We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Santosha on the Ridge Bed and Breakfast Sanctuary
Florida
“Namaste Lucy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Spent a wonderful 2 nights at Santosha. Leslie and Amy were friendly hostesses and made our stay very comfortable. The facility is awesome and the grounds equally beautiful. This B&B made a perfect home base for exploring the area. Gourmet breakfast were served every morning and coffee, tea, water, snacks were always available. They basically opened up the house to us and the other quests which made us feel quite at home. We also had fun with Lucy the dog who guarded the premises from all outside critters. Great place to visit.

Room Tip: We chose the small room on the lower floor, very cozy.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Germantown, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and I were celebrating our 1st anniversary. When I first saw the Santosha website, I immediately fell in love with it. The scenery, the rooms, everything just looked so perfect. It seemed to have all the things that I valued: simplicity, zen, peace, love, happiness...and so much more. We decided to go with Nature escape, the best room in the house.

The place turned out to be exactly what I’ve had in mind. I love every flower and every rock around the house. The room was absolutely perfect. My husband kept commenting on how cool everything is. Lastly, I went to check out the bed. To my surprise, it was really really soft. As soon as I sat on it, I just sank right in. I told my husband I don’t think I like the bed very much. He sat on it and said he doesn’t really mind. That night I got about 4 hours of sleep, intermittently. When I got up the next morning, I could feel my back hurting and my pulse racing... I realized I was stressed out. I looked to the side, my husband was not there. He had moved to the couch. That was our anniversary day, and I just couldn't continue like that. So I've decided to check out early and perhaps move to Shawnee Inn.

We silently ate our breakfast (which was very delicious btw) with the other guests, who were also celebrating their anniversary. I told them that our anniversary was today, and everyone, except the inn keeper (Leslie) congratulated us. Leslie sort of had a confused look, mixed with a frown. I couldn't really tell what she was thinking. But oh well, I thought, we're leaving anyways.

After breakfast, I quietly asked Leslie if we could check out early. Her answer was a simple yes. I went on to tell her that we absolutely loved the property, it's just that the bed in the nature escape was way too soft for us. Her response to that was, "Some people like it that way, but I understand, everyone is different". Again, I thanked her for her understanding. She then asks if we want to check out the sunrise room, which has the firmest bed. I thought, sure why not, after all, we do love everything about this place.

When we walked into sunrise room, my husband immediately fell in love with it. My concern however, was the bed. I couldn't tell if it is firm enough just by touching it with my hand. Perhaps it was the fatigue, or the desperateness that made me lost my mind. Before I knew it, I found myself lying under the cover of the bed. The door opened, and Leslie was standing by the doorway. Immediately I scrambled out of bed, which probably made it look like I was “secretly” testing the bed. But in reality, I was just really embarrassed at what I’ve done. Leslie’s statement made me felt terrible: "I didn't mean you could lie in the bed. I just made that bed, and it took me a long time. To lie in a clean bed that someone else might come to sleep in later is just not right. All you need to do is tell me if you will be leaving or staying in here".
She continued to stand there.

My husband looked at me anxiously, which I later found that, he rather we just leave. But in my guilt, I responded, yes we will stay in this room. I couldn't tell whether Leslie was relieved that she doesn't need to remake the bed, or she prefers us to leave because of my lack of manner. She just emphasized that it takes a long time to make the bed. She also told me she didn't mean to make me feel bad. I decided to let it go, because it was my fault to begin with. Later on, Leslie also told us we shouldn't eat a big meal in the room because she's worried the carpet could get dirty. I could tell my husband is getting impatient. Nonetheless, we nodded in agreement.

That day we went kayaking on the river, it was so much fun. When we got back we decided to end the day with a glass of red wine on the deck. We would've had it in the room but we remembered that red wine is not allowed in the room. Due to event earlier in the day, my husband cautiously approached Leslie, "Sorry to bother you, but do you have a cork opener and wine glasses?” She reminded us to drink the wine at the deck, and handed us the cork opener and wine glasses. We glanced down at the wine glasses - they were made out of plastic. Without saying much, we went outside. We sat in the rocking chair and toasted the night away. It was a perfect anniversary day.

That night, I managed to get about 5 hours of sleep, still waking up a couple of times in the night. The sun hits my eyes right at six o'clock, and I just couldn't fall asleep anymore (even with an eye mask on). My husband tossed around the entire night. Turns out he didn't like his pillow. When we got up, he was very quiet, didn't talk much. When we got downstair, we saw a stranger in the kitchen, Amy, the other inn keeper. She reminded me of a school teacher that I had long ago in elementary. She congratulated us on our anniversary, and we had a very heartwarming conversation.

