“An outstanding all-inclusive resort - the Pocono's Finest”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Skytop is one of the best of the old New England-style full service family resorts. We had a wonderful four-night stay in July, and I can't say enough about the resort and its staff. The rooms are old and somewhat dated, because it is a historic resort and is maintained as such. If you want a modern room, go stay at the Andaz in NYC. The older rooms fit the historic nature of the resort. Our room was small, but our kids had a larger room with two twin beds - a rarity at most resorts.

The food was outstanding. We met the chef one afternoon and had a chat about how he tries to source much of the food locally. He is a very personable chef, not one of the overbearing types you see on TV. I think that is reflected in the service of his staff. The menus had something for everyone, including vegetarians. Dinner was upscale, breakfast and lunch were more casual. The fish was always good, and I had one of the best duck dishes I have ever had.

The resort has so much to do, we only left the property once for horseback riding. We took the learn-to-shoot-skeet program for the family, and everyone hit at least one clay. This program is run by Orvis and is excellent. I just wish they also had a pistol range and pistol program. The lake is beautiful for boating, and the Orvis center has everything you need. We also did the stand-up paddleboards at the swim lake. What fun! The have beginner boards for the first-time user, which are more stable and easier to master. Then try the expert boards for a real workout of your core! The golf course is very nice. We also shot archery and learned how to lawn bowl. They had badminton, volleyball, pool workouts and fitness classes. If you have younger children, they have a great kids program and a wonder play area.

What stood out to us was the hiking and running trails. The trail around the lake is gorgeous, especially first thing in the morning. It is very level and worth two loops for a nice morning run. If you want more challenging, there are hill trails and some very rugged off-road trails. The resort has planned hikes with a leader. They are a nice way to get out, see nature and the streams, and get your exercise.

At night, the resort has different activities. Campfire sing-along one night, music in the main hall on other nights, and some very nice traditions. We went to the card room one night and played a board game for some family time. And unlike some New England resorts, you can get a drink at Skytop at dinner, in the bar or pool-side.

Could the rooms stand an update? Sure. But you won't be disappointed in the total experience at Skytop. I am certain we'll return for a second visit soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank FlaCrab
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear FlaCrab,

Thank you for your comments about your July four-night stay at Skytop. Skytop does seem to cover the gamut in relation to activities, great food and fun things to do. Skytop is a historical hotel – some 85-years old – that opened its doors to families in 1928. Through all of the dramatic changes in the world, our focus continues to be on taking care of our families. I always hear about Skytop’s introducing new activities and improving our guest accommodations, but still maintaining the traditions and civilities that have made Skytop such a great family place. There are so many things to do at Skytop as you mentioned, but I think one of the nicest aspects of Skytop is meeting with the entire family at the end of the day for an outstanding dining experience. I do believe that families enjoy the hospitality of our dining room and the extensive list of things to do on our property.

Thank you for your kind comments. I will be sure to share them with our staff. Have a great remainder of the summer. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

I was never a fan of the Pocono's until a friend told me about Skytop. The reviews on this site are very accurate. On the negative side, the rooms need updating, I doubt they have the $ to do so. We had a 13" TV in our room. Flat screen on the wall with pay preview movies would be a win/win especially on a rainning evening when you just need to unwind in your room after a day of outdoor activities. My son and I were there on a Mon-Wed in August. It was about 50% ocupied. Another negative is that I think they price themselves too high and no matter how they want to try and sell you on the meals included, all activities etc, it's still to high. Lastly, it would be nice to see some signs of security on the property.

On the plus side. My 9 yr old loved it! Every kid I saw on the property was having a blast. The staff, especially the bellhops/valet were amazing. Friendly and helpful. The food in the main lodge, part of the meal plan is top notch and so is the service.

The grounds and hotel are beautiful. My son caught a huge large mouth bass in the lake and they also have a seperate lake for swimming in addition to their indoor or outdoor pools.

I would recommend a visit before someplace as beautiful and special as Skytop is taken over by a Casino. The photos on their website are accurate. You are on top of a mountain and made to feel like a special guest. I was even impressed with the teenagers they hire. Very polite and they took their jobs seriously, especially the life guards at the swimming lake!

