“Not as good as I expected.”
Review of Good N Plenty

Good N Plenty
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Smoketown
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Dutch
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newport News, Virginia
“Not as good as I expected.”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

You could eat family style where they bring large bowls of food to your table or you could order off the menu. Since it was lunch time, we chose to order off the menu. The price per person for family style was $22. First off they brought us a pitcher of ice cold water and a basket of homemade bread slices with apple butter and fresh butter. We tried the fried chicken and BBQ. It was good, not great. The cabbage slaw was delicious though. Our meals came with dessert. We got homemade ice-cream and shoo fly pie. The pie was ok but the ice cream was delicious.

Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We found this place just riding around. I think family style is great for a group but for just the two of us we ordered from the menu and the food was delicious.

“Better arrive early?”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 6:53 PM and they closed at 8:00 PM so that should have been our first clue as to what followed. Instead of being seated we had to wait for six more persons to arrive before we were seated at 7:30 PM. Family style is nice, but really when it is later in the evening why keep individuals waiting to fill out the table just so family style eating is followed? The food while very plentiful, seemed to be what was at the bottom of the pot, sort of speaking. The fried chicken seem to be overdone and dry. The ham was good but not enough of it was served. While the beef stew was good it seemed to be "soupy in content". The deserts while plentiful again just seemed to be lacking a nice touch. The ice cream for example was melting when served,and the pies I expected to be a lot better in texture and contents. The servers seemed to be busy cleaning the tables off and we felt as if we were holding them back from finishing for the night. There was a rather large bus group holding a holiday party so maybe our server was needed there too. Don't know for sure. Maybe another visit but we will have to make it earlier and not later.

Visited December 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great homestyle experience”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We went around 6 pm on a Friday and expected a wait, but there were plenty of empty tables. Our family of four got our own table only because no other parties came in around the same time. I was surprised with the amount of food (lots). My daughter asked me to get the mashed potato recipe; I really liked the buttered noodles, which tasted better than they sound. The ham and fried chicken were good, as were the other sides. The desserts, esp. the blueberry pie, were very nice. What we really liked was the different atmosphere and our wonderful server Joyce, who made us feel like we were guests in her home. We all want to go back and bring other folks with us to experience this hospitality.

Elkhart
“Good food, but it doesn't come cheap!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The food is delivered "Family Style" where you will eat at a big table with people that you don't know. The food is very good, and there is a good selection. The desserts are also very good. They will bring it to you as long as you ask for more, but be prepared to pay for what you get. This is good food, but it will cost you about $30 each plus tip. It reminded me of the old cooking that my grandmother did, but the cost will leave a bitter taste in your mouth if you aren't prepared for it. I am glad we ate here, but I am not sure I would be willing to pay this much to eat there again, especially after finding other Amish/Mennonite restaurants that were just as good but much cheaper.

• Visited May 2013