“We're Baaaaack!”

The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Shawnee Inn has become our family getaway place.I think this was my 5th or 6th visit here in the last 2 or 3 years, but who's counting? My grandaughter and I visted over her spring vacation this March. We stayed two nights and got in our yearly spa trip. She is a young teenager and I really love that she likes one of my favorite places as much as I do. The beds were comfy and the service, as always, very attentive and friendly. But if you are going in the "off season" be aware the operative word during the week is that a few things are "off". The in house eatery, The River Room, is closed for lunch and dinner and the snack bar closes at 6:00 pm. But the brew pub up the street is still open so it is not really a problem. AND to compensate you get those great off-season discounts at the spa so it averages out. We are always very happy with our spa treatments and the products made by "Emma's Friends" are great. In any season, we love Shawnee Inn. In the spring to kick back, and in the other seasons to rev up and be busy with all the activities.

2  Thank Compuwriter

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Spent my Easter Week here. Enjoyed my löcation overlooking the golf course and the waters of the Delaware River. Rooma at the Inn are cosy and fireplaced . Enjoyed a good Easter Buffet, and found the staff to be friendly and helpful, especially Osman at the front desk.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Tnt-people
Reviewed 6 April 2013

We were looking for a couple of nights , in the Pocono Mountains. But quiet and off the main road. The Inn was old classic turn of the 20th century, with large verandas facing the river.
We don't play golf , but It was what we expected for an old hotel.
The room was very small (especially with the king size bed), but the bed was VERY comfortable.
They had a very nice indoor pool, (we forgot our suits).They did have a restaurant and coffee shop, but the restaurants menu did not interest us.
The hotel was clean , but worn looking.
In all a nice stay

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kate723
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We had a very nice time staying for an extended spring break weekend. Being between seasons, we missed the green(spring)/colors(fall), which I am sure looks beautiful across the river. Kids did enjoy the riverside campfire in the evenings. Although 100 years old, its a quaint little place, with a fireplace in the lobby, chairs on the verandah, game room & a nice little in-house Deli. Place is kept nicely, friendly staff, only grouse being the noise level at night, it does get embarrassing.

Bushkill falls is a only 15 mile drive for a nice trek. if u r a foodie try the nearby Peruvian 'Inti' & 'Saen Thai" for some surprisingly authentic fare.

Room Tip: Try to get a River view room on the top floor.
1  Thank Paresh B
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We staied one night, kids loved the fire pit, tractor ride, pool, and nice local,
i would go again. Piano was going for hours on this friday night, fire place was on, great sitting area, very large comrtable lobby,

2  Thank abaerez
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I went here with my boyfriend last week for 2 days, for a super short getaway from the city. Its low season so we were maybe 2 out of 7 guests (at most) in the entire huge hotel. Its an old plantation-style building and reminded me of being in The Shining, so everytime we would walk down the empty hallway, I would expect to see Jack Nicholson rounding the corner yelling "here's Johnny"!

The porter was very friendly, but the woman at the reception desk was not as friendly as one would hope. We had a Living Social package included breakfast, so the day we checked out, we decided to eat first, then checkout, and brought our bags with us. We were the only people in the huge dining room. It looked like the room where they "put Baby in the corner", minus the stage. Breakfast was good. But we were 5 minutes late to checkout, and the woman at the desk said, "Oh I was told you just left because you abandoned your room and we didn't see you leave". Well, it seems to me that since we were practically your only guests, maybe you would check the dining room (5 feet away) to see if we were eating breakfast. And also, what were we supposed to do with the room? Leave something in it so as not to "abandon" it?

Overall though, the place was not bad. The room was very small, as was the bathroom. So small that we had to leave the bathroom just to dry off after a shower because there was no space even to bend over. But the bed was incredibly comfortable!! I wish I could take it home with me. The amenities were clean too. They had a pool/jacuzzi and fitness room which were nice.

I don't know if I'd come back here, but it was definitely an experience!

on a side note, there was a tiny dive bar down the road from the Shawnee called the Minisink Hotel. They were super friendly and fun and all beers were $1.75. highly recommended. Will rate that too if they're on trip advisor.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Francesca A B
Rob H, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Thank you for taking time out to write about your experience at our resort. Because we are a historic resort, our staff is asked many questions about the presence of ghosts, spirits, etc... It is part of the charm and atmosphere of a historic property and we are proud of our history and what has happened here over the past 100 years. I am sorry for your experience with our front desk. No excuse. The size of our guest rooms and bathrooms are typical of properties from this era. We offer many amenities for your guest room, activites to engage in the beautiful outdoors and opportunties to relax in our breathtaking setting in an effort to exceed your expectations. Now that you know we are a historic property, come back and enjoy the many amenities, activities and exceptional service we have to offer.

Reviewed 23 March 2013

My husband and I have never been to the Poconos and Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort was recommended to us by a friend. Upon our arrival, the desk clerk ( I am so sorry I can't quite recall the name) was very friendly and listened to my requests for a room. Not only did he listen, but he convered with the manager on duty to convey to me that we were being upgraded and that they wanted us to have an enjoyable first visit. My husband and I checked into our room on the third floor overlooking the river with a fireplace and were so excited about our upcoming weekend stay. It was updated, quiet, and comfortable. The only suggestion to staff is to add one more chair to the room so both of us could watch out the window at the beautiful river and that day, the falling snow.
Unfortunately, and sadly, we received a very upsetting call about a death in the family and had to leave immediately.
The staff was very understanding and we recently received notice that we were granted a total refund.
We can't wait to come back.
This hotel is charming & the staff is amazing. We thank them for their understanding at a very difficult time.
Prior to our leaving, a quick tour of the hotel showed a lovely indoor pool, a few guests shared their rooms and each is unique. I would guess that if you just let the staff know prior to arrival about your individual needs (kitchenette, sitting area, view, fireplace, floor level preference, etc.) that they are most accommodating.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank littlemoose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 8 in East Stroudsburg
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!