“Wonderful hotel”

Residence Inn State College
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 20 November 2012

My wife and I had an extended stay there and I can't say enough good things. The staff was friendly and helpful including management. The rooms were clean and the breakfast outstanding. I highly recommend it for a family stay or business trip. Close to shopping and plenty of restaurants.

Room Tip: Call in plenty of time during football season.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

Steve K,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Residence Inn. We loved having you and your wife stay with us, and we appreciate your kind comments about our staff and hotel. Your recommendation is also appreciated. We wish you both well.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

We met up with friends here, as State College is about a four hour drive for each of us. We stayed in a 2 Bedroom Suite so that we could actually hang out with each other and have a common area. Plus, my husband and I have two kids, so the separate bedroom is always handy. While this place looked like a "normal" Residence Inn on the surface, it didn't seem quite up to the Marriott brand standards. We had a laundry list of broken items--our fireplace didn't work, the phone in our bedroom was broken, there was a broken mirror on the door to our closet (not the safest thing with a 2 year old running around), the room temp could not be regulated (it was either too hot or too cold no matter what we did), and the beds were NOT comfortable (again, not up to Marriott's standards--usually the bed is the best thing about them; these mattresses were worn out).

However, that being said, we did have ample space for 6 people (which you can't beat), and the breakfasts were WAY better than most of the hotels I've stayed in (they had real eggs, not powdered, which definitely made my husband happy). The staff were also quite accommodating when it came to bringing us a crib for our baby (although they seemed to not even care when we mentioned...simply so they were aware...everything that wasn't working in the room).

The pool was a nice size; the workout room had dated equipment. I would have expected newer equipment since the lobby seemed to have been recently renovated. The location is nice in that it is a bit away from the hustle and bustle of campus. There are a lot of things around, but you can still get away from it easily. My friend and I were able to go for a jog nearby and everything turned quickly residential.

I come to State College frequently for work, and I will likely not stay here again (I prefer the Fairfield Inn or Springhill Suites if I'm staying in a local Marriott). But if you're looking for somewhere with a little more space, particularly if you have kids and want to let them run around, and you don't mind that things are not 100% modern (the kitchen is quite dated), then this would be a good option for you.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Emily A
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2012

PSUEmily,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear that you and your friends were able to meet up, and delighted to know you chose Residence Inn as your meeting place. I'm glad you liked our spacious suites, and especially glad to know you enjoyed our wonderful breakfast buffet. I apologize for the broke items you mentioned, and I'll make sure to discuss your comments with our maintenance staff. We hope you will consider keeping Residence Inn as your place to stay in State College as we continue to make improvements and provide the best customer service possible.

Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

My husband and I are between houses and have been living here 3 months. This feels like home. The staff is wonderful. The food is good. The rooms are quiet. They are pet friendly. We are enjoying our stay here.

• Stayed: September 2012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

Dear Cheryletouchton:
It’s great to hear from you and receive such a wonderful review. It has been our pleasure to have you as our guests, and we are glad you are enjoying your stay. On behalf of the entire staff, Thank You for your business and we look forward to serving you for the remainder of your time with us.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

I only stayed one night, this hotel is a nice option for that kind of stay, I would not stay more that 3 nigths because it lacks a restaurant and room service. But for the time I stayed it is a nice centrally located hotel, check in was fast, my room was clean and very spacious, It has a small living room with a kitchen, I think this hotel would also be a good option for a long stayed because you can prepare your own food. Bed was comfortable but nothing to praise about it, bathroom is clean. State college is not that big of a town and there is not much options, this is a safe bet but do not expect personal concierge or personalized service, it serves its purpose well.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

Sirius_blk,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased to have had you stay as our guest, and glad you had a nice visit. We welcome you to come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

I really liked everything about this hotel and would definitely stay here again. The check-in staff was very friendly and helpful. There was plenty of parking at no additional charge. When I first checked in they reserved a room with 2 bedrooms but it was on the first floor. When I asked to be relocated to a higher floor as indicated on my initial reservation they had to downgrade me to an efficiency. At first I was a little put out about it. I didn’t need a 2 bedroom but a one bedroom would have been better. However the efficiency was really great and I was pleasantly pleased with my room accommodation and have attached photos to share.

The room had a good layout with both a desk and a table. The desk had plenty of outlets and free internet connections. I loved the fact that although there was a charge they had both a bottle of water on the table and one in the fridge for me as an option. This way I didn’t have to go downstairs and buy it from the market. Also it was $2.50 which is a little less expensive than the airport so not too unreasonable. They provide free popcorn which I always love and I had it for dinner one night. The sofa was large for an efficiency room but didn’t overpower and it was comfortable. There was only the one TV but it swiveled so that I could see it from the sofa or the bed. The linens were clean and the bed very comfortable.

The shampoo was Paul Mitchell and the soap was standard. The workout room was typical in that it had 3 or 4 machines but the one I wanted was available so it worked out. However towards the end of my workout I accidently caught my ear bud cord on the safety rope and stopped the machine. I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to get it back on. Also, the TV was clear to the left of all the machines which means that there is no way you can see it without working out looking over your left shoulder during your entire workout. Either they need to move it or take it out because I just found it annoying.

Since I worked out late I wanted a healthy snack and was disappointed they didn’t have fresh fruit in their little market. However the front desk clerk went into the kitchen and got me a banana and an apple which I truly appreciated. I thought during the entire trip the front desk staff went out of their way to accommodate me.

I liked the location of this hotel. It’s sort of tucked back off the street a little and about 2 miles to the Penn State campus but close to major roads. Next time I’m in the area I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

NaomiBTravelin,

We’re glad to have had you stay at Residence Inn and read on TripAdvisor that you had a pleasant stay with us. Your detailed comments will be appreciated by many viewers and our future guests. Thank you again for your wonderful compliments. We hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We bounced around hotel to hotel for weeks waiting for our house to close escrow. A total of 4 people with a cat limits your choices in State College. I wish we had spent more time at the Residence Inn. When given the choice to spend more money per night with a better than average free breakfast and have a nice kitchen verses a less expensive smaller room and go out every meal, go with a Residence Inn. We had the 1 bedroom suite with the pull out sofa that was reasonably comfortable for the kids. Friendly staff at the front desk and very helpful with faxing documents over the course of our stay. Flat panel TV's (2) for HDMI if the kids bring their XBOX or similar devices. I'd stay there again.

1  Thank JAKfromLA
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

JAKfromLA ,

It is nice to hear from you on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you, your family (pets included) had a pleasant stay with us. We appreciate your compliments about our staff as well. Best wishes to you and your family in your new home. Please come and stay with us again.

Regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2012

This is an older Residence Inn which has had some updates to the lobby area. The rooms however are still outdated and are quite small compared to newer properties. We stayed in the 1-bedroom suite which had a very small bedroom. The pull out couch was very uncomftable to sleep in. The location of this hotel is good witth some restaurants nearby, but it is a few minute drive to get to the heart of downtown. The complimentary breakfast is adequate, but is much more limited in comparison to other Residence Inn properties.

Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

MNPilot, I regret that you found your stay with us only average, as we aim to meet every guests’ expectations! I will work with operations to see if there is something we can do to make our pull out couches more comfortable and our breakfast more adequate. Please consider staying with us again when traveling with family in our area. Warmest regards, Shane Niman, General Manager