“Good stay overall, some problems”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good stay overall, some problems”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We happened to get a great deal through Expedia ($160 before fees/taxes a night w/ all meals included) when we stayed here in September earlier this year. I may have given it 3 to 3.5 stars instead if I had paid more for my room. I would've expected more polish overall in their services (the staff was friendly, but things could’ve run more smoothly there), more spacious rooms, and more added services. We had gotten three rooms in the lodge. One of them was a corner room so that had more space, but there was hardly anywhere to move in the other two rooms. As other reviewers have commented, some things like smores for the bonfire at night and canoe rental on the lake should be included if you're staying there. Also, you don’t need to tip because a 15% service charge is added on for everything.

Check-in was not a smooth process. When we first checked in, they tried to tell me that meals weren’t included with my room and I had to show them my Expedia reservation. Since we booked through Expedia, the front desk said their system was having a hard time processing it. I had also emailed them over a month ahead of time requesting three rooms next to each other since we were traveling with two young children. I had to email again because no replied after a week. Upon arrival, they had two rooms next to each other and another room way down the hall. After I complained, they were able to do some rearranging to fit our needs.

With all that said, we enjoyed all the activities on site. It was very convenient to hang out in the back with the playground (perfect for my 1 and 4-year-old), badminton, archery, lawn bowling, putting green, etc. We went on a scenic hike one morning, which led to a large waterfall. We canoed on the lake and my oldest took a kids’ fishing class. We tried to do the bonfire one night at 8:30, but a group had reserved it. We finally found out that it moved to the front. By 9, a small group had gathered, but no one had started the fire yet. Inside, there’s a rec room area downstairs with ping pong tables, mini golf and some video games. Some of us did the adventure course with the zip lining ($40 per person for the 3 hour course). That was a lot of fun!

Overall, we were happy with the food. We didn’t have any problems with options for the two kids. At breakfast, there was omelet station, fruit, pastries, scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, French toast, etc. Lunchtime dishes were just ok, but there was a good selection. Dinner time was a nice 4 course meal where you could choose one from 3-4 options under each category. It was a longer dinner, but there was never a delay between courses. The kids had a buffet, which included pizza, mac ‘n cheese, a vegetable, and fries.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear chloe-tine,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies with respect to your experience at check-in. We have addressed this issue with our Front Desk and Reservations teams to ensure that our processes are revised and streamlined.

I hope to welcome you back to Skytop again soon.

Vice President & General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Polish first
Wayne, NJ
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Recently stayed at Skytop in the cottages. The lodge is nice but like others stated, it is dated. If you enjoy cruising, this is a good option. The bathroom was small and not luxorious. The furnishings in the room were OK, but also dated.

As far as activities, they have options for everyone. The had hayrides, camp fires, hiking, bingo, golf and more. We did enjoy our 2 mile hike with the naturalist and learned a lot about the grounds and surrounding area.

As far as the meals included, they were good. The lodge serves a hot buffet during breakfast and lunch. We did find the prices for alchol to be on the high side, but when you are traveling you do expect to pay more. We purchased our stay thru Travelzoo so it was discounted. If you were paying full price, you may be disappointed.

Overall, a nice place for a weekend getaway. Park the car and enjoy the grounds.

Room Tip: Cottage rooms are not attached to the main lodge. If you don't want to walk or take the shuttle...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Luv2TravWayne_NJ,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent stay. I’m glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and we met and exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding our activities and food. Skytop offers a variety of activities for each family member to enjoy. I shared your comments with my team today and they were pleased that you enjoyed your visit.

Skytop is a world class family destination. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We just spent a wonderful and relaxing weekend at Skytop. We had Travelzoo vouchers and this was a truly excellent value. Our King room was large and comfortable. The only downside was the noise from the guests in the next room when they came in very late at night. This was a minor disturbance, but better soundproofing would have been nice.

The spa was terrific, as was a nature walk with the resort's naturalist, Rick. He was incredibly knowledgeable and we really enjoyed our hike with him. There was many other activities to enjoy, even though fall is pretty much off-season.

We were on the American Meal Plan and the food was extremely good. The dining room staff was highly professional. Also, at various times of the day there were complimentary refreshments offered, including amazing home-baked cookies.

Another reviewer claimed the people at the desk weren't friendly, but in our experience they were perfectly pleasant. At no time did we feel like "second class citizens" because we had the vouchers. We would definitely return to Skytop!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anita B
Dear AnitaJB,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent stay. I’m glad that you enjoyed your visit and that we met and exceeded your expectations.

As you pointed out, our Full American Plan offers a great value as it includes accommodations and three meals a day as well as afternoon tea and cookies. I agree that our team is friendly and dedicated to providing our guests with world-class service. I shared your kind comments with them this morning and they were pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop.

herbyale@yahoo.com
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Went to the Skytop Lodge for a family wedding a few weeks ago. They call the hotel historic--while the grounds are beautiful, the hotel interior is actually quite old and tired. The room my wife and I were given had old, old carpet, was small, had an old tv and lacked amenities that you get at most hotels (Kleenex, coffeemaker, water). The bathroom was small and had not been updated in who knows how many years. The hotel is quite expensive, but doesn't deserve what it charges--I guess it's resting on its past reputation. The hotel's procedures also need an updating. We got to the hotel a little after 12 on the Saturday of the wedding, which was to start at 4:45. We were told our room wasn't ready yet and that there standard check-in time was 4pm (pretty incredible and poor for these times). We checked back a few times and didn't get into our room until 3:15. The hotel's lobby while pretty spacious had very old carpeting and furniture. My wife, my sisters and I couldn't wait to leave this place. I would never go back. If your readers want to go to a hotel from the 1950's , this is the place for them. But it's not really a historic hotel, it's just very old and very tired.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Trip-Review01
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Trip-Review01,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent stay.

