“Lovely Inn - Easy escape from New York City”

The French Manor Inn and Spa
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We were looking for a place to get away that was not too far away but would feel like another world. We chose The French Manor because it fit all these requirements AND they had a great deal of two nights for the price of one if you went mid-week. We found our room -Venice to be pleasant and spacious but the "closet" was quite small and was almost like a crawl space one would find under some stairs. We enjoyed using the indoor pool and we thought the food was very good. On the other hand, the prices for the food were completely out of whack for what it was and where it was. We live and go out in NYC to a lot of nice restaurants and I can say without hesitation that the prices charged by The French Manor Restaurant were much higher then what one would pay for comparable food in NYC. The only other thing to be aware of is that this is a place to strictly relax. There didn't seem to be all that much to do around the area and the economy has definitely taken a toll on local businesses. Many places were boarded up which was sad to see. I would recommend this place for a short relaxing getaway. The staff are extremely nice if a little green for such an expensive place but that is a small point. Overall we enjoyed it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NJKNewYork

Reviewed 14 May 2012

To celebrate my husband's 40th and our 10th anniversary I was delighted to find The French Manor Inn and Spa. His idea of a good time is a weekend at the Four Seasons. I find that too pretentious so I wanted to find something of the same caliber, without the big city feel of a hotel like that. In fact, The French Manor is my idea of camping. The views were spectacular, the weather was perfect for late spring, the feel was one of calmness and it was truly relaxing. The accommodations were perfect. Based on other reviews of the nosiness of the main building, we booked a spa suite. The room was exactly how it was pictured online. Everything was in perfect order and it was kept lovely and clean. It was a joy to return from meals and have our rooms straightened up. We enjoyed the couples massage and spent time afterwards in the pool. The meals were fantastic. The staff, while young, did their very best at all times and were always professional. (It seems like the Inn is supporting most of the local economy so I can't complain about that.) I would suggest adding a few things to the menu of lighter fare. Friday evening we were in the mood for something lighter and while we dined in Hannah's Cafe the menu was still the full course spread, which made it not as special the next night (the menu - not the food which was spectacular). It was also disappointing that while the restaurant has a jacket requirement, two couples were dining on the porch in shorts, golf shirts and flip flops.
To conclude, if you want the Four Seasons without the big city cold and impersonal feel, book it today. It was totally worth it.

Room Tip: The spa suites were well worth the extra expense. It felt secluded which is what we wanted our roma...
Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2012

My daughters and I were due for a get-a-way, my youngest was on Senior year Spring Break and my older daughter is recovering from an accident. My youngest went on a search for a spa in the Poconos and came up with this option. Beautiful area, even in the pre-spring browns and bareness. We arrived early to take in some spa treatments, and were very pleased with the staff and their abilities - though the fees for services were a little bit steep. Afterward, the pool was so refreshing and relaxing, and then back to the suite and on to dinner.
We had the small "cafe" to ourselves and enjoyed our dinners fully. The Chef did an amazing job with my 'more than medium' steak, tender and not drippy, and for my daughters, was willing to prepare a very nice vegetarian meal - they enjoyed them very much. James, our server, was very attentive and helpful as well as professional. (Be aware that the "cafe" serves the same pricey food as the main dining room, but you don't have to be dressed formally.)
The rooms we recommend are in the spa building, only one floor of rooms, so the issues of possibly hearing someone walking around etc was not a problem. Our suite was beautiful, we found the fireplace and the jacuzzi to be very relaxing and so enjoyable.
The three of us would be happy to return another time, in fact, I plan on making reservations for a fall anniversary get-a-way with my husband, and I am pretty sure my one daughter has been discussing the possibility of a visit with her husband too.
Beautiful grounds and views - walking trails we didn't have time to get out on, great food (I didn't even mention the wonderful breakfasts!), relaxing suites and spa... Save your pennies (and dollars!) as this is a pricey B & B / Restaurant / Spa, and book a package here, I know we weren't disappointed!

