“Average stay- you get what you pay for!”

Knights Inn Somerset
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Somerset
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Average stay- you get what you pay for!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was the first and probably last time I will ever stay at a Knights Inn. The room was badly in need of updating - for the most part clean and quiet. Mini fridge in the room was a nice touch. No frills, basically a comfortable bed. There are some things in walking distance but if you need to get off the interstate on a moment's notice with the only other option being sleeping in the car, probably the only way I'd stay here again. For another $10-20 could have rented a room twice as nice somewhere else.

Probably the best part of the stay was listening to my husband read other people's Tripadvisor reviews of the place as we were staying there. Bought the room on Hotwire though (one of my only Hotwire "fails" IMO as I've rented MANY rooms through Hotwire and always been satisfied) so I knew what I was getting. Somerset is a nice place to stop on the Turnpike and there are a lot of food/hotel options here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hall_family2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago
Reviewed 4 June 2014

You're right by the highway and you can walk to typical fast-food restaurants but other than that you really get what you pay for here. The rooms are beyond outdated, and I was amazed that someone took a picture of the bottle opener that is built into the bathroom door frame because I wish I took a picture of that to post on here LOL, in fact this is the only place I have ever stayed in that had a bottle opener built into the door frame ha! Other than that do not expect anything other than a bed for the night. Personally I wouldn't stay here by choice and now know better if I end up traveling through the area again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Somerset hotels

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Made a reservation through Expedia for 5 (2 adults + 3 kids) for tonight. Called ahead to make sure that we are all set. The person at the reception proceeded to tell me that I only paid for 2 people, and there are not cots for kids. The person was rude and obnoxious. I promised him to write this review. I had to cancel this reservation, and Expedia helped me locate another hotel which cost double, but were nice and promised to be ready for us. The only way to stop bad businesses is not to give them your business. Please stay away

Room Tip: Do not Stay Here
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The people were very friendly and helpful. The beds were clean and comfortable, the bathroom was outdated and the shower wasn't the best, but the toilet was clean. There was a small continental breakfast, which wasn't bad considering this place was only $45 per night. It was quiet and convenient to the turnpike and restuarants. Certainly not the Ritz, but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed here 20 yrs ago and it was a thriving 400 room hotel. They must be low on funds. They only have like a little over maybe 200 rooms now, Its all in 1 building, the lot is NOT maintained, I almost fell on the ice and then the back wasnt even able to walk on the lot without good boots. They used to have 4 or 5 buildings and they are gone. It had a pool at 1 time and its been emptied and its just a big hole now. The rooms are nice but thats about where the good part ends. The cost was not worth what I got.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank luvtotrvel6594
Baldwin, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 5 January 2014

You've read the other reviews: outdated, crumbling, no breakfast to speak of.... but the people are great, the room is "clean" , location was perfect for us traveling - just off of the turnpike and easy to get back on. Owner/operators had a cute step-dog visiting when we were there and we still talk about what a pleasant animal it was. One of the nicest "dumps" I have ever spent 6 hours in.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was VERY concerned when I first arrived to the hotel. I anticipated just absolute horrible accommodations. I expressed my concern to the elderly man who was checking me in and he said, I understand, please, here's a key, go check if the room meets your satisfaction.

I did. I walked with my two kids to the room and while it certainly wasn't trump plaza, it was ok. The mattresses seemed relatively new, however, the décor was definitely WAY outdated. The fridge worked, the water worked, microwave worked. Everything worked and I didn't see any bugs or anything. It wasn't the cleanest, but it wasn't obviously dirty. TV worked and the room was really ok.

I accepted the room and stayed the night. Took a shower the next day and we left. We did not opt for the breakfast as I wasn't sure about the food storage. Just a cautious guy with kids. I had a good night sleep as the mattress was comfortable enough.

The only _real_ concern that I had was that there wasn't enough security on the door and when there were people talking outside, it was audible in the room. There is not any way to lock the door from entry from the hotel. No deadbolt, no chain lock, nothing. Just a door knob that will allow a key to open the door.

I was pleased with my stay -- and I stayed again for two more days the following week. I figured a known, acceptable, commodity is better than worrying about something you don't know.

Not bad, GREAT value for the money, and really reasonable accommodations.

Room Tip: King room has a sofa, two double beds has a table with chairs
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family