“Comfy Weekend Stay”

Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in State College
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 June 2012

My brother and I are PSU alumni and decided to come up to State on a Friday night to visit our local favorite spots. We booked a room at the Best Western since we heard about the reasonable rates, especially for a weekend. Immediately coming in the front lobby we were greeted by staff that were speedy and kind at check in. Our room was nice and spacious-- who doesn't love comfy big beds, sitting area, flat screen tv, free wifi, and an eco-friendly hotel room? The icing on the cake was the complimentary breakfast--make your own waffle station, an assortment of fruit, bagels, yogart, coffee/juices really set everything off right. All in all, we were impressed and already have planned another trip back this upcoming fall.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Thank you for the review of the hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you during your next time in the area.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites

Reviewed 26 May 2012

My stay at this motel was a good bargain. The staff was friendly, the bed large and comfy, and the location ensured that it was quiet.
The buffet breakfast was pretty darn good for a Best Western.
The only shortcoming was that there was no restaurant within walking distance, but I suspect that situation will change within the next year or two.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JGKramb
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2012

Thank you for the response for other guests to view. As you mentioned, there is a restaurant lot next door that should have something built soon. Also, the Nittany Mall is across the street from the hotel and has numerous places to eat. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

My son will be attending Penn State in the Fall, so we needed to find a hotel that was located close to campus, could accommodate a family of four and was reasonably priced. After reading through the reviews on Trip Advisor of a number of hotels in State College, we decided we'd try this Best Western.

The location worked out fine. It's about an eight to ten minute drive straight down the road to E College Ave, so it wasn't a problem to go back to the hotel midday if necessary. There are a number of parking garages on the side streets once you get on campus, which was also convenient. There is also plenty of shopping right around the hotel, including the Nittany Mall.

The service was excellent. Check-in was quick and easy. Everyone at the front desk knew the area well and they were able to give us recommendations on great restaurants, where to park on campus and where to get the best deals on Penn State paraphernalia. A hot breakfast was included as part of our stay, with a standard offering of hot and cold foods. The staff did a great job of making sure there was enough food for everyone, which was important since it was very busy our last morning there.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. There was a mini-fridge, a coffee maker and a good quality flat panel TV in the room. There were also plenty of plugs around the room, which was critical, since everyone had to charge their cell phones, tablets and the like each night. The beds were comfortable and they provided plenty of pillows. The temperature controls worked well, which is important for us, since some like it warmer and some cooler. We were able to find a reasonable temperature for all and it stayed that way the entire night. I also liked that this hotel is eco-friendly. There are recycling bins in every room and in the common areas and the master switch for the lights and HVAC in the room is your room key. So when you leave to go out, it's easy to shut everything off in order to conserve energy. The bathrooms were modern and clean and there was good water pressure and plenty of hot water.

We'll be staying in Penn State several times a year, while our son is going to school there and our hotel of choice will be the Best Wester Plus.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

Thank you so much for the great review. We hope this will help everyone when making a hotel decision and they can have a great experience like you did.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a very nice hotel located just across from the Nittany Mall. We have stayed there several times and have always had a very clean room, nice ammenities and a friendly staff. We have never had a problem with noise or slamming doors. The breakfast area is clean and the hotel is more than adequate for a free breakfast.

My only complaint would be more of a question....WHY doesn't the bathroom sink have a "stopper" feature? Each time we stay there I remember that you have to leave the water running the whole time, which seems like a huge waste of resources. Other than that, I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you for the reviews of the hotel. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I also picked this hotel because we were visiting Penn State and it got the top review for the area. The check-in took longer than I was expecting and every time I needed to ask a question, there was a line at the front desk. The room was fine, clean, had a mini-fridge and microwave which I always like to have. Lots of choices for food at breakfast, including scrambled eggs and sausage (I need to have protein in the morning). Internet, however, was awful, cutting in and out every 5-6 seconds. I couldn't check my email and my son had trouble with Youtube. Even the TV picture was cutting out. Also, the hotel is not that close to Penn State, about a 10 minute drive.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Thank you for your response about liking the hotel. We are sorry that you had to wait in line and are going to take this review very seriously when putting together schedules in the future. Your time is valuable and we want to make sure you enjoy all of your time when you are in the area. As for the internet, our computer people have been contacted and have fixed a few issues in our system. I hope that during your next stay with us, we can provide you with a "loved it" experience.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I was planning a trip to Penn State for interviews with my son. I went right with the #1 pick on Tripadvisor. I was disappointed and don't plan on returning. Here's my review:

