“Go "unchained!"”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Shippensburg
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Go "unchained!"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

I selected this place for a one night stay while driving through the area, based on Trip Advisor reviews. I was not disappointed but a few small problems came up. The pros: it has the feel of a boutique hotel in a large city, with a welcoming, modern lobby, right on the main street of the town. There is ample free parking out back. The rooms were large and exceptionally clean with nice decor. The price was right. The bar and restaurant were excellent, but it is not open for breakfast. A few steps down the street is a good diner, though. On a Sunday night, with few if any other patrons dining, my sister and I enjoyed the sight of Amish horsecarts (not the black boxes, these were "convertibles" for stepping out) flying switftly by the restaurant windows, which overlook the main street.
The cons: At check-in, I asked the desk clerk if the rooms stocked lotion (my face and head were peeling from a week-long stay on the Outer Banks) and she assured me they were. However, only the barest of toiletries were found: a skinny bar of soap and a small vial of shampoo. I checked with my sister in another room and she was similarly under-supplied. The next morning, on checking out, I asked the other desk clerk if I could have some lotion, and was told that they do not have any. Admittedly, a venial sin, but more significant was the constant noise from the ventilation/heating/cooling system vent in the bathroom. It sounded like the engine on a diesel submarine and I had to close the door all night to avoid it. Thirdly, my room had a connecting door to another room, one inhabited by strangers. I heard their voices and the TV despite my piling extra pillows against it to mitigate the noise. Also, my room (403) overlooked the street and this being US Route 11, the truck noise started early.

Overall, this was a good alternative to the econobox chain motels found around all Interstate exits. It had a lot of charm and showed pride of ownership you won't find elsewhere. Just be careful to select your room and bring your own lotion!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street could be noisy in the AM. Avoid a connecting door to another room unles...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Nice, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

We arrived in Shippensburg late in the evening, so when we called into Shippen Place downtown last minute, we were expecting it to be much more expensive than it was.
And when we'd paid the nice lady at the desk and gone to our room, we were pleased to find it was clean, comfy and correct. Even the bar downstairs is lively, reasonably priced and has great beer.
Can't fault it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Danvers, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

We were on our way to the skyline drive/blue ridge pkwy, needed a place ot stay for a night. I read the reviews on tripadvisor and I'm glad i did. The room was very clean, Bobby at the front desk was great and we had sandwiches at the lounge in the hotel. The breakfast was adequate and the area was very clean. Our bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was clean and well maintained!! If we were ever back in that area, we would definately stay again!!!

Room Tip: Parking is behind the hotel in their own lot.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Our room was clean and spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable. We had 2 TVs and a kitchenette in our suite with a pull out couch. The bar was fun late night and the breakfast was adequate....typical continental. The location is convenient to the university and the downtown area. For the price, it can not be beat!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Tannersville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed here for one night---very clean and very friendly staff. Restaurant was a little pricey--but food was very good. Very quaint, not much to do in walking distance. Very nice that there was a continental breakfast available free. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Shippen Place MANY times over the past years, as we have friends and family in the area. The staff have always been polite and welcoming. They have undergone new management and a huge refurbishment this past year, so it's all looking very fresh. There are 3 kinds of dining, the bar, the patio in good weather, and the inside restaurant, and the food is of a high standard. This year we had friends come to visit us and also other family stayed there for a wedding, and they ALL said what a great place it was to stay. The buffet complimentary breakfast is more than enough for most people, hot waffles if you want them and good coffee. The lobby is always welcoming and a great place to wait for or visit with friends. They do hire local university students at the desk, so you have to be a little patient with some of them as they are training, but nothing wrong with that. It is also a popular place for small conferences and many of the people I saw there for that reason, all seemed pretty happy with it. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I recently stayed at the Shippen Place Hotel when I was in Shippensburg for a business meeting. After reading the most recent reviews on TA, I had reservations (no pun intended) about staying here. I went ahead with my stay because of the hotels location and that it was recommend by the meeting organizers.

When I checked in, after having a little trouble finding the hotel parking lot (it is down what looks like an alley from Main Street), the lobby was a bit worn, but looked clean. The front desk staff was professional, but detached. I was checked into my room quickly, but the registration process was not flexible. The person in front of me wanted to change credit cards, and that seemed to be an issue for the staff member.

Once you get to the guest floor, it is clear that a renovation has been done to some of the spaces. The carpet in the hall was brand new, but there are still many scuff marks on the doors and walls.

In the room, I was prepared for the worst (based on past reviews). I found the experience to be the opposite. The linens were white and clean (although a bit worn), the mattress was new at the end of last year, and the bathroom was mostly clean. I thoroughly inspected the room for bed bugs and other issues, and did not find any evidence in my room. I did notice some dirt build up around the nightstand (queen-queen room, between the beds), and that that toilet bowl could have been better cleaned under the rim. The shower, however, did not show any signs of mold or mildew, a problem that plagues even top-line hotels.

A plus of the hotel is a free breakfast that included the standard hot make-your-own waffles as well as cold options. Negative, no fitness center, although they do offer passes to a gym down the street.

Even with this positive experience, however, I would consider the hotel to just be average. It is clear that the current owners have addressed some of the issues mentioned here, but the hotel still feels like a tired property that has great potential (especially in a university town that has visiting faculty and speakers).

Room Tip: On a busy night in the bar, I would want a room facing Main Street. I could see the bar patio being...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shippensburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Shippensburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chambersburg
Candlewood Suites Chambersburg
Candlewood Suites Chambersburg
#7 of 16 in Chambersburg

Been to Shippen Place Hotel? Share your experiences!