Room Tip: The outer Suites in the Spa building are the rooms I would recommend, there are more windows in each...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank reinings
Reviewed 11 March 2012

i needed to find an affordable spa getaway for my girlfriends and I. I found this place on a search engine and took a chance. it looked like a quiet retreat, which is what we were looking for.The girlsfriends package included lunch and breakfast and 1 spa treatment and pedicure.When we got there,it was time for lunch. The lunch was soup and salad-no bread or anything,so that was kind of limited. But it is at the spa and I'm sure they trying to keep up with the whole healthy vibe. But you could bring snacks and wine,so that worked out. Then we got our massages and pedi's. massages was fantastic! The pedi-not so much, this girl seemed like she didn't know what she was doing but she was so sweet and really trying hard so I didn't want to complain. The dinner, which you pay out of pocket, was incredible! It was pricey, but it is fine dining. Think filet mignon and lobster. Worth every penny. Bring DVD's for the room as well as more wine. and the next morning enjoy a great breakfast with a wide variety of choices on the menu-which is included in the girlfriends spa getaway package.Gratuities are also included so you don't have to worry about tipping everytime. No need to get dolled up here. It'sa very quiet and intimate environment. so serene and relaxing. So charming!I just got back and had to write a review. I'm definatley going to go back with my husband for a romantic weekend.

Room Tip: There are only 19 rooms in the whiole place
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jenn a
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Ok first I'll start with the good .. the new chef is very talented .. lobster bisque is AMAZING .. the atmosphere is really eloquent .. the servers and the waiter were really helpfull .. theres only one negative that made experience one not to remember .. the hostess .. there was a total of 5 tables and we had to wait 55 minutes for her to give us the check .. she was too busy flirting with the bar tender and getting drinks for herself than doing her job .. i mean if there was more tables i can see it taking a while but there were only 2 other table (all couples) waiting for checks the same time we were .. the table next to us got the wrong check .. after waiting 45 minutes my girlfriend asked for ours on her way to bathroom .. after she got out she asked the hostess if our check was giving to me and the hostess said "yea i just did" in a very rude tone of voice .. she was doing nothing but drinking and flirting with the bar tender and then had the audacity to be rude because she was too incompetant to do her job .. i know people have bad days but in the service industry there is no room for that .. especially when the bill was 150 .. we were scoping the place out and were almost dead-sent on having our wedding there but this hostess ruined it .. we will take our business elsewhere .. when we were leaving we had to wait for my girlfriend to get her coat .. we asked the hostess and she rolled her eyes and ripped it out of the closet .. sorry we took time from your drinking/flirting to do your job .. we talked to the other couples who were also upset with the hostesses rudeness .. i hope someone from the french manor reads this and has a sit-down with her because she was the only dissapointment of the night .. it really ruined our dinner .. if you want a great meal from a truly talented chef i would highly recomend this place .. your just going to have to endure a totally incompetent hostess .. dont remember her name but shes the blonde in her late 40's ..

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rob c
frenchmanor, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

We appreciate your comments regarding your dining experience at The French Manor. I assure you that we are taking this matter seriously.

The French Manor is a family run business in which we truly care for all aspects of our guests' comfort. We are saddened to hear that our host may have made you feel uncomfortable. It was certainly not our intention to make you feel unwelcome.

We made it a point to mention your comments to our staff. As professionals, they realize that it is by receiving such suggestions from our guests that we may improve our services.

We at The French Manor strive to combine an elegant setting with the warmth and graciousness of our service. I am very sorry that we let you down on this occasion. Please accept our apologies as we truly hope that we may restore your faith in The French Manor.

We hope for the opportunity to welcome you back again to The French Manor.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

My husband and I just returned from celebrating his birthday at the French Manor Inn & Spa. We are big B&B fans, and make an effort to stay in smaller inns wherever we travel. I read the other reviews on the French Manor before selecting it as our choice, and have to say that after our experience there, I agree with some of the other negative reviews we saw on TripAdvisor. There don't seem to be many other hotel/inn options in this region of the Poconos, and if anyone else knows of something - we'd love to know about it! Therefore, despite the negative reviews, we did see some other five star and glowing reviews of the French Manor and decided to book it.

We checked into the inn on a Friday, skied at Camelback Mountain on Saturday, and checked out on Sunday. We booked a dinner reservation at the French Manor Inn for Saturday night, and I had asked for some dinner recommendations in town for Friday night. The staff suggested we could just enjoy dinner in the "cafe" on the inn's property if we wanted a casual atmosphere. So, since we got there a bit late on Friday, we decided to do that. When I hear the word "cafe", I'm envisioning sandwiches, salads, and lighter fare. Apparently, the "cafe" at the French Manor is just another room which serves the same dinner menu as the main restaurant - meaning $50 entrees and over the top service. However, you are allowed to dress casually in this other room. We ended up spending $60 for soup and salads when we were really just looking for a light dinner to tide us over before going to bed. But the food was good, so it was fine.

