“Everything I wanted - and more”
Review of Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My wife and I (who are in early 40's) just got back from a 2 night / 3 day stay at Skytop. I could not have had a better experience. About this reviewer: I have been to upscale resorts such as Half Moon in Jamaica, Ritz Carlton in Naples, and Elbow Beach Bermuda. I've also been to various Club Meds and Sandals, as well as Motel 6's on the highway - in other words, I've been to all types of places. I am a well off professional from the tri-state NY area who lives in an upscale suburb (think Millburn, Summit, Scarsdale, etc). I also have two kids who were not with us this weekend (which was August 2014). What my wife and I were looking for was a nice place in the mountains away from the hustle and bustle. We also wanted a place where if we chose to, we could be somewhat active. We did not want the Ritz Carlton. We wanted "charm." Well Skytop really did fit the bill. First off, the place is physically beautiful. There is an old "lodge" where many of the rooms are. It's also where the main dining room, game room, pool, etc. are located. As some of the reviewers have pointed out, the lodge is old. But that's what gives it such charm. Could it have been a little bit more freshened and updated? Yes. But then it would be a different place. The property itself is massive. I can't fathom the acreage. There is a golf course that winds around the grounds, a soccer field, plenty of estate like areas with trees and chairs to just sit back and enjoy the surroundings, and a beautiful lake for boating, canoeing, etc. There are also hiking trails that seem out of proportion (in a good way) for any single hotel. Essentially, you can stay there for two and a half days (as we did) and not hike all the trails because they are so plentiful. Personally, I generally prefer tennis and golf to hiking, but these trails were fantastic. Truly a pleasure to walk them with your spouse, significant other or entire family. There are also, separate from the main lodge, small cottages that are divided up between 4 families. We stayed in one of the cottages. They are maybe 100 yards from the lodge. For us, the cottages were perfect. Again, they are not the Ritz Carlton. If you care about having the most upscale room or the freshest looking carpet, this is not the place for you. But then it would make no sense to go to the mountains! While we were there my wife got a massage and I played tennis. My wife claims that the spa itself (in the main lodge) could use a little updating, but that the actual massage was fine and somewhat reasonably priced as far as massages go (I have no clue what they generally go for). My tennis lesson was actually worth writing about. I read some reviews on this site before booking, and a few of them said nice things about "Moe" the tennis instructor. I am a decent (3.5 / 4.0) player and have had some lessons before. Well "Moe" (whose name is actually Mohesh Koregaokar), gave me the best tennis lesson of my life. If you google him you will see that he has worked as a coach for Andy Roddick and the Williams sisters. Who knows what he is doing at Skytop (I won't share the story he told me - nothing too exciting though), but I can't imagine that there are better pros at a similar type hotel. As for the cost of the hotel itself, we opted for the "Family Fun" package, which is essentially the all inclusive - 3 meals a day and the basic activities (excluding golf, private tennis lessons, massages, etc). Moral - it is not cheap. But, while doing my quick research for this trip, I found it cheaper than other somewhat comparable places such as Woodloch Pines (which Skytop blows away in my opinion) and Mohonk Mountain resort (have not been there). But with the price comes a nice crowd. I would describe the crowd as very Waspy and middle American (in a good way). They were all pretty clean cut and well mannered. No loudmouth New Yorkers on cell phones (these are the people I work with so I know them well). And clearly no one came from poverty. People were from all over. Lots from PA, some from Ohio, and of course NY and NJ. If you get the all inclusive, you generally eat in the main dining room (the Windsor room). Breakfast and lunch are buffet style, while dinner was off the menu (which changed each night, and had a chicken, meat, fish, vegetarian, etc.). And yes, YOU MUST WEAR A JACKET TO DINNER! It seemed a bit silly to me, but once I got there it seemed kind of nice. The food was fine. Certainly not four star dining, but better than I thought it would be. The wait staff was nice as well. They actually put you at the same table for every meal, so you may get the same waiter for said meals. We had a very nice and competent waiter named Sergei (from where else, Russia). He was fantastic as a waiter, and also very knowledgeable with respect to the entire hotel. There were a few negatives with the resort. First, the website stinks. Second, I had a tough time communicating with the resort beforehand. I tried to call the restaurant to book dinner in advance to no avail. Same with my wife and the massage. We're still waiting for the callback. But those were mere glitches in an otherwise great stay. Also, I found Skytop via a random internet search. As I previously mentioned, the website is not so great, and as such, I think they do themselves an injustice as far as advertising how great the place really is. Other things that I cannot comment on are the golf (did not play) or the actual rooms in the main lodge (as we stayed in the cottage). My guess is that the rooms in the main hotel would be old. But to me, the idea is to sleep in the rooms and be out during the day. I also can't comment on whether I would want to bring my kids there. My guess would be yes if they are very young, yes if they are old enough to be self sufficient (so they can just do their own thing) and maybe if they are between 7-12. The 7-12 set may get a bit bored, and may prevent the parents from doing some of the things that they might want to do themselves. We also got very lucky with the weather. We had three sunny days. On a side note, because you are in the mountains, it can be high 50's at night and early AM, and then 80 during the day. That's what it was for us and we loved it. My guess is that if the weather was lousy, our trip would have been lousy as well. But that's the same as any other trip where the idea is to be outdoors. So overall we found Skytop to be very charming, relaxing and totally enjoyable. To sum it up I would say that If you enjoy being outside in a physically beautiful setting, and don't mind that it's a bit "old," then Skytop is as good as it gets.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank dne1969
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2014

Dear dne1969,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay and that our accommodations and service exceeded your expectations. Skytop is an ideal destination for a relaxing getaway. We offer countless activities in a historic lodge surrounded by natural beauty.

I look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

My family and I visited Skytop Lodge in August. The lodge had been recommended by friends and it lived up to the strong recommendation. The staff is outstanding -- both friendly and helpful. The facility is grand and well-maintained. And, for a family vacation it is a great choice due to its multiple opportunities for family fun.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank MichaelSNJ

Dear MichaelSNJ,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our staff to provide excellent service. Our team is certainly Skytop’s best asset and they will be pleased to know that they helped to make your stay even more memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

When we arrived the door man and bell man were helpful. The front desk did not inform us about an issue with the hot water not working and they did not tell us when breakfast was the next day or how to order anything. The room also had no information on this so we missed breakfast the first day

Our room had no hot water the first night. Our room had fruit flies. We had a fridge that was over heating. The maint guy replaced it at 11:30PM while our 4 month old child was trying to sleep. Also, the TV is from the 90s.

We will never go back and are still considering disputing the charge on the credit card. Seriously ridiculous to pay $300/night for this. We would have been more comfortable at a $49/night place down the road.

Room Tip: The rooms have tvs from the 90s. Refrigerators cost extra. No microwaves. Very small for the price
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
12  Thank Michael Z

Dear Michael Z,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. This does not represent Skytop’s normal level of service. We have addressed the issues you mentioned with our front desk team to ensure that information is appropriately communicated to our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Skytop.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I did not stay at the hotel but went ziplining with my 14 year old daughter today and we had an awsome time. The worker, Mike was excellent. Very patient and knowledgeable. Highly recommend it but be ready for more than just ziplining. It is like an obstacle course in the trees. Felt extemely safe even though you are so high up.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank PokNYC

Dear PokNYC,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. The Treetop Course is an exciting and fun experience. I agree that Mike is an excellent Adventure Center guide. I shared your kind words with him and our entire team and they are pleased that you enjoyed your Skytop adventure.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

The staff in the dining room went out of their way to take good care of us, especially Antonia! We got the family fun package so we had access to all activities. My daughter caught 29 fish in one weekend and we all enjoyed the hike to the waterfalls. The kids also loved the nightly campfires and swimming in the pool after dinner.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Selgrade-Palomba

Dear Selgrade-Palomba,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our Family Fun package offers a great value, as it includes accommodations, three meals daily and access to Skytop’s seasonal recreational activities. I shared your kind comments with Antonia and our entire team – they are glad to know you had a memorable visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

There's a lot to like at Skytop. The grounds are beautiful. The golf course is amazing. There is no shortage of activities to do. However, I'm reviewing the hotel stay itself, not the surrounding amenities.

There were multiple issues with my family's reservations. The staff was nice to borderline exceptional in dealing with it, but it didn't change the fact that there were problems. The room itself was good-sized. However, I have an issue with any hotel having a TV/VCR combo in this day and age. The bed was brutal. Exceptionally hard. I didn't tear it apart to see for certain, but with the way it slept, my king bed was almost assuredly two twins pushed together. This led to a massive gap in the center. The fridge ($15 extra/night) was straight from 1982 and was very small. The size was good though and the staff pulled this up to acceptable.

We ate three meals daily in the dining room as part of our stay. Its incredibly overrated and overpriced. My wife ordered the scallop entree for dinner our first night. It was three medium-sized scallops with a bed of minute rice and two asparagus strands. Not exactly what I was paying for. The breakfast was largely cereal/yogurt/etc. There are other options there, but the lines were prohibitive to staying. The kids bar was a hit, though. Nightly chicken tenders, mac and cheese, etc. Kids LOVED it.

I thought we were getting a resort stay. It was a below-average hotel with plus-amenities and a good staff. The surrounding features were great, but the nuts and bolts of the stay were very subpar. I think you can do better for your money.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank log1324

Dear log1324,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your stay. We will take your comments into consideration of the upcoming refresh our guest rooms and common areas. Additionally, we have addressed the food and beverage issues you mentioned with our culinary team to ensure that our menu selections meet Skytop’s standard of quality.

We hope to welcome you back to Skytop soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

It was a family wedding that brought me to the Skytop. While the grounds are lovely, that is where it begins and ends. Room rates are ridiculously high even with the special wedding rate. You have to pay a service charge on top of the rate and tax which was never mentioned to me upon making the reservation. When first placing the reservation a few months before the wedding it took seven days for someone to call me back. And when the reservation was finally in place, or so I thought, the email confirmation had the wrong dates. It was a fiasco to get it fixed and took several emails back and forth. I think the staff is inept, especially the front desk. The food and drink prices in the restaurants are higher than a great restaurant in New York City. The food was passable but not memorable. The rooms in the lodge are very small and very, very old. I think my mattress was made of rocks. Stayed for two nights and could not wait to leave. I will never return to the Skytop. If another family member has a wedding there, I will definitely stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Bring your own mattress and pillows. Theirs are awful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank Jo Ann F
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Jo Ann F,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in communication from our reservations team. This does not represent Skytop’s normal level of service. We have taken steps to revise our reservations process in order to ensure that calls are returned promptly going forward.

With respect to your room rate, our rates are set competitively and we do extend further discounts to wedding guests. Additional fees and taxes are provided on the confirmation you received upon booking your reservation.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to Skytop again soon.

President & General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skytop
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Marshalls Creek
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!