“Very Relaxing Overnight”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I purchased a Travelzoo voucher for one night. I would have preferred a Saturday night (in October weekends were allowed) but was told they were sold out every weekend in October. I'm not sure if this was because I was using a voucher. The reservation process was somewhat annoying. When I called I got a recording asking to leave your name and number. I did get a return call back but missed the call. I then had to call back and again leave my name and number. It was impossible to talk to a person but finally did connect when they returned my call a second time. He was very friendly, helpful and professional.

The location of the resort is amazing. We had beautiful fall weather and loved being outside enjoying the magnificant grounds. The lodge is well kept and felt very updated. The gardens were gorgeous with fall and summer flowers. Almost every staff member we encountered was very friendly and professional.

Check in was fine and our room was ready early. Since it was our first time there, it would have been helpful for them to better explain how things work at check in. We felt it was somewhat confusing to get acquainted with the Inn and we had to ask about meals, activities, etc. The room was small and the bathroom really, really small, although the room and bathroom were immaculate and fit our needs. The mattress appeared new and was comfortable but the furnishings were older. Our only complaint was the AC. The unit turned on, what seemed to be about every 20 minutes, and kept us awake. The AC really needs to be modernized, although efficient, very noisy.

The Dining Room and meals exceeded our expectations. We arrived in time for Sunday brunch and it compared to any really nice bruch at a fine restaurant. The service was excellent and friendly and worked hard to please. Other meals were very good. We had no problem with the jacket requirement (it was nice to get "dressed" for dinner). We were able to get a dinner reservation exactly at the time we preferred.

We did a lot of walking around the resort and did hike on one of the many trails to a fall. Also walked around the lake several times. We did not take advantage of the many activities they offer but there are many. Next time I would like to do more. We enjoyed sitting on the beautiful porch looking out to the mountains and gardens. It was really wonderful sitting there with a glass of wine. There is a nice indoor pool but we didn't bring bathing suits, which we regreted. There was a wedding taking place on late Sunday afternoon in the main garden. The cocktail hour took place on the porch so it felt a little invading of our space but we understand this appears to be a popular site for weddings and the porch is a perfect location for this.

Overall we loved the resort and the "feel" of the mountain lodge and plan on returning. Our voucher was a great deal but next time I would hope that the resort may modernize the rooms. I feel this would be more appealing but it's not a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Our room looked out to the gardens/mountains. Other side looked out to lake. Both seemed equally n...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Michelle Anne,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit.

Our team strives to preserve Skytop’s historic charm and natural beauty while providing our guests with world-class service. I will be sure to share your comments with them. They will be glad to know that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

Vice President & General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed 26 October 2013

If a person gets bored at Skytop they are just not trying. There is every activity imaginable on their 5,500 acres. Although my wife and I went to celebrate our anniversary I see it as a perfect place for a healthy family vacation!

Room Tip: We stayed at the streamside cottages and loved it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear TomP05,

Thank you for sharing feedback with respect to your recent stay. I’m pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit and that we met and exceeded your expectations. Skytop offers an array of activities, provided by a team of employees who consistently provide our guests with world-class service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Was there during the summer on a travelzoo voucher for 2 nights. It was our first trip with our baby, and liked the idea of having something close and all inclusive to make our trip a little easier.
The room was fine, but nothing to right home about. Definitely older everything...the AC unit had a bit of dust that made my wife sneeze a bit. We had requested a minifridge for our baby's milk, and it was there when we arrived, although, definitely a dated. same goes for tv, bathroom, furniture, etc.etc. That said, it was comfortable and we had ample space for our pack & play in the room.
The food, again, was fine...but the meal times were very strict and difficult to make sometimes because of the baby. Definitely something we didn't expect when going in. With the strict meal times, we often felt rushed and had to go hungry one morning.... and the whole jacket requirement thing was just trying too hard... Really? I understand wanting to keep some semblance of proper atire, but jackets are a bit much, especially in the middle of summer.
Things to do.... well, having a small baby really limited us. We spent time in the pool.....though we ended up carrying her in the real pool because the baby pool had lots of stuff in the pool..dirt, dead bugs, etc. Tried taking a walk around the lake, but we forgot our bug spray and promptly went back.

Overall, nice comfortable place, but probably not worth another visit for us.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Matt K

Dear Matt K,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with respect to your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations with your guest room and dining experience. I shared your comments with our team and they are dismayed that we did not accomplish our mission of providing world-class service.

