“Wonderful & Relaxing...The food is fabulous!”

The French Manor Inn and Spa
Reviewed 11 July 2010

This was our second stay at The French Manor. They finished their Spa and Spa Suites since our last visit and we had our first chance to experience them. The Spa Suites are beautiful. The rooms are spacious and charming. The in room "hot tub" is a pleasure, along with a bottle of champagne! We relaxed on our balcony each afternoon in the sun and enjoyed the views. The Spa, Pool, Hot Tub and work out room are fantastic as well. We enjoyed hours there each day. A special thanks to Daisy who did a wonderfully relaxing massage. She saved the day after a migraine hit me the first day. The FOOD at the Manor is out of this world. Chef Mike made us a delicious dessert, special for us on our VIP trip. His vision and execution were beyond belief. We left each night more impressed than the last. He could work anywhere in the world. The entire experience was perfect. I could go on and on. Just GO!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The French Manor Inn and Spa

Reviewed 6 July 2010

My husband and I went to dinner here to celebrate our 3 year anniversary. We chose to have the chef's sampler. For a set price, the chef decides what we have for each course. My husband and I pretty much like anything and were willing to broaden our horizons, so this was perfect for us. We weren't disappointed. Each course that came out was better than the one before. The food was amazing. What was great about this option was it allowed us to try dishes we might not have thought to order for ourselves. Everything was outstanding. We sat outside and the view was great. The service was also superb. The bartender and servers were polite, introduced themselves, described the food to a "T", and did a great job all around.

We will definitely go back to the French Manor to celebrate another special occasion. We've already told so many people about our great experience.

Thank you for a delightful evening.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2010

fresh cut roses, cheese and fruit, champaign on ice, sherry and chocolates awaited us on arrival. The room was spacious with an in-room jacuzzi and fireplace and a porch overlooking the pocono mountains. Our package came with a four course increidble gourmet dinner each night - I was only sorry I wasn't able to eat every bite. They packed a picnic for us the next day so we could hike in the nearbye state park. There was nothing I would have changed - even the amazing thread count.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2010

We had one of the "new" Spa Suites. The carpet was dirty, the bed was uncomfortable and there was no hot water when we checked in (had to call the front desk to complain). There was no one to greet us at check-in; we had to go find somebody. Dinner was very disappointing. The two filet mignon steaks that they sent out were laced with fat and had little flavor. When we complained it took 20 minutes to get a replacment steak which was somewhat better. No decent chef would have sent out such inferior food, but this one did. A "Four-Diamond" restaurant? I think not. Not with this wine list. Besides a few decent bottles to choose from, the rest of the wine list was standard crap, bottles that cost no more than $20 in a wine store. Don't be fooled by the ads, awards and reviews from the Select Registry (where I will be writing to next), save your money and stay and eat somewhere else. Yes, the staff was friendly, but a friendly staff doesn't make up for over-priced, poorly-maintained rooms and sub-par food. The Select Registry craps out on this one.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jltbalt1
Reviewed 13 June 2010

The food, views and architectual character of the original building were amazing. The new buildings were not all that impresssive...though that is where i stayed. The staff while attentive seemed as though they had too many jobs to focus. I called the desk and found it to be unattended on numerous occasions, walked to the desk, again unattended because of an event taking priority to the guests. The event left no parking for guests. I stayed in a new spa room. There was no attention to detail in decorating. The shower curtains too short, the drapery rods incorrectly hung, the bathroom mirror swaying because of the hairdryer and the worst part...bad bedding. Institutional, uncomfortable, clearance rack croscill that was not washing well and had seen better days. Thank god for the starry night, the wine, food and good company because the hotel itself was just above average. I would say for the money drive up for dinner walk the grounds, enjoy the views and lovely main building, but stay somewhere else.

1  Thank Iwuvliam
frenchmanor, Director of Sales at The French Manor Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2010

Thank you for your comments. We truly appreciate your insight and have certainly dealt with the details you mentioned regarding our spa suites. We have already replaced the bedding and the shower curtain.

Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back to the French Manor Inn and Spa in the future.

Reviewed 7 June 2010

I recently had my wedding reception at the French Manor on Saturday, May 29th, 2010. I can not stress how absolutely beautiful it was! All our guests said it was the most gorgeous event they had ever been to and that they felt they were in a fairy tale! The food was delicious, the staff was amazing, and the view and location is absolutely breathtaking! I cannot wait to go back and visit the French Manor in the future. 100% worth visiting and the complimentary breakfast the next day was delicious!!! Thank you to the French Manor for making my day unforgettable and a special thanks to Bridget for all your help!!

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My girlfriend recommended we stay @ The French Manor for Memorial Day weekend. The locale is gorgeous, the views fantastic; very conducive to a romantic weekend. We looked forward to this with great excitement and anticipation

So, based on what she told me about the location and accommodations, I agreed to pay the $315/night. After what we experienced, I don't even think I would pay 1/2 that. In fact we are never going back and will tell others about our bad experience. Based on my experince, the incidents were not isolated, but part of a business culture that seems clueless about basic customer service. Sloppy management; poor accountability

Nice, but very young and inexperienced staff. During breakfast (part of the plan, we did not eat dinner on-site) a serving tray stand fell over (with a loud crash) and no one came to investigate the sound, moreover, two staff walked past it before a third set it upright. You would think the management would be on top of these things, but while clearing a table during breakfast, the manager spilled water on the floor... and never even gave a thought to mopping it up. We were told they were out of some fruit because their shipment had not arrived. What, no local source of berries for one of your menu items? Couldn't they see that was going to be a problem that morning? The little things added up: scum stain in the toilet, nearly empty roll (cornered off, no less!) of toilet paper in the holder while a full replacement roll sat on the wash stand, bed comforter pulled over the unmade bed, soiled serving tray removed while we were out, but no clean replacement towels, Jacuzzi not emptied and cleaned, twisted, unusable corkscrew, ants on the kitchenette counter when we returned from a day of sightseeing.

At checkout, I decided to inform the manager (same one who did not pick up the spilled water) about our disappointing experience. Normally I don't complain since it was after the fact. But she did ask. Two minutes into my list of faults, she went to get another person. Turns out the daughter of the owner. She took $50 off the bill. How she arrived at that amount, I have no idea. Then she said the thing that caused me to write this review, "No one has ever complained before." Sadly, I did not consult TripAdviosr in advance. Clearly, I am not the first to have a bad experience at The French Manor.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jimnyc75

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your recent stay at the French Manor Inn and Spa. We are a family owned and managed property and take great pride and personal care in all of the details. We are sorry that the attention to detail did not carry through to your experience.

As you may already be aware, we are the proud recipients of several Green awards, most recently the Pocono Mountains 2010 Green Award. Many small details add up to our conservation efforts without compromising quality. One small detail (but even the smallest details count) would be allowing our guests to use the toilet paper rolls until they are mostly gone. Of course, we would always supply extra rolls for our guests in the event more is needed.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary Fruit and Cheese platter we provide in all our accommodations upon check in. These platters are made especially for our incoming guests on the day of their arrival using the freshest fruits and cheese we have available. Therefore, each day these fruit and cheese platters may vary slightly depending on what fruits are available and in season. Same with the fruits offered at breakfast.

Housekeeping prefers to service our guest accommodations while our guests are enjoying a full gourmet breakfast (by the way, breakfast on the terrace overlooking that spectacular view is always a treat). However, they did notice a Do Not Disturb sign on your suite while you were having your breakfast. Of course, they did respect your privacy and serviced your suite while you were out for the day. I do hope you noticed the extra time and attention to detail they spent on servicing your suite while you were enjoying the Pocono region.

We take every comment very seriously and investigate all the details. We thank you for your comments as we feel that receiving comments such as yours enables us to improve upon our services.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Sterling
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Crescent Lodge & Country Inn

Been to The French Manor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!