“Absolute Hidden Diamond”

The French Manor Inn and Spa
New York City, New York
“Absolute Hidden Diamond”
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I stayed there midweek, about two weeks ago so had the benefit of few guests around. This is a beautiful elegant property and while a bit hard to find, that is one of the appealing aspects. If you are thinking "Poconos", nothing could be further from reality. It would be a spectacular venue for a summer wedding, or couples getaway. Most have king beds, impossibly soft sheets, fireplace and small deck. Soaking tubs are located in the bedroom proper but again, this is mostly for couples. There are three separate buildings so if possible ask for the Spa Suites or the Maisonettes building; there are one or two rustic rooms in the main building which may not be for everyone but you will think you are back in the 1920s Great Lodges. Dinner in the restaurant was amazing and service was impeccable. Yes, the requirement is for formal dress, but it is in keeping with the elegance of the property. Food was varied, perfect and inventive. Chris our server was well trained and amiable. My only comment is that one has to walk outdoors from your room to the spa, and if it is cold out, it is uncomfortable. Otherwise, I would highly recommend this and hope to go back myself in the future.

Room Tip: The Spa Suites building is most convenient for parking, walking to the spa and the restaurant. The...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Last weekend, I stayed at the French Manor Inn for a Girls Spa Weekend. It was one of the best relaxation weekends I have ever experienced. We arrived late Friday night in the snow and were greeted by a friendly face, Devon. He was courteous and even helped us find a local restaurant that was still open after 9:30 PM since we planned dinner at the Inn the next evening. We stayed in the Turrett Suite. The suite has the feel of a European country side bed and breakfast. Yes, it may not be Ritz Carlton, but you have every amenity and all the manor charm. The suite fits three comfortably and we loved the special touches throughout the two-level suite.

After a wonderful breakfast at the Manor, our day of spa treatments started. Everyone at the spa was amazing and you felt like you are among friends. We had massages, facials, manicures and pedicures. Services and the spa treatment rooms were top-notch. Thank you A.J., Jane, Juliana and Robin for such a wonderful experience. We left that day feeling so relaxed and glowing.

That evening we had dinner at French Manor and it was five star service. Lovely piano music played throughout dinner. It was so nice to enjoy each course and not be rushed. All restaurant staff was polite and attentive. If you love Lobster Bisque, you have found heaven. Chef Jeff, my taste buds loved every course. Special mention - Breakfast at the Manor is a must and you got to try the French toast.

So overall, if you are looking for a exceptional getaway with your honey or girlfriends in the mountains, you cannot go wrong at The French Manor. It is a place to be pampered, relax and enjoy the mountain setting without crouds. Everyone and I mean everyone was wonderful and made us feel so special. A special thank you to Becky for always greeting us with a smile and getting my Huckleberry candle. As I write this review, my candle is lite and all the wonderful memories of last weekend make me happy. Thank you for making my sister’s 40th birthday weekend so special. We definitely will be back.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Long Valley, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My husband took me here to celebrate my birthday for the weekend. It sounded quaint and romantic for a nice weekend. The person that greeted us was very friendly and showed us to our room which was located inside the main building (Florence room )We had to walk through the dining room in order to enter into our room. It was awkward at best with everyone staring at us and wondering why we were carrying luggage through the dining room. The room itself was bizarre. With old creaky furniture. The headboard appeared as if it was going to literally fall off its hinges. The entire room was covered with wood. The bathroom Had its original tile which needed to be redone. It literally reminded me of the 70's,But not in a a good way. Guests arrived in the upstairs bedroom on day two. They were not loud at all however you could hear every foot step, every single thing they were saying. And I mean everything! I felt as if I was in my parents house and I had to be quiet as well. Their romp in the middle of the night was disturbing to hear as well. The pool and hot tub were great. Breakfast was better the first day we were there. I feel like we got ripped off for this facility. Not at all what it is cracked up to be. Poor location as well. In the middle of nowhere. Try somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2013
frenchmanor, Manager at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear Barbara123456789,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your winter getaway at the French Manor Inn and Spa. We appreciate your comments and constructive criticism. It is only by receiving such comments that we may strive to improve our services and quality.

The French Manor is a family run business in which we truly care for all aspects of our guests' comfort. All of our 19 accommodations are unique, especially the Main House rooms with the atmosphere of this elegant European Manor. For future reference, there is an alternate entry to the North wing of the Manor House for guests staying in only the Florence and Versailles Rooms. However, this entry may be difficult to utilize in mid-January if there is several inches of snow or ice. We will certainly see if there is a solution to this problem as we do understand that walking through the dining room may be awkward.

We are sorry that the Florence room did not meet your expectations. We do not normally receive comments about the noise from the upstairs room or the original charm of the 1930's deco-style tile work. In fact, the floor tile is not original. We did update this tile recently with a mosaic tile work complimentary with the architectural design. However, we will certainly take your comments seriously and investigate a possible solution to dampen the noise between the two levels.