Room Tip: Ask for the largest room available. First time there, especially with kids I would stay in the Main...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Dear edman62,

Thank you for providing us with your comments regarding your recent stay at Skytop. I am delighted that you and your family had such a great stay at our resort. We are so fortunate to have such a wonderful staff. Skytop is so picturesque at this time of year – our gardens are in full bloom and it is particularly beautiful along our 30 miles of hiking trails and our fishing stream. It appears that all of our guests are having a wonderful time. I will be the first to admit that we do not have large flat screen TVs in our guest rooms but with all of the activities that we offer it seems that people have plenty to do throughout the day and night. This has actually been one of our busier Augusts, but with a property the size of Skytop it feels that you have the opportunity to enjoy it all to yourself. I am delighted that you found our food and beverage to be top notch and that your children had a blast at Skytop. I do hope you will pay us the honor of a return visit.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Wife and I had a very pleasant and relaxing two-night getaway at Skytop first week of August, 2012. Very expansive grounds offer large lake for fishing, kayaking, canoeing. Fishing stream for fly fishing, extensive array of hiking trails, and a great selection of activities (some included with the "all-inclusive" American plan). Great outdoors supply shop next to lake at the boat rental docks.

We stayed in the Inn King Room, which was rather large with a balcony overlooking the smaller "swimming" lake. Room was not 5-star, but very adequate. Also, had a gas fireplace, which will be nice to use when we return this Fall for the foliage color show.

Did not golf on the Skytop course, but the layout and location looks great. Will bring clubs next time. Pro shop located in the Inn had a great selection of equipment and golf-wear.

Finally, the food is included with the base American plan; 3 meals daily per person. Main restaurant options: Windsor located in main Lodge presented all three daily meals. Breakfast and lunch options were from table menu AND great buffet; mix and match. Food very good, as were the options. Dinner menu was extensive enough, and offerings were very well prepared and delicious. The service was exceptional! Dress code applies at the Windsor, and very grateful for it. In our opinion, a family sporting swim trunks and flip-flops in a high(er)-end restaurant can ruin a romantic dinner.

Restaurant at the Inn offered dinner as an option to the Windsor. We found the food a bit lacking, but the service was pleasant, as was the atmosphere. But, this is the "dress-down" restaurant for the resort, so there you go. Quite frankly, we will be selecting the Windsor option next time we visit.

All-in-all, we had a wonderful, comfortable, stay at the Skytop Lodge, and look forward to our return this Fall, and possibly this Winter for the snow wonderland. Best to our fellow travelers, and Bon Voyage!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JackKayPA
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear JackKayPA,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay. I appreciate you spending a two-night getaway at Skytop. We have been very fortunate to have spectacular weather this year. It has been a wonderful season for experiencing all of the many things to do at Skytop. There is nothing like a blue sky day with the bright sun and cool evenings to enjoy the stars. I can’t help but think that the fireplace in your room will be a great refuge for you when we cool down in the fall. In reference to dress at Skytop, we have diligently maintained our dress code over many years in the Windsor Dining Room. We have found that our guests do appreciate a semblance of civility in the dining room and it goes along with the many years of tradition of Skytop. But, because Skytop is such a great family destination, we also realize that people look for a more relaxed dress standard. We do have a dress code in the Inn dining room and I certainly hope that there were not people in there with bathing suits on. As always, Skytop’s many repeat guests enjoy the wonderful ambience of Skytop and we hope to see you back in the fall.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Our family of four (kids 13 and 10) spent four nights at Skytop in August 2012. This was our first trip to Skytop, which came with strong recommendations from this website (among others). We stayed in a King room at the Inn, which is newer than the Lodge, and the room was adequate for a family of four (although noisy with golf carts coming -- and backing up -- from early AM, and lacked a sensible place to hang wet beachwear to dry).

The "family fun" package promised all-inclusive activities, which we found to be somewhat misleading. There are several different categories of activities. Hiking was free, plentiful, and gorgeous, and the guide for several of our guided hikes was wonderful. The "activities desk" in the main Lodge provides free access to archery and other low-tech outdoor activities, but sign-up times fill quickly. Ping pong is free; pool is $1 per game. Bocce/lawn bowling is an extra charge. The "adventure center" offers the fabulous zip-line obstacle course, at a cost of $40 per person, kayaking for $20 per kayak per hour, and many other activities, all at an extra cost. The staff at the Adventure Center were fabulous, especially with our less-than-graceful participation in some of the more challenging activities. Bicycles are $14 per hour. These types of fairly basic activities I would have expected to be included free of charge in the "family fun" package.

