“Clean, comfortable & close”

Residence Inn State College
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I really liked everything about this hotel and would definitely stay here again. The check-in staff was very friendly and helpful. There was plenty of parking at no additional charge. When I first checked in they reserved a room with 2 bedrooms but it was on the first floor. When I asked to be relocated to a higher floor as indicated on my initial reservation they had to downgrade me to an efficiency. At first I was a little put out about it. I didn’t need a 2 bedroom but a one bedroom would have been better. However the efficiency was really great and I was pleasantly pleased with my room accommodation and have attached photos to share.

The room had a good layout with both a desk and a table. The desk had plenty of outlets and free internet connections. I loved the fact that although there was a charge they had both a bottle of water on the table and one in the fridge for me as an option. This way I didn’t have to go downstairs and buy it from the market. Also it was $2.50 which is a little less expensive than the airport so not too unreasonable. They provide free popcorn which I always love and I had it for dinner one night. The sofa was large for an efficiency room but didn’t overpower and it was comfortable. There was only the one TV but it swiveled so that I could see it from the sofa or the bed. The linens were clean and the bed very comfortable.

The shampoo was Paul Mitchell and the soap was standard. The workout room was typical in that it had 3 or 4 machines but the one I wanted was available so it worked out. However towards the end of my workout I accidently caught my ear bud cord on the safety rope and stopped the machine. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to get it back on. Also, the TV was clear to the left of all the machines which means that there is no way you can see it without working out looking over your left shoulder during your entire workout. Either they need to move it or take it out because I just found it annoying.

Since I worked out late I wanted a healthy snack and was disappointed they didn’t have fresh fruit in their little market. However the front desk clerk went into the kitchen and got me a banana and an apple which I truly appreciated. I thought during the entire trip the front desk staff went out of their way to accommodate me.

I liked the location of this hotel. It’s sort of tucked back off the street a little and about 2 miles to the Penn State campus but close to major roads. Next time I’m in the area I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

NaomiBTravelin,

We’re glad to have had you stay at Residence Inn and read on TripAdvisor that you had a pleasant stay with us. Your detailed comments will be appreciated by many viewers and our future guests. Thank you again for your wonderful compliments. We hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn State College

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We bounced around hotel to hotel for weeks waiting for our house to close escrow. A total of 4 people with a cat limits your choices in State College. I wish we had spent more time at the Residence Inn. When given the choice to spend more money per night with a better than average free breakfast and have a nice kitchen verses a less expensive smaller room and go out every meal, go with a Residence Inn. We had the 1 bedroom suite with the pull out sofa that was reasonably comfortable for the kids. Friendly staff at the front desk and very helpful with faxing documents over the course of our stay. Flat panel TV's (2) for HDMI if the kids bring their XBOX or similar devices. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JAKfromLA
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

JAKfromLA ,

It is nice to hear from you on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you, your family (pets included) had a pleasant stay with us. We appreciate your compliments about our staff as well. Best wishes to you and your family in your new home. Please come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

This is an older Residence Inn which has had some updates to the lobby area. The rooms however are still outdated and are quite small compared to newer properties. We stayed in the 1-bedroom suite which had a very small bedroom. The pull out couch was very uncomftable to sleep in. The location of this hotel is good witth some restaurants nearby, but it is a few minute drive to get to the heart of downtown. The complimentary breakfast is adequate, but is much more limited in comparison to other Residence Inn properties.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

MNPilot, I regret that you found your stay with us only average, as we aim to meet every guests’ expectations! I will work with operations to see if there is something we can do to make our pull out couches more comfortable and our breakfast more adequate. Please consider staying with us again when traveling with family in our area. Warmest regards, Shane Niman, General Manager

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Nothing really to complain about here, except the really spotty internet and wireless signal, which seems to be common at every Marriott property in State College. And I've stayed in them all the past few weeks. Really nice breakfast; efficient, friendly staff; very nice grounds...and that great Residence Inn offering of a kitchen to cook your own food. I do wish these places had more than a cooktop. But it's better than just microwaving popcorn (which, of course, you can also do here).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Bagnato1, thank you for your review and recommendation. I will contact our IT department and ask that they look into our wireless signal. We’re pleased you enjoyed your stay and we will work to ensure your next visit to our State College Residence Inn is 100% perfect.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at the Residence Inn State College for the weekend of the Boalsburg Keystone Division Annual Memorial Service. The hotel is just finishing a top to bottom remodel. The room was comfortable and nicely decorated. We had a kitchen with full-sized fridge, dishwasher, a small cooktop, and cupboard space with basic dishware and utensils. The room also includes a small table for two. It was large enough to accommodate my two young children without feeling cramped. We spent both evenings in the indoor pool, which was kept at an ideal temperature. Overall, we were extremely pleased with this hotel and will be looking to stay at other Residence Inn hotels for future travel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2012

While the hotel isn't located in the center of town, it's only a quick drive to the city center which provides a quiet night of sleep!

Room Tip: Quiet, centrally located & pet friendly.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We had a terrific stay at the Residence Inn! We were there for Pen State's Graduation and had a one BR which was wonderful. Hotel must have been recently updated because it now looks much different than the posted pics. Rooms were modern and spacious great flat screen TVs that swiveled for viewing from the Bedroom or living/kitchen area, great furnishings, granite counters. We had family staying at another area hotel but we discovered there was still one 2BR unit available due to a cancellation, and our family liked the residence inn so much they booked the room! The 2 BR is great for a larger group. There are 2 separated BRs and a pullout. We didn't wake up in time for breakfast, but the area where it is served is lovely. We will be back hopefully for a football weekend next fall! Highly recommend! Very convenient to all campus venues.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family