“Pocono Paradise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Santosha on the Ridge Bed and Breakfast Sanctuary
Reviewed 10 July 2010

What an exquisite place to spend a long, luxurious weekend. The most relaxing stay we've had in years! Leslie and Amy were great. Could have stayed on the deck with a glass of wine forever. What a view!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 June 2010

We had a wonderful stay. Our room was beautiful and clean and the common spaces were inviting and comfortable. There are many special touches throughout that make a stay there special from the decorations and comfortable spaces to baked goods and a huge selection of teas available. The view off the back deck of a mountain was spectacular and the inn is very peaceful. The innkeepers are friendly and helpful with information about the area. We will look forward to going back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2010

My husband and I spent our second weekend at Santosha last weekend (the first was in October). When we left last October, I couldn't wait to come back and was not disappointed the second time around. You feel more like you are at a beautiful home here, than at a B&B. The house is so pretty, quiet, relaxing, peaceful (all the things that, sadly, my own home, with 2.5 kids, 2.5 dogs, laundry etc, is not). We had planned to ski at nearby Shawnee mountain on Saturday but since I hurt my knee on Friday, we were every bit as happy to lounge around the living room, read books by the fire, hop into the hot tub and chat with Amy, the Inn's wonderful caretaker. Amy makes the most delicious breakfast in the morning and takes great care to take everyone's dietary needs into consideration...this weekend, she had someone who doesn't eat suger and another person who was gluten free due to Celiac's but she still managed to make a wonderful breakfast. We have enjoyed chatting with other guests, while still feeling like we have some privacy. Santosha has some nice, quiet, spiritual touches as well, such as a space to do yoga, nice reading material, inspirational sayings scattered around the house and a "leaving ceremony". When you leave, you write down something that you want to let go of and then burn it outside and you take a stone with something written on it that you want more of in your life. So far, I have two stones on my bureau at home, one that says "acceptance" and one that says "music". I can't wait to go back and get another stone...who knows what it will say?

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2010

After reading at least 20 rave reviews of this B&B I thought we had hit the jackpot, and in many ways did - everything the other reviewers described with respect to the grounds, the house, the amenities, the gourmet breakfasts etc were all accurate accounts and lovely. However since this B&B's whole mantra boasts enjoying yoga, and peace, tranquility, and rest & relaxation the staff was completely the opposite throughout our stay - they were somewhat intrusive, uptight, and completely passive aggressive. From the time we arrived to the time we left, I felt like we were walking on eggshells everytime we were in the house - the only time I actually relaxed and enjoyed myself was when we left to do activities or go to dinner. Upon arriving and entering the front door we were immediately told by what we later figured out for ourselves (since there was no introduction given) was the owner to go around to the other side of the house and enter through a different door and remove our shoes - no shoes in the house at any time - o-kay. It was at this point that the rules and regulations (described as "preferences") began being rattled off while we were getting the "tour" of the house. "You have a kitchen in your room, but I prefer that you don't use the stove or cook anything" "You have a shower in the bathroom, but I'd prefer if you just used it for baths and used the shower in the other room downstairs (which was currently occupied, but would be checked out of in the morning) because I don't want water getting all over the place" "You can drink alcohol in your room, but if you're going to drink red wine you have to drink it downstairs in the kitchen or common room" "There is a key to your room, but we leave it in the hall and you shouldn't take it with you when you leave because you might lose it" I started to think, am I on vacation or in school? I could have sworn that I paid good money to get away from the grind and do some serious relaxing and have fun. We were told breakfast was at 9 and didn't know it was mandatory 9am sharp attendance until the next morning when we were met with a random woman knocking on our door (again no introduction, but later we figured out it was the innkeeper). She was there to ask us if we were planning on coming to breakfast and to remind us that breakfast was at 9am sharp and that it was now 9:30 and that our food was getting cold. Wow! Last time I checked I thought I was on vacation - what was I thinking when I thought breakfast was optional?! As we entered the kitchen, we overheard another couple being scolded for not liking vegetables (which were in the eggs) and not having made them aware beforehand. Then we were served "a baked oatmeal, it's still warm even though it's been sitting here". I asked the other couple whether they were feeling the same way as us and we then began trading stories of our stays and of the controlling owner and the passive aggressive inn keeper. All four of us agreed that if you are operating a B&B and you welcome strangers into your home, then you need to make them feel welcome, not like they are intruding on your personal space and especially not like they are teenagers renting a motel to drink and party and trash the place. I've stayed at many B&B's and this was really uncomfortable. It's unfortunate, because the place has so much potential, but the execution is just not at all the way a B&B should be. When your guests are afraid to speak louder than a whisper, and feel on edge that you're watching their every move for fear of spilling, breaking, or disrupting something, it's just impossible for them to relax!! For a place that claims to pride itself on peacefulness, a zen retreat type of place, it was really anything but relaxing.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
13  Thank travelbug2376
Reviewed 15 September 2009

We had stayed in several B&Bs but none were as warm and welcoming as Santosha. The owner and her staff made you feel like part of the family. The food was fantastic. The view from the back porch was breathtaking. The accomodations were excellent. If you want to stay in a B&B in the Pocono area I highly suggest this one. You will not be dissappointed. I know we will be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

This place is amazing. I can't think of anything negative about it. The moment you drive up you know it is a peaceful, beautiful place to unwind for a few days.
The breakfasts are wonderful. We can't wait to go back in another season.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2009

We stayed here on our way to Vermont and wished we could have spent more than one night. The huge "Naturescape" room used to be a yoga studio and far exceeded our expectations. It was very open and comfortable, with ceiling fan, large sliding glass door to let in the fresh mountain air, a nice deck, comfy chairs to relax in, and a small kitchen area complete with snack basket and refrigerator with cold drinks, It had a small bathroom with sink and clawfoot tub. We had arrived later in the evening and Amy, the manager, came to check on us to see if we needed anything. It was a nice touch. There were delicious chocolate cookies available in the kitchen downstairs. We loved the decor of this contemporary home and the view from the back porch is outstanding. Lucy, the tiny Jack Russell, was adorable and wanted to sit on our laps while we were relaxing on the porch swing.

The next morning, Leslie, the owner, took time out from her very busy schedule to shake our hands and introduce herself. We feel this is extremely important when you are running an inn. We had a nice conversation with her while awaiting the delicious breakfast Amy was preparing and serving. You could help yourself to coffee in the morning. They also had a great assortment of handmade soaps and bath gels that could be purchased.

We really enjoyed this B&B and plan to return in the fall when the leaves have changed color. I'm sure it would be even more beautiful at that time of the year.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Crescent Lodge & Country Inn

Been to Santosha on the Ridge Bed and Breakfast Sanctuary? Share your experiences!