“One of my favorites. Adjust your expectations and you may just love it.”

The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
GreenLeadersBronze level
New jersey
“One of my favorites. Adjust your expectations and you may just love it.”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Most of us look a little weary once we are 100 years old. And the Shawnee Inn does show its years . The rooms in the inn are quite small and the bathrooms adequate, but not palatial. While everything is in good repair, the inn is a 100 year old structure and there are the inherent limitations . But they say with age comes wisdom. And that is abundant here. You will find comfy pillow top mattresses, outdoor activities for the whole family, a choice of 3 places to eat, (4 in summer), a championship golf course, Segway and bicycle rides, an on-site Spa, and my personal favorite, the lovely veranda with rocking chairs. This is the perfect place to read a book and sip your favorite beverage. There is also the Shawnee Playhouse where the bandleader Fred Waring used to broadcast his radio show. There are still live shows presented there.

I’ve stayed here twice this summer. I was here in June with a 10 year grandson and in August with a 19 year old niece. The grandson had a fishing lesson with Will, the Shawnee Inn fishing guide. Three months later my grandson is still talking about his fishing lesson and his stay at the inn. Even though he was not thrilled that I made him eat in a “white table cloth restaurant”, the River Room, he was delighted they had the ever-popular “chicken nuggets and fries”. He loved the golf cart tour of the grounds, the indoor pool, and the bon fire with s’mores in the evening. My niece enjoyed her very first spa visit, her Segway ride, and the chance to take lots of pictures of the lovely, “Big D,” the Delaware River.

My niece and I made a point of taste testing each of the eating places. We especially enjoyed the Gem and Keystone brew pub and the outdoor Bistro. The coffee and cookies from the Buckwood Café were a hit too. In the morning, the breakfast buffet in the River Room was extensive and tasty. Overall, a tough choice for which place would be named our favorite.

I think what I liked the most was having the choice between being busy and participating in all the activities offered, or just being able to grab a book and head for that veranda. It is also one of the friendliest places I have ever stayed. No matter what employee I ran into, I got a smile, a “Hello”, and “Can I help you with anything”?

If you decide to go here, bear in mind, sometimes on weekends there are weddings going on. While watching the wedding parties get their pictures taken on the lawn is somewhat entertaining, it does change the ambiance. Not quite as relaxing with the large groups of people around, but still not as intrusive as you might think. This is a big place and the grounds are extensive. I am looking forward to my next trip this autumn to see those grounds in their fall colors and take my first golf lesson.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Compuwriter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Celebrating its 100th year in 2011, Shawnee Inn is among a small number of major resorts that puts relaxation and the outdoors above glitz. There is no glitz unless you would count the excellent in-room jacuzzi. A large number of outdoor activities are available as well as the award winning golf course. The resort takes the concept of being green seriously. Locally sourced foods in the restaurants, their own apiary and farm, a brewery constructed from recycled equipment, organic and natural products in the spa are just a few of their environmentally sensitive measures. All of this does not compromise comfort and luxury. A pillow menu is available as well as sleep specialists that will read bedtime stories to children - all complimentary. Live music is played frequently in the restaurants.

Room Tip: Being 100 years old, no two rooms are exactly alike. Just ask to see some if you need anything parti...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank penandpalate
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Needs major renovations. We were put in a king suite which overlooked a black roof and gutters filled with leaves. Bath towels were ripped. Tubs were fit with bathfitters several years ago. Rooms smelled so strong of mildew. Wallpaper peeling off wall. Water damage stains were simply painted over. The only thing that was fantastic was the staff at the front desk. Oh yeah and flower arrangements were dead.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Goldfish325
New Jersey
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My husband and I stayed for one night, and that was too much for a place like this. First off let me say we paid close to 300 dollars for one night in a standard room. NOT WORTH IT!! For that price we could have stayedd in a gorgeous hotel in Philadelphia or even New York City. Granted it is a nice area with historic roots, but it needs to be updated, renovated, and mostly cleaned up better. All that can be done and still keep the charm and the history. You walk into room and it smells moldy. Bathroom ceiling had mold, the tub was red small and best example would be sitting in a bucket full of water, eww. The shower head had mold and the fixtures didn't appear to be cleaned in who knows how long. The room itself was outdated and the beds were uncomfortable. The chairs in the room by the table were stained and the table itself was dirty and there was dust everywhere. Oh and I found in pretty funny how there were only 20 channels, for the price of the room there should have been more channels and room service to say the least. Would have loved this place if it didn't look as if nothing was cleaned or updated or cleaned in 20 years. Best advice for the hotel is clean up your facility, and renovate it, it badly needs it, and you can renovate it and still keep the charm of the facility and its charm. Will not be coming back here, still trying to get over how much we paid for a dump. Do not come here it is not worth it unless you like dirty over priced hotels!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Syl211
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 August 2011

