“At home feeling in an incredible spot”

The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our time was short, but that didn't stop us from seeing that this was a very well run hotel in an incredible location. Exploring the grounds, sitting on the porch and possibly taking in a round of golf would make any stay worth while!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Rob H, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

LukeJ: Thank you for writing about your brief Shawnee experience. We hope you will return when you can stay longer. Our location is very special, as well as our staff. It is a beautiful place to take a walk, sit by the river and contemplate, or simply spin around and around on our expansive front lawn until you fall down. Oh yes, and the golf is excellent too. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The room was clean and comfortable, although the bathrooms are extremely small. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Great golf! this is an old Inn in the Poconos. Although dated, it is very charming and a great family destination.

Room Tip: If possible, get a corner room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Rob H, Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear GregS: Thank you for relaying your Shawnee experience. In 1911 they did not believe in huge bathrooms like the ones constructed today. We are trying to maintain the integrity of the history of the building. The bathrooms are one of the areas that definitely have our attention and we are working on manageable solutions. We prefer historic to old and are trying to do what we can so that our guests do not have to be inconvenienced by the age of the property.
This is a great family destination. Thank you for saying so, We really encourage families to recreate together with the activities we have planned and the programs we offer. Visit again. If you love great golf play our Championship course at Shawnee and we have another course, Great Bear Golf Club which is a Nicklaus design.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have a great time over Memorial Day weekend. This is our second visit to the hotel. The area is very beautiful and service is great. The bed is very comfortable. The room need a few touch up but it was still great.

Room Tip: We have the room by the lobby. I prefer the rooms on the third floor facing the river.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Schong: Thank you for spending your Memorial Day Weekend with us. We are very fortunate to be located in such a beautiful area. I will pass along your nice comments to the staff. They are exceptionally hardworking and dedicated to Shawnee. We continue to look for other ways to become more sustainable. Tour our 1/2 acre farm the next time you are here. Be safe and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My Husband were looking for a getaway for our 5th Anniversary in the Poconos and found the Shawnee Inn - and I'm so glad we did! It's beautiful...a view of the river and a well-kept historic hotel, restaurant, spa, etc.

About 4 hours into our stay, we had a "freak" accident and our car caught fire in the parking lot! Without too much detail, it was a total loss and we were dealing with insurance and trying to find a way home to our kids the next day (Memorial Day weekend). There was a huge eyesore in their parking lot, for sure.

The entire staff from the concierge to the Owner were SO gracious to us and helped us however they could. Took care of the tow call, took us to get a rental car in town and made us feel less nervous and upset about what had happened.

We will certainly be going back - with kids, maybe?! There were other fun activities to do like s'more making and hayrides but we ran out of time. The spa and restaurant were fabulous, though!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay M
Rob H, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Lindsay M - Thank you for celebrating your 5th anniversary at Shawnee. I am so sorry about your car. As you stated, it was a "freak" accident and a first for me and other staff members. We are fortunate to have such a beautiful location on the Delaware River. I hope that you will return in the near future.

Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Upon staying in May we enjoyed the comfort and spacious Cedar cottage that fit our six family members. It was very clean even with a real fire place in it! The climate control worked exceptionally well (especially since it was a muggy night after a rain storm). All the staff members that we came in touch with were extremely polite, like the concierge and front desk. The perk of being attached from the beautiful in is the quiet coziness that the cottage offered ! It was literally like having a home on the Delaware that you could see from every window. We are glad we stayed at such a magnificent upscale resort! Not to mention the beautiful golf greens which we did not use, but it was pleasant to see the beautiful landscape upon walking the grounds !

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Arron R
Rob H, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Arron R - Thank you for relaying your Shawnee Experience. The Cedar Cottage is the perfect place for a family of small group to stay and enjoy some time together. The room configuration and gathering space make it a perfect place to share conversations, games or just relax reading a book. I will pass along your kind words about the staff. It is our goal to offer exceptional service to each and every guest at every opportunity. We hope you will return sometime soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This place is getting so bad, it is literally falling apart so management can save a few pennies I guess. They also seemed to save a few pennies on the insulation in the wall, because there is none! I could hear the people talking right through the wall, if that was not bad enough, when they fell asleep I could hear them snoring like they were right next to me. If you are not going to do a place right, just shut the place down already! Never coming back...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank m k
Rob H, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear M K - I have looked at your pictures, shared them with our staff and have addressed those concerns that can be corrected immediately. I can only speak for management, but our intention is not to save pennies and deliver a sub quality product. We are fortunate to work in a historic resort and we must be more diligent, flexible and creative. I apologize for the condition of the areas that were unacceptable. Thank you for helping us be better. As a historic resort on the banks of the Delaware River with beautiful views, an all natural spa, great golf, many outdoor activities, dining options, our own craft brewery and a staff that there only wish is to deliver exceptional service, it is our sincere hope that guests find some of the value in staying here rests in the entire Shawnee experience. We will work on it. I promise. I will reach out to you with a private message in hopes that you will change your mind.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I visited the Shawnee overnight for a wedding and were extremely disappointed in all aspects of our stay (other than watching our friends start their life together!). Upon arrival, we noticed how the grounds are not maintained at all, weeds growing along building, landscaping hasn't been taken care of, the outside of the hotel is run down.. Paint is chipping everywhere, carpet outside on steps is disgusting, several hornet nests near roof line where guest room windows are. Took notice that the golf course needs a lot of work...greens, fairways and sand traps. Front desk staff we semi-friendly at best. Our room faced the river and that was probably the only nice thing about it. To say it was outdated is an understatement. carpet was really dirty (I didnt want to take my shoes off) bathroom was worse. Wood was peeling off door and a piece of plywood was nailed to the back of the bathroom door to hang towels on. The shower head wasn't even high enough for my husband to stand under. Curtains were dirty and random holes in the wall. The weekend we were there was humid and our air conditioner barely kicked on and the room never cooled down. The ironing board was broke so my husband tracked down housekeeping for another one, which wasn't much better. The wedding food was cold..all three courses we had! (Bartenders were nice enough and drinks were good). Went to River Room for drinks at the bar at 9pm when reception was over and witnessed the bartender being extremely rude to another guest about a beer. We paid $150 for one night and feel our stay wasn't worth that. I don't foresee us returning to this resort any time soon. It's hard to believe other reviewers rated it 4 or 5 stars.. We feel like we must have stayed at different resorts or just expected more than others!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CFam335
Rob H, General Manager at The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear CFam335: Thank you for your review. Ouch. It was very difficult to read. I am embarrassed and apologize for your disappointment. I appreciate your candor and have gone over all aspects with our management. As I always say to our staff, perception is reality. I have no excuse for your experience and cannot change your impression or experience. Our grounds staff is working on making the flower beds and other areas beautiful, as the weather gets warmer, we will be evaluating the outside areas that need a paint brush, and I have toured many rooms with our executive housekeeper to ensure we are inspecting and the other staff know what she expects when she is inspecting. As surprised as you are at the other comments about our resort, is how surprised I am about your comments and again, I am sorry that this was your experience. I will reach out to you privately.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shawnee on Delaware
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Pocono Manor
Bushkill Inn & Conference Center
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#4 of 7 in East Stroudsburg
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Country Club
Wolf Hollow at The Water Gap Cou...
#1 of 3 in Delaware Water Gap
Holiday Inn Express Stroudsburg - Poconos
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort? Share your experiences!