I am dismayed that we were not able to meet your expectations. However, I must disagree with your assessment of our lodging and amenities. Skytop is steeped with great history and countless activities for all ages. We are also fortunate to have amazing employees focused on genuine service in a historic resort.

I would like to speak with you to discuss your stay. Please contact me at (570) 595-8909 at your convenience.

I trust that we will be able to regain your confidence in Skytop.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We bought a travel zoo voucher as well. I didn't feel welcomed by reception. Our room was tight, slightly outdated, and there wasn't enough space to accommodate our family or even walk around the room when we made the reservation back in June. Sadly, we realized after we got back to the room from dinner and had to wait an hour for an extra bed. With this being said, I was pleasantly surprised about the rest of our visit. I felt there is plenty to do while there: archery, lake, swimming (pool and lake), playground, crochet, volleyball, horseshoe, to name a few. There was also a petting zoo happening that weekend, which the kids enjoyed. I was also pleasantly surprised by the food selection, quality, and it's freshness. There were omelette, pasta, and sandwich stations. The dessert selection was above average! There is a casual and and a dressy option for dinner. Our vacation, minus baby and Patrick Swayze, felt very much like the grounds at Dirty Dancing!

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank gsanchez_12
Dear gsanchez_12,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent stay. I’m glad that overall you enjoyed your visit.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the conditions in your room. This certainly does not represent Skytop’s standard of quality. We will take your feedback into consideration of future redesign of our guest rooms.

Thank you for your comments. I hope to welcome you back to Skytop.

Hainesport, NJ
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I purchased a Travelzoo voucher for one night. I would have preferred a Saturday night (in October weekends were allowed) but was told they were sold out every weekend in October. I'm not sure if this was because I was using a voucher. The reservation process was somewhat annoying. When I called I got a recording asking to leave your name and number. I did get a return call back but missed the call. I then had to call back and again leave my name and number. It was impossible to talk to a person but finally did connect when they returned my call a second time. He was very friendly, helpful and professional.

The location of the resort is amazing. We had beautiful fall weather and loved being outside enjoying the magnificant grounds. The lodge is well kept and felt very updated. The gardens were gorgeous with fall and summer flowers. Almost every staff member we encountered was very friendly and professional.

Check in was fine and our room was ready early. Since it was our first time there, it would have been helpful for them to better explain how things work at check in. We felt it was somewhat confusing to get acquainted with the Inn and we had to ask about meals, activities, etc. The room was small and the bathroom really, really small, although the room and bathroom were immaculate and fit our needs. The mattress appeared new and was comfortable but the furnishings were older. Our only complaint was the AC. The unit turned on, what seemed to be about every 20 minutes, and kept us awake. The AC really needs to be modernized, although efficient, very noisy.

The Dining Room and meals exceeded our expectations. We arrived in time for Sunday brunch and it compared to any really nice bruch at a fine restaurant. The service was excellent and friendly and worked hard to please. Other meals were very good. We had no problem with the jacket requirement (it was nice to get "dressed" for dinner). We were able to get a dinner reservation exactly at the time we preferred.

We did a lot of walking around the resort and did hike on one of the many trails to a fall. Also walked around the lake several times. We did not take advantage of the many activities they offer but there are many. Next time I would like to do more. We enjoyed sitting on the beautiful porch looking out to the mountains and gardens. It was really wonderful sitting there with a glass of wine. There is a nice indoor pool but we didn't bring bathing suits, which we regreted. There was a wedding taking place on late Sunday afternoon in the main garden. The cocktail hour took place on the porch so it felt a little invading of our space but we understand this appears to be a popular site for weddings and the porch is a perfect location for this.

Overall we loved the resort and the "feel" of the mountain lodge and plan on returning. Our voucher was a great deal but next time I would hope that the resort may modernize the rooms. I feel this would be more appealing but it's not a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Our room looked out to the gardens/mountains. Other side looked out to lake. Both seemed equally n...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Michelle Anne,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit.

Our team strives to preserve Skytop’s historic charm and natural beauty while providing our guests with world-class service. I will be sure to share your comments with them. They will be glad to know that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

Narrowsburg, New York
Reviewed 26 October 2013

If a person gets bored at Skytop they are just not trying. There is every activity imaginable on their 5,500 acres. Although my wife and I went to celebrate our anniversary I see it as a perfect place for a healthy family vacation!

Room Tip: We stayed at the streamside cottages and loved it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear TomP05,

Thank you for sharing feedback with respect to your recent stay. I’m pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit and that we met and exceeded your expectations. Skytop offers an array of activities, provided by a team of employees who consistently provide our guests with world-class service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop.

Vice President & General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
The Lodge at Woodloch

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!