My husband and I booked one night at this inn after a long cross-country road trip, and left wishing we could have stayed a bit longer. We were ready for something different from the run-of-the-mill, satisfactory-but-predictable chain hotels that we usually rely on, and this gracious place delivered, despite our arrival in one of the most intense heat waves in recent history. We did consult Tripadvisor first, and concluded that multiple reviews registering dissatisfaction with a single event (interrupted by a power outage), and a couple of others that took issue with the inn's traditions (i.e., you can't parade through the lobby in your wet bathing suit) weren't really relevant for us. What WAS relevant was the proximity of a brewpub with craft beers, and a beautiful river view, which we requested when we called for a room reservation, and received. Throughout the inn, it's fun to look at all the archival photos of the celebrities who've stayed or golfed there over the decades. I especially enjoyed swimming in the Delaware River from the Inn's sandy point where families were hanging out (there's also an indoor pool). (You can rent kayaks and canoes right there, but we didn't have time, and there's lots of hiking in the area, plus some cute places to shop in town.) We were able to stroll a lighted path to The Gem and Keystone Pub for dinner--what a relaxing pleasure after having been in a car for hours. On the way back, there was a beautiful doe in the woods. The Pub's food and beers were quite good. (I would recommend that the Inn place a small, simple map of the resort in each room. It took us awhile to realize that none of the dining rooms in the main building was the brew pub we were looking for.) Even though the Inn is old--celebrating its centennial this year--the air conditioning worked great, even in the unusual heat, and the room was comfortable, although not perfectly soundproof (we could hear talking in the adjacent room, but not to a bothersome degree). There were two fluffy bathrobes in the closet. I liked the inn's emphasis on "green" management; a little bowl of river stones was set out to make guests mindful of the environment. The lobby is like the well-worn lodge library, and the long covered porch with its rocking chairs is inviting--but too hot to go out there during our stay! You can also dine outside, there or in The Gem and Keystone. The building and grounds are carefully maintained. I was impressed with the evident commitment of management and staff to certain standards and to making improvements. First, the friendly, energetic bartender serving a group of golfers in the inn's main lounge remembered one of them from a visit a year before. Second, I overheard a caretaker talking about the nearly-accomplished goal of having attractive pavers create a border wherever asphalt meets grass. Third, when I was checking out, I mentioned that our bathtub was slow to drain. Before I'd left the front desk, the concierge was on the phone to maintenance to have them take a look at that bath! Wow, how responsive can you get? Fourth, when I got home, in the mail was a thank-you card from the inn, AND a letter offering a discount on a future stay. Wish we could take them up on it!--but we probably won't be headed that way again. It's a grande dame of a place, slightly creaky but charming and lively. Thank YOU, Shawnee Inn.

Room Tip: Request a river view--it's worth it.
1 Thank Jewel1004
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Recently my husband and I stayed at the Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort for a couple of days of R & R.
Upon our arrival we were greeted by the pleasant polite staff that could not do enough to make our stay memorable.
We reserved a river view room which was very clean and the view was lovely.
Concierge, Tara Brinker was very helpful with her knowledge of the area and reserving a golf course view in the River Room Restaurant. Dinner was very good and made even more enjoyable by the melodic sounds of Pete Begley playing "the stick".
Our stay was so enjoyable, we look forward to returning soon.

4 Thank Travelingirl1702
South Seaville, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 July 2011

From the elevator being broken for our whole stay of 3 days, to a water leak where we had no water for a day, to not having items on the dinner menu available, to being looked at by the front desk like we were bothering them when we had a question, to the air conditioner not cooling the room, to hidden resort fees charged at checkout. tell me would this ruin your impression of a resort. Well it did for us. Not a 3 nor a 2 star stay would have been better staying at a motel 8. Will never go back and cannot recommend to others.

4 Thank mdthorn61
robhowell, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the experience you had here at our resort.
There are many things you expect when you book a room and I am certain water is
definately one of them. All in all we did not live up to your expectation and believe me, we didn't live up to mine either. I have gone over all of these issues with our staff and hope that you will come back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Hampton Inn & Suites Bartonsville
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!