Please contact me at (570) 595-8909 to discuss your visit. I welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence in Skytop.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We got together with several close friends (each including two to three generations) to spend 2 nights/3 days over a weekend; this was during heat wave in July that did not spare Skytop (temps hovered around 90); despite we all had a great time. Biggest disappointments: antiquated check in system, especially clashing with a wedding; long lines to get to the desk with no choice but to wait for rooms to be ready; Skytop needs to get its act together for check in check outs! I suppose it is a risk at any resort but we were there while there was a large wedding group which pretty much coopted the porch and balcony area in the main lodge. Otherwise, we stayed in one of the 4 room lodges overlooking the fairways; 5 minute walk to the main building but we liked the space, especially since our two families took over the entire building. Meals were excellent as was staff and service at the dining room. Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank patsandsox

Dear patsandsox,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.
Please accept my sincere apologies with respect to your experience at check-in and check-out. We have addressed this issue with our Front Desk, Reservations and Housekeeping teams to ensure that our processes are revised and streamlined.

I hope to welcome you back to Skytop again soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We just came back from a wonderful two days at Skytop. The food was great, the service was very good. The location is beautiful, with amazing views and wonderful grounds. We went for a quiet few days alone as a birthday present from my husband to me. He scheduled a Swedish massage, which was one of the best I have had in a while. He also got the romance package, which included roses, champagne and chocolate covered strawberries-I felt pampered! Our meals were in the main dining room and dinner is jackets for men and nicely dressed for women. It was nice to get a bit formal for dinner. We played some golf and walked on trails, it was a relaxing few days and I would recommend it!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Amy F,

Thank you for sharing feedback in relation to your recent stay. Our grounds crew works hard to preserve and maintain Skytop’s grounds in top condition. Thank you for the kind comments about your spa and dining experience. Skytop strives to maintain a level of world-class service throughout our guests’ stay, from the welcome by our bellmen to the friendly check-out at our front desk.

I will share your comments with our team. They will be pleased to know you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Accepted a coupon offer for two nights, all meals, for two people. Immense grounds, reasonably we'll kept. Breakfasts were served or buffet, with an omelet bar, substantial offerings, in a dining area with (?)
80 tables, plus an attached dining area nearly as large. Service was pleas ant and satisfactory. Both Friday and Saturday dinners had beef entrees,
which were cooked perfectly and very tasty. This is a resort offering any number of activities, including shooting, boating and fishing. The room we had was adequate and comfortable. Park your car, or they would park it.
The experience favorably reminded me of a mid level cruise ship. We spent a satisfactory 2 1/2 days there; it was a pleasant sojourn, and we would recommend it...but not without the coupon !

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PJPILOT
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband and I booked a package at the Streamside Cottages at Skytop Lodge via Jetsetter to celebrate our anniversary over the last weekend in September. Prior to our trip I read some negative reviews that had me a little nervous about what to expect upon arrival and because of this I spent the week prior trying to confirm our reservation. After spending an entire afternoon on the phone trying to contact the reservation department I was given a very vague answer regarding our accommodations. "Yes, we have your reservation. No, I can not tell if it is in a streamside cottage" This was a red flag, but I figured we would deal with any issues upon arrival.

Sure enough, upon check in we were told that the streamside cottages were full and we would be staying in a standard cottage. This would have been fine had we not booked based on the fact that we wanted to stay in these particular accommodations and not to mention upon further questioning the front desk clerk admitted to my husband that the Lodge was overselling these cottages and asking the staff to explain that streamside cottages and cottages are 'the same thing'. No, they are not. So basically, (according to this particular employee anyway) the staff was being asked to lie in order to put bodies in the rooms.

Luckily, my husband drives a hard bargain and was not about to be appeased with an offer to be upgraded to a suite in the lodge for the weekend. To be clear, we were most upset that we felt we were being manipulated by the reservation department that was intentionally overbooking rooms and lying to their customers in order to maximize their profit. The cottage that we were provided was fine, just not what we booked or paid for.

In the end, the reservation manager, Jason, was very very accommodating regarding our expectations and disappointment. The fact that he made sure that we were pleased with our stay at the Skytop despite the lodging issues really made a huge impression on us. It was the difference between having an enjoyable weekend with hopes of returning soon or being disappointed and not recommending the place to anyone.

After the initial issues were resolved we had a fantastic time. We stayed in a standard cottage, that while not large, was comfortable and pleasant. We really enjoyed "dressing" for dinner, the Saturday evening festivities, and walking the grounds. It is truly a beautiful old place.

My advice for anyone visiting via a third party website would be to confirm your reservation ahead of time, do not allow them to shuffle you into a situation that you did not pay for and demand excellent customer service. It worked for us and we could not have had a better time. We hope to return to Skytop soon!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JezzaKezza78

Dear JezzaKezza78,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your visit.

Please accept my apologies with respect to the issues you experienced upon check-in. I am happy that we were able to remedy the situation to your satisfaction. Jason and our entire team at Skytop strive to provide first-rate service to our guests. I will be sure to share your kind comments with them.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop.

Vice President & General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Pocono Palace Resort
Pocono Palace Resort
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
The Lodge at Woodloch

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!