Meals were included, which was fine for the adults, because the evening meal was quite elegant and the food was creative and excellent. However, the kids' dinner fare was buffet-style and nothing exciting, and breakfast and lunch for all were fairly basic. Given the cost of the room-and-board (which, with the 15% gratuity added and the kids-extra charge, came to nearly $900 per night for a family of four), I would have expected every possible activity to be included in the cost, and I would have expected a wider variety of meal options. I would also have expected a modest glass of wine per adult to be included in this cost. Instead, the cheapest wine was $10 per glass and $40 per bottle, with mixed drinks comparably priced, an extra that adds up fast.

The Lodge is beautiful, but faded. The enormous lobby is decorated beautifully, but all furniture desperately needs reupholstering. My daughter got a real kick out of one of the chairs, that sank nearly a foot every time she sat down. The restaurant was enormous and beautiful, and the waitstaff were all very pleasant (and apologetic when service was inexplicably slow one evening). Morning and night, for all the days we stayed, there was an inexplicable odor (rancid grease is my best description) as we walked downstairs toward the Tea Room which serves milkshakes and light sandwich fare. Restrooms throughout the Lodge also showed their age. The Inn is newer, catering mainly to the golf set, but the restaurant there was closed for our entire visit.

The kids had a fabulous trip. They loved every minute of every activity. Us adults had a fine time too, but by choice it was not among the most relaxing vacations we've ever had. While we may return, we're also likely to use this experience as a model for trying a similar destination resort next time.

Room Tip: If you stay at the Inn, ask for a room over the lake. Over the entrance, the back-up warnings from...
2  Thank JerseyFour08053

Dear JerseyFour08053,

Thank you for providing me with your comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop Lodge. I am delighted that your family had such a wonderful experience. Skytop is a great family destination resort and we do include many of our activities in our family fun package. I will be sure to pass along to our dining room and kitchen staff your kind comments about service and food preparation. I will also address the slow service that you experienced one night during your stay. In relation to kids’ meals, we have experimented with many different types of service, but it seems that the kids’ buffet is the most popular. It is easy for kids to serve themselves or be served and does provide a variety of good nutritious offerings. This quick service for children provides parents with time to remain in the dining room for an extra glass of wine.

Thank you very much for your comments. I would be very interested in hearing your experiences at other resorts similar to Skytop. Please do not hesitate to give me a call on your next visit.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

There is lots to like here..the history, the main bldg, the grounds, the beach, the lake, and the family activities. But please don't confuse this place like I did when booking for a luxury resort. The rooms feel more like a Ramada or Holiday Inn...thin sheets, cheap towels, and I would say pretty run down rooms in general across the board-at the Inn, the cottages and the main lodge. . No robes, TINY bathrooms...thin walls. So this then makes the 650 PLUS dollars a a night per room PLUS another 45 per night per child...not a good value...add in fixed gratuity/taxses..and two nights with 2 children all inclusvie of meals and activities runs around $ 1800. So, for that, I would expect LUXURY or at leasat a 4-5 star experience..and this was more like a 3 star. First what they do well-the diningroom experience was fun...fancy and the service was great. Jeff and Ommie are terrific as are the GMs of the diningroom. The food...our first night was really great, our second night, not even close. However, it's festive and it works. Breakfast/lunch is basic fare. Dancing after dinner to a real band was FUN and children and adults join in....During dinner, the children can go downstairs and play pingpong or Mini golf or the arcade...and it all feesl safe. During the day there is biking, boating, fishing, hiking...etc etc....the pool is great..the beach totally fun. This is what they do well. What I would do if this was my hotel-REVAMP the rooms...get rid of the cheap trims, tacky borders, cheap rugs and replace the linens/pillows/towels. Put robes in closet and slippers. Modernize the basement and get fans for the restaurant down there...smells BAD and whole basement smells like grease. What I would also do is revamp the first desk..folks that are great there are Jason who actually KNOWS what he is doing and Janet..a gem....Shannon is I think in charge and is totally inept. BUT, to their defense..they are handling SO many people EVERY Day....at a tiny counter...it is insane...rebuild that and give them more space to meet and greet people. The front door guys are great..but if you are not staying in the lodge..you will have to unload your car and pack it up yourself....NOT FIVE STAR. Also on a pouring rain day, the front bell staff didn't have an umbrella and said there is one in your room. That only helps if you brough tit with you when it was sunny 2 hours earlier. Also, you need to check Skytops calendar when you book becuase Skytop is now a HUGE HUGE wedding/conference factory.There were 2 or 3 weddings when we were there and a major Convention coming in when we were leaving. A major pharamaceutical company was taking over the entire place...can you imagine if you were staying there and surrounded by mid level mgrs..YUCK...so...make sure when you book. The wedding parties dominate the lobby and porches and grounds during the weekend and it is sort of interesting..a true mixing of the classess.....and call me a snob..but I wasn't expecting bare shirted, beer drinking, tatooed folks hanging out on around the property..but I think they were members of the wedding party??? So all in all, I wanted to love it, I think the family time we had was fun..but man it just wasn't worth almost 2 thousands dollars for the weekend...for the accommodations or the food. But, it was an experience. P.S. If you golf don't get your hopes up..MARGINAL Golf Course.

4  Thank VacayStay
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear VacayStay,

Thank you for providing me with your comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. I recognize that Skytop is not an inexpensive resort destination. However, I do feel that Skytop offers an incredible value for the dollar. Our facilities, activities, meals, dancing, and other available activities that you participated do add up to a fun-filled stay, as you mentioned. I am delighted that so many of our staff, including our dining room, bellmen, reservationists, activities, dining room managers, front office, and so many of our other staff, were able to provide you with excellent service. Please accept my apologies for the inattentive service provided by Sharon. I will certainly discuss this with her. Also, please accept my apologies for running out of umbrellas on the front porch. We did have an extraordinary run on umbrellas during that rain shower. I am also sorry that you did not enjoy our four and half star rated golf course. It is consistently ranked as one of the top golf experiences in the Poconos. I think the course itself offers magnificent views and is a true mountain golf course. I do hope that you will pay us a visit again and should you choose to stay at Skytop please give me a call before your next stay. I would like to make sure that your experience is an outstanding one. Have a great remainder of the summer and hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

We just returned from a week at Skytop Lodge and enjoyed the Streamside cottages. We had four families meet and stay at the lodge for a week with children ranging from 3 to 9 and everyone had a lot of fun. There is plenty to do for adults and children and the camp offering by the lodge is very good. We used a meal plan for the week and had the same table every day. The food is very good and the service, especially by Fernando, was excellent. The cottage rooms were nice but a little worn which is understandable because the entire property is high-turnover due to the size. The work-out room is adequate but could use a serious overhaul and better view instead of a basement room with no windows. Pools were clean and fun and the swimming hole was a lot of fun as well. The front desk check-in experience is a little crowded since the space is small and located next to the bellman stand/room. The check-in and check-out process is slow so give yourself time for this. The property is beautiful and the walking trails were great. I highly recommend the property I have been in the international luxury hotel business for most of my life and I think this Lodge is well run and offers plenty to do for families and couples.

2  Thank PMM12

Dear PMM12,

Thank you for providing your comments in relation to your recent stay. Skytop is indeed a great resort destination. We do offer such a wonderful guest experience by a staff that is truly caring. I will be sure to pass along to Fernando your kind comments as well as to our entire staff. We spend a considerable amount of time and energy in renovating our guest rooms and public areas each year. At the end of this year we expect to start renovating our cottages to enlarge the bathrooms. Keeping up with our 85-year old lady is a challenge but we seem to be doing a pretty good job of it.

I hope that we can welcome you back again next year. Thank you for your comments and see you soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Our experience was amasing.Our 10 years old son did not want to leave. There are so much activities for adults and kids.Staff are so pleasant and polite. It is
so much beter then cruise which we took last year. We definetly will be back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lana11234
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Dear Lana11234,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted that your 10-year old son had such a wonderful stay. As you note, not only is there so much to do for children but tons of activities for adults. I take particular pride in our staff who have dedicated themselves to providing caring service for our guests. The relationship between our guests and our longtime staff is amazing. On your return visit please stop by to say hello. I would love to welcome you back to Skytop.

Have a wonderful summer and see you soon.

President & General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!