“I like Amy”, my husband said to me when we were alone. I smiled back, “me too”.

Before we headed out for biking that day, we decided to heat up the leftover food in the microwave. My husband suggested we just eat it cold because he doesn’t want to cause any inconvenience for them. I told him, "don’t be silly, we’re a guest here". Amy went to get a plate for us from the cabinet, but was stopped by Leslie, who insisted that the plate was very hard to replace. “Is paper plate okay?” she asked cheerfully. Almost immediately, husband and I answered in concord “Yes, that’s fine”. When we were outside, I asked him if he felt offended. He simply smiled and didn’t say anything. I held his hand. We had a delightful lunch on the deck. Later on when we were hanging out in the porch, Leslie came in to turn the fan on for us. We thanked her wholeheartedly. It was a very nice gesture of her, and we really appreciated it.

That night I gave my pillow to my husband because I remembered he didn’t like his. His pillow felt okay at first, but for some reason it became more and more uncomfortable throughout the night. Finally I tossed it onto the ground, and slept without it. I slept 3 hours. When the light hits my eye in the morning, I was so tired beyond words can describe. I honestly was ready to pull my hair out. My whole body aches from the hiking, kayaking and biking we did 2 days ago, and my head was ready to explode with the lack of sleep.

That’s when it occurred to me: I came to Santosha to find relaxation, along with other important qualities in life such as happiness, simplicity and zen, but in the end I realized that we’ve had all those good qualities since the very beginning. We didn’t need to come here at all. We could’ve spend our anniversary at a noisy and crowded place, and still be as happy.

Due to traffic, it took us 6 hours to get home. Although completely exhausted, we both agree that there’s no place like home 

Room Tip: The place is absolutely beautiful! But the rooms has no blind at all - early birds only!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heng X
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

The house is beautiful, and the breakfast was fantastic. There are great hiking trains nearby, and the general store has fantastic sandwiches. I think the only downside is that our room didn't have a thermostat, so one night when the house didn't have A/C on, we were too hot. That being said, we would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

After a week full of driving on a business trip, this was the best surprise. The B&B feels like a home away from home. It is decorated in beautiful mountain/peaceful charm without the kitschy Bed & Breakfast feeling you get from many places. No doilies, overwhelming fabric, or old furniture. We stayed in the only room on the first floor. It was a weekday so it was very quiet, so i'm not sure what it would be like with more couples and noise. You are literally in the woods, it's beautiful. The view is gorgeous, the surrounding gardens, labyrinth, and pond are fun to explore. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. My husband and I will be going back, and I can't wait to do yoga on the porch!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

We've stayed in the Sunrise Room twice and would like to move in. The food and people at Santosha are wonderful and helpful, especially if you care about health, well-being, yoga, or real relaxation. But the atmosphere, location, and view make the place. It gives you all the beauty and convenience of the Poconos in a setting that seems far removed from the bustle and kitsch that one also finds there. The soulful, spacious place invites you to reconsider things. And I should note that we actually got some work done and relaxed. Can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Sunrise is magnificent, but be ready to rise and shine early, as you might expect in a place defined...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed in the Riverview room on a Saturday night. The room was great - super comfortable bed, spacious, private bathroom, the view out the window makes you feel like you're in a treehouse. The architecture of the home is beyond gorgeous. Light streaming through every window, beautiful furniture, modern and sleek but still home-y. We relaxed on the back porch with a bottle of wine late into the night on Saturday, and had no idea that there were other couples also spending quality time on the other porches until we all talked about how wonderful and relaxing the evening was at breakfast the next morning. So, definitely lots of space for privacy! Breakfast was super healthy, and very tasty. I can't wait to come back.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

This was our second stay at Santosha on the Ridge. It is an amazingly beautiful, relaxing and welcoming place. The view from the deck is wonderful. My husband and I spent most of Saturday on the deck reading and talking. Breakfasts are delicious and Leslie and Amy are wonderful hosts - very friendly and warm. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable - every detail has been thought of in advance. We plan on returning every year to recharge our batteries.

Room Tip: Altho the most expensive room, "Naturescapes" was worth every penny. It has a king sized...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,130 reviews
Mountaintop Lodge at Lake Naomi

Been to Santosha on the Ridge Bed and Breakfast Sanctuary? Share your experiences!