just being able to grab a book and head for that veranda. It is also one of the friendliest places I have ever stayed. No matter what employee I ran into, I got a smile, a “Hello”, and “Can I help you with anything”?
If you decide to go here, bear in mind, sometimes on weekends there are weddings going on. While watching the wedding parties get their pictures taken on the lawn is somewhat entertaining, it does change the ambiance. Not quite as relaxing with the large groups of people around, but still not as intrusive as you might think. This is a big place and the grounds are extensive. I am looking forward to my next trip this autumn to see those grounds in their fall colors and take my first golf lesson.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resort in the Pocono Mountains - Discover the historic Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, a unique destination for golf, skiing, vacations and meetings. Located only 75 miles from New York City in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania, the resort is set amidst the splendor of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Championship golf, breathtaking views, and some of the finest dining in the Pocono Mountains are only a small part of the Shawnee experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, Priceline, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shawnee Inn & Golf Hotel Shawnee On Delaware
- Shawnee Inn And Golf Resort
- Shawnee Hotel On Delaware