We are glad to hear that you found our customer service very friendly and that you enjoyed our salt-water pool and hot tub. We try to make all our guests feel welcome and at home. Again, thank you for your comments. Positive or negative - every suggestion from our guests is taken very seriously.

We hope that sometime in the future you will give us an opportunity to show you what a special place The French Manor Inn and Spa is. I would be glad to help you plan your activities personally if you reach out to me directly. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. - Bridget
Country
Reviewed 22 January 2013 via mobile

The French Manor is a great pick if you are looking for a romantic getaway. It is quiet and well-kept - the staff mostly keep their distance so that you can enjoy yourselves without interruption. For the price, it is not too bad, especially if you are familiar with the prices of some of the other "romantic getaway destinations" in the Poconos (hint: think champagne-shaped jacuzzi suite) which are way overpriced for what you get. Only qualm: servers seem to forget about their tables in the restaurant. Bottom line: we had a great time, and would recommend.

Also, "The Hotel" restaurant nearby was good - our waitress, Glenda, was a riot! Food was cheap and excellent.

• Stayed January 2013
Manalapan, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 19 January 2013

We were looking for a two-night getaway a short distance from our home. It was the perfect place to just be together. We stayed in the La Bordeaux suite in the La Maisonneuve buiilding, which was a mix of updated and not, with a gorgeous view from the deck. Very comfortable. Would prefer a real fireplace to a gas one, but whatever--as long as you have some kind of fireplace, it's all good. The only negative I have is that the water could be filtered so it smells nice for the whirlpool tub ;). Dinner in the dining room was absolutely wonderful--outstanding service, outstanding food. We had chateaubriand for two and requested one of the two fireside tables, and it was one of the best times I've had at dinner. Breakfast, not so much. I definitely recommend snow-shoeing (available on the property) on the beautiful trails and taking a trip to Camelback about 25 minutes away for snow tubing or whatever you're into. Also check out the salt pool and hot tub in the spa. Lots of nice little treats were included in our package, and we had the pleasure of meeting Jackie, who had a snow day, at checkout--she was a very gracious and generous part of the day's staff! I would visit again and recommend the inn.

Room Tip: Get a suite and a package.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We searched various locations in the Pocono mts and fortunately, found the French Manor Inn and Spa. We arrived on a Thur and stayed till SUN. so basically, 4 days and 3 nights. From start-finish, the Inn fabulous. We had one of the La Maisonneuve Suites and could not be more pleased. Clean, nice decor, spacious and incredibly romantic. We had a jacuzzi and fireplace in our room. A beautiful deck that overlooked the mountains. This was a corner room on the higher end of the property which i recommend in terms of 'view' from the room. Service was excellent as well. We ordered breakfast in bed one am for 10 am. BOOM, 9:59, the door bell rang. They forgot something but within 5 min, they were back! We had dinner in the Inn... one of the most beautiful and romantic dinners i have ever had. The wine list was excellent and the service/food wonderful/delicious. They play piano on the weekends..which is nice. We used the spa services. Fee was reasonable.. my boyfriend enjoyed his full body massage. My facial was just 'okay'...but the spa itself was very nice/clean and smelled great! They have an indoor pool and hot tub. beautiful and new! Gym, small but for the size of the facility, it sufficed. NO weights.. but the 3 machines there were of high quality. I have to say,...for the four days we were there you would think we would have something to complain about. NOTHING. it was perfect and exactly what we were searching for! If you are looking for a cozy, beautiful, quiet, clean, small and romantic environment to sneak away to... this is it! We will be back for sure!

Room Tip: Recommend the La Maisonneuve Suites since they are at the top of the property and have excellent vie...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Lockport, NY
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Amid stressful circumstances, I made a last-minute reservation for an overnight stay. I needed to pick up my son, who attends college in NYC, and this Inn is located approximately 2 hours outside of Manhattan. Upon my arrival after a five hour drive from upstate New York, I reported directly to Robin, my masseuse at the Spa. One hour later I emerged feeling ten pounds lighter and pain free! I went back to my room in The Carriage House and feel immediately into a restful sleep. I woke up in time for my fireside dinner reservation in the manor lodge where I indulged in a sensory feast of fine French cuisine, soothing classical Christmas music, and festive visuals that included the largest and most beautiful Christmas tree I had ever seen. After dinner, I enjoyed the therapeutic solitude of the hot tub and salt water swimming pool. As I was leaving the next morning after my delicious fireside course breakfast, I commented to Bridget that I could not believe how much better I felt and how rejuvenating my 16 hour stay had been. I am so glad I decided to make this trip! This Inn combines historic charm with five star service and a welcoming staff that feels like family. As an added perk, it is in close proximity to antique shops, ski resorts, and The Crossings Outlet Mall. Definitely the gem of the Poconos!

Room Tip: I found The Carriage House to be very quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Mount Airy Casino Resort
Mount Airy Casino Resort
#1 of 7 in Mount Pocono
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,264 reviews

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!