“Nice place”

Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in State College
Toronto, Canada
“Nice place”
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Overall this was a good facility. The room was very nice - it's probably been updated in the past year or so.

Breakfast was good as well.

For the price paid I would have expected a pool but there wasn't one.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Avis, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Actually, this is the second time I've stayed at this hotel. I really do enjoy it, especially for the price. The room was very clean and the nice size fridge is a plus. Also, there's an iron with board.Even though the hotel offers a free continental breakfast, it's located across the street from a restaurant that offers a very good breakfast and lunch menu. Another plus is that the toilet truly flushes and not just swishes the water around, and drainage in the shower and sink was fine. There were only a few of annoyances. First, the night light on the clock can light up the whole room, so I had to turn it on it's face. Also, there's a night light in the bathroom that can be a annoying if you don't close the bathroom door. Lastly, the pillows were the really soft/fluffy kind. If you like (or need like me) firmer ones you may be in for a rough sleep.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
bryn mawr, pa
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Well, in theory, it is not the ONLY place to stay in State College if you have your pet with you, but it certainly is the best.

Had to stay in State College for a few nights of business. Decided to being the girlfriend and our dog with me. Work usually puts me in 4 star hotels. That was not the case last week, but I was treated as if I was in a 4 star hotel.

Front desk personnel, housekeeping folks, etc. COULD NOT HAVE BEEN NICER!.
Helpful and friendly, accommodating. Needed a late check-out on the Monday, and it was no problem.

Room was pretty good sized with a comfy bed and large bathroom/tub. If I had one complaint it was that the pillows were a little soft, at least for my liking.
Free internet, free breakfast. What more could you ask for on a business trip.

All in all, a very good value.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 February 2011

Enjoyed a Saturday night here and will be back ..the hotel was clean, quiet, updated and offered ample free parking...the beds were very comfortable with nice soft blankets, plenty of pillows and new comforters..the bathroom was a nice size and extremely clean (no mildew anywhere)..the front desk staff was very pleasant and even checked dates for me for college graduation in a year! The continental breakfast was very inclusive including eggs both scrambled and hard boiled, waffles, bagels, toast, sauage, yogart, danish, fruit , hot and cold cereal and more...dining area was kept clean and well stocked..Small exercise room, but did not use it..Would recommend staying here in a minute!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I recently stayed at the Quality Inn for my son's volleyball tournament at Penn State. We paid around $70/night plus tax. I had a room with a king bed, and my son stayed in a double room with another player. About 25 people from the team including parents and coaches stayed there. I believe some other teams were staying here too, as the place was completely booked.

The room was exceptionally clean, and so was the bathroom. My particular room was an ADA accessible room (just happened to get that but did not ask for one) so the shower was set up for a handicapped guest. It also had a freestanding wardrobe closet, so this set up may be slightly different in a regular room. Anyway, the room was nicely furnished, including king bed and an easy chair with ottoman. The king bed had four pillows and was very comfortable. The room had plenty of lamps and light fixtures, and included a desk, bar size refrigerator, coffeemaker, and hair dryer. (can't recall now if it had a microwave or not, I don't think so.) It also had a full length wall mirror. The hotel also offers free wireless in the rooms.

The bathroom was spotless, and the shower stall had a hand held shower rather than a fixed one, which I presume is just in the accessible guest rooms. It also had no tub faucet which I didn't really care about. The only thing I didn't like about the shower was that it had fairly low water pressure and towards the end of my ten minute shower, it seemed to be running low on hot water - so I had to keep turning it back hotter and hotter to keep the same temp. My guess is that with so many kids from the volleyball teams staying here and all getting up at the same time, it may have temporarily used up the hot water. But I don't think this is a common scenario, and I was able to complete my shower while it was still warm.

The front desk staff was very welcoming and friendly, and upon check in, I was asked if I had a pet along with me. I did not, but I noticed that they are very welcoming to pet owners, with dog and cat treats on the front counter and bags of food available in case one forgot to bring it. There were quite a few dog owners staying at the hotel, and all seemed to have well behaved pets. I did not hear any noise or barking. My room did not show any sign of having previously had a pet there, so they obviously do a very thorough cleaning on rooms.

The free breakfast was pretty nice - it included hot scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, both hot and packaged oatmeal, choice of cereals, bagels, pastries, toast, juices, coffee, hot chocolate, and tea. I thought it was a nice breakfast and really a money saver in that my son's entire team did not have to go out somewhere to eat. As a parent I appreciate the cost savings.

Overall, I would say the hotel is a great value for the money. While it is not what I would consider walking distance to the University, it is just a 5 minute drive. It also has a number of convenient restaurants within walking distance. (I ate dinner one night at Penang, a new Asian restaurant across the street, and thought it was pretty good.)

I also felt that the hotel was a little nicer than I expected for the price I paid, and I would definitely return here again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed 6 December 2010

We stayed here when another local chain totally messed up our reservation. The room was half the price of the room at other chain and well worth the mistake. Rooms were clean, well appointed and very quiet, even though we were on the first floor and in a room facing a major local roadway. The Waffle Shop, a local breakfast chain, is located right across the street for a great breakfast. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Loudoun County, VA
Reviewed 15 July 2010

This Quality Inn was extremely clean, the beds were comfy, and even though it was SWELTERINGLY HOT outside (it stayed around 100 degrees all 4 days I was there), the room was always cool and comfortable, which I very much enjoyed :). It was also very quiet for a "pets-allowed" hotel; I didn't hear a thing! The staff was friendly and the continental breakfast food was always stocked up - didn't matter if I went downstairs at 7:30 am or 9, it was always full. I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo