“Nicest place in town”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Shippensburg
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Nicest place in town”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a nice, well kept hotel in the center of town that is within close walking distance to many things and places to eat. The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. The room was nice, clean, and comfortable. You can't ask for much more. We visited the bar and restaurant in the hotel and found both of them to be very good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
rebeccaheefner, Guest Relations Manager at Shippen Place Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We appreciate you giving your feedback about your experience.
It is so nice to hear such a wonderful review about our Hotel. We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. It was so great to hear that the location worked perfectly fine on your stay here at our Hotel. Please advise us of your trip and we will be more than happy to ensure you receive the highest level of service.
Thank you for your business, we look forward to your next stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Victor, New York
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at our hotel. Shippen Place is a clean well appointed and reasonably priced hotel with continental breakfast a restaurant and room service. ..which is almost unheard of these days.
It was everything we could hope for in a hotel including the price.
Would definitely stay there again

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Mary C
rebeccaheefner, Guest Relations Manager at Shippen Place Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you so much for the positive feedback you gave to our property. It is always our goal to meet al your expectations and to further exceed more. We hope that you will be more satisfied on your next stay should you decide to stay with us again in the future.
We look forward to serving you again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Shippen Place was appealing because it was off the main thoroughfare from Gettysburg. We had never stayed in Shippensburg before but the price and the reviews were great for the hotel. We were not disappointed. We booked through Expedia and had no issue with the reservation upon check in. The lobby, room, and breakfast area were all clean and in order. There is a place to eat at the hotel comparable in price with the Appalachian Brewing Company in Gettysburg. There is adequate free parking behind the hotel for guests. When we checked in we just wanted a quick meal so we found a Subway about a block down the street. Breakfast in the morning was good - waffle maker, cereal, pastries, yogurt, milk, juice, coffee and boiled eggs. It was just what we needed before we headed out to the battlefield.

It is a distance from Gettysburg and there are two ways to get to Shippensburg from the battlefield; Mummasburg Road and Chambersburg Rd/US 30/to 11 or I-81. Mummasburg Rd is a shorter but has many sharp curves and hills. It's a good road to travel during the day because of the scenery. But at night, Chambersburg Rd is the safest way to go.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
rebeccaheefner, Guest Relations Manager at Shippen Place Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit. We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. It is our goal to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests. We sincerely appreciate your time and effort to write us a very insightful review. Thank you very much for your business. It was a pleasure to serve you, we hope to see you soon!
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I spent on night in the Shippen Place while attending a conference at the university. The lobby is beautiful. The staff was great--there was a small town feel that I liked. I had a king suite--an upgrade because they were out of regular rooms. The room was comfortable but not opulent--this is not a major spa hotel. There was a soap and a bottle of shampoo--no lotion, mouthwash, that kind of thing. I say this not as a complaint but so you know to bring your own! The towels were wonderful. There were lots of nice pillows.

I had a problem connecting to the wifi from my room. I asked about it at the front desk on my way to dinner--the staff member checked the connection and then offered to help me. He gave me the choice of bringing my computer down to him or him coming to my room. By the time I got back from dinner I never did try again. It was frustrating not to get connected, but it was my choice not to pursue it.

Since I had a suite, i had two flat screen TVs. The remote didn't have a sleep feature, which would have been nice.

The coffeemaker had styrofoam cups--I would have preferred paper ones.

A nice place and a very nice experience. There is an outdoor patio. The town itself makes a nice evening walk. I prefer this kind of experience to a chain hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
rebeccaheefner, Guest Relations Manager at Shippen Place Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
We appreciate you giving your feedback about your experience.
It is so nice to hear such a wonderful review about our Hotel.
Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit.
Your feedback is indeed of great importance to us. We are committed to delivering the the highest level of service to our guests, your feedback will help us correct and improve our services to better achieve our primary goal.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us.
NE PA USA
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here the night before picking our son up from a seminar at Shippensburg U. The hotel is on King St, the main street through the small town. We were on the 4th floor facing the street; turned in at 10:30 on a Saturday night and slept soundly all night. The room was large and it as well as the bathroom very clean. The hotels on the outskirts of town were easily $30 more a night. There was parking in the back of the hotel and that entrance was very attractive as well; flower beds with a patio with tables for the hotel's guests or bar patrons. The room had all the amenities of an expensive chain hotel; mini-fridge, coffee maker, microwave, and hair dryer. The staff were all very friendly. There is a coffee/pastry shop in the hotel lobby; although we didn't try it as we had a brunch to go to. Nice to be able to take a stroll from the hotel and take in all the shops. Excellent diner/family restaurant down the block if you don't want to eat in the hotel restaurant. I would definitely stay here again if I had to travel to the Shippensburg area.

Room Tip: Our room was 408 and it was larger than the double I saw on the same floor right by the elevator.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank UkieFinnGirl
rebeccaheefner, Guest Relations Manager at Shippen Place Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit.
We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. It is our goal to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests. Please advise us of your trip and we will be more than happy to ensure you receive the highest level of service.
Thank you for your business, we look forward to your next stay.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Wow, I stayed here one night and felt more rejuvenated than at a spa. First, let me say, I spent the entire day unloading my son into Shippensburg University in the 98 degree heat. It was just the two of us up 5 flights of stairs for over 2 hours. After he was settled I checked in. Immediately the front desk clerk asked if I was here helping a child into the University and I replied yes. He quickly said he was going to upgrade my room at no cost and recommended room service. I went to the room, which was fabulous, and ordered room service. I had the calamari and a steak salad that was to die for. They also brought me a small bottle of chardonnay in a decanter that was just perfect. the towels were so soft and fluffy and the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. When I checked out I felt like a new woman. They were just as friendly at check out and even wished me and my son well. I left feeling very good and relieved that my son was attending school there. This place is great and I would recommend this place highly based on my stay. Thank you Shippens Place!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jodi B
rebeccaheefner, Guest Relations Manager at Shippen Place Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
We appreciate you giving your feedback about your experience. Thank you for sharing the details about your recent visit. We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. I am very glad to hear that you felt rejuvenated during your stay at our hotel. It is our goal to provide the best lodging experience to our valued guests. Your comments will be shared with our staff, thank you.
It was a pleasure to serve you, we hope to see you soon!
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We never miss a chance to watch the PA High School Track Championships on Memorial Day weekend, and we never miss the chance to stay at the Shippen Place Inn.. It's the epicenter of activity in town, & a great meeting spot for friends out on the patio.
We love the new Coffee bar too. Breakfast in the morning is a great way to charge us up for a fun day on campus!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
We are very pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience following your most recent visit with us. It's so nice to hear that you never miss the chance to stay at Shippen Place Hotel. I am so glad you love our new Coffee bar and our breakfast. Thank you for your business, we look forward to your next stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shippensburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Shippensburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chambersburg
Super 8 Chambersburg I-81
Super 8 Chambersburg I-81
#13 of 16 in Chambersburg

Been to Shippen Place Hotel? Share your experiences!