Our room ($250 per night), was the Florence room in the main house. It was much larger than we expected, but small details in the space were just "off". One of our face towels had someone else's mascara on it and clearly had not been washed. The heater was becoming detached from the wall in the bathroom. The bed spread seemed old and the curtains looked like they had been there at least 20 years. Then, the guests in the room above us arrived. We knew when they arrived and when they went to bed, because we could hear their footsteps and muffled conversations. Overall, the room just wasn't a space you wanted to spend time in and relax. Moreover, it was not worth the $250 price tag per night.

The breakfasts, as other reviewers state, were overall pretty good. However, the staff is young, inexperienced, and slightly awkward. Our major complaint concerning the breakfast was that on one of the mornings, both my husband and I ordered poached eggs. Both our eggs were overcooked and not that appetizing.

Dinner on Saturday night was a mixed bag. The french onion soup and salads/appetizers we had were great. I ordered the scallops, which were gritty and just okay. My husband had the short ribs which he reports were okay. We ordered a bottle of wine as well. The wine list is not accurate based on what they have available. Although our first two choices were unavailable, the bartender did find us a more expensive bottle that was similar to what we had ordered, and gave it to us for a lower price, which we really appreciated. However, in general we felt like the entire dinner experience was overpriced. We have been to highly ranked Michelin star restaurants before and have rarely left a meal where we felt like we overpaid for what we received. The service staff at the French Manor is just not trained properly, and there is an aspect of inauthenticity to the whole place that just feels strange and somewhat unwelcoming.

We're honestly surprised that the French Manor Inn is listed as a Select Registry B&B. The other Select Registry properties we've stayed at far surpass the experience we had at the French Manor. We feel like the French Manor Inn could be amazing. The property is beautiful, their new spa facilities (we only used the whirlpool hot tub) are gorgeous, and the food, while overpriced, is not horrible.

In our opinion, the French Manor Inn is overpriced for what you get. We loved the Poconos, and will likely ski at Camelback in the future. But we will not be staying at the French Manor Inn again, nor will we recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: If you're willing to drop $350-$400 per night, go with the Spa suites.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Stephanie H
Reviewed 23 January 2012

My husband and I spent our "mini-moon" at the French Mano Inn and Spa for four days and three nights in October of 2011. We absolutely loved the relaxing manor. It was prime Fall colors, and a much needed rest from wedding planning. We spent our days walking the grounds, which have absolutely stunning views, eating, sleeping, and in general relaxing.

We stayed in the Chambord Suite, which was on the second floor of La Maisonneuve Suites. The balcony afforded us an unobstructed view of the surrounding mountain vista. The bed was extremely comfortable as were the linens. I will admit like other reviewers that the walls were rather thin, and we did hear the neighbors at least one evening, which leads me to wonder if they were able to hear us as well. Embarrassing.

We did visit the spa and had a couples massage, and that was great, and the prices were on par with the other spas I've visited. The exercise room was small but well appointed and the pool was adorable, it's too bad I forgot to bring my bathing suit.

The afternoon tea was a nice touch, and the main manor house had wonderful old world charm that my husband and I just fell in love with...the dinner which was included with our Enchanted Evenings package was AMAZING. We ate ourselves silly.

The entire staff (wait staff, bartender, front desk) was fantastic, accommodating, and in general wonderful. I thought it was a nice touch that while we were at breakfast (included with our stay, and let me say again DELICIOUS), our room was cleaned, so when we returned our room was always fresh. And the same with dinner, every time we returned from dinner our room was "turned down" and had chocolates on the night table. It was a nice touch, and I assume the staff communicated with the housekeeping staff that we were at our meals, but my husband and I never saw the cleaning staff so it was like house elves were popping in and taking care of it.

I think in general the French Manor Inn is a fantastic experience, and a wonderful place to visit. The only reason I am giving it only 4 stars, even with the enchanted evenings package the visit was still rather expensive. Still, I have recommended it to others as a special place to visit and I hope my husband and I can go back again soon.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms in La Maisonneuve Suites have gorgeous views.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Paradise Stream Resort
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
Crescent Lodge & Country Inn
The Lodge at Woodloch

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!