First the Positives:
Looked very new, everything was very clean and orderly. Carpeting and hallways were fresh and tidy. The staff was outrageously polite and helpful. The room was one of the best I have been in for this level of hotel. Two QUEEN size beds, plenty of room space, a mini fridge and microwave! Bathroom was clean and had everything I needed. I went with the recommendations of others and requested a top floor, end of hall room. It was certainly away from any elevator noise, but I don't think it would have been much anyway as the elevator is tucked around a corner. As for the howling wind, that was another story for noise. Breakfast was very good with a wide variety of cereals, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, potatoes, waffles, juices and coffees. The breakfast help was very nice and helpful as well - especially when it came to making the fresh waffles!

Now the Negative:
On arrival and getting out of my car, there was a horrible stench in the air. The best I can describe it was that it smelled like wet boxes that have been sitting around for days in the sun, a pungent and sickening odor. Now I am not stranger to funny smells, and especially nears farms - I know what cow manure smells like. This was nothing like that, nor did it smell like any fertilizer I have ever smelled. It almost seemed like it was from garbage. The worse part yet was that this odor permeated into the hotel and in our room. I smelled it ALL night long. This smell was no where to be found when we got on campus at Penn State so it had to be local to the hotel.

The second (and for me the MOST annoying) was the door noise. You would think that in a newer hotel, they would have doors that close securely and QUIETLY. The doors here not only slam, but they don't shut, so you literally have to yank it closed. I kept hearing doors close all night long, the last one was around 2:30 am. Now this was a Wednesday night, so they were far and few between, but I can only imagine it on a football weekend with rowdy folks coming and going all hours of the night - and at 2-3x the price. While the hotel has no control over rude or inconsiderate guests, hallway conversations are heard easily through the walls, as are, room to room conversations. I am a light sleeper, so needless to say, I got very little sleep between the doors and smell. Ear plugs are my only remedy, but frankly, if the building was designed right, and if guests were at least considerate, I wouldn't need them.

Overall, the amenities of the hotel were outstanding, and if the smell is gone on your visit and you can tolerate noise, then you will love this hotel. For me though, I am on to trying #2 on the tripadvisor list. It looks like my son will be going to Penn State, so I'll have four years to review the list of hotels in the area!

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid noise from rooms above, but it probably won't matter. Doors closing on other...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Cubmasterbill
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

We are glad to see that you had some very nice comments about the hotel. However, we are sorry to hear about the problems that occured during your stay. We would hope that you would try using us again. If you would like to contact me directly to discuss these problems further, I would be more than happy to talk to you. We appreciate all of our guests feedback.
Look forward to talking to you.
Janette

Reviewed 3 March 2012

Recently stayed one night while visiting Penn State. The front desk staff were super helpful and friendly. For example, when we asked about local restaurants, they gave us a five page printout of local restaurants, from family restaurants to elegant restaurants, and there were even helpful comments, such as "Rated most health-conscious restaurant in the area". That printout was so helpful to us!

The room (2 Queen beds) was very comfortable and I really liked the scented toiletries in the bathroom. The beds had lots of pillows. Wifi worked well.

The breakfast was displayed nicely and the woman working the area clearly took pride in keeping it well stocked and clean. She watched me taking scrambled eggs and potatoes, and she then encouraged me to try the sausages. "They're turkey sausage", she said. She actually looked like she would be disappointed if I didn't try them! (so of course, I took some). In truth, the potatoes and sausages weren't all that great, but overall, the breakfast experience was fine.

There was lots of parking and the busy center worked well when I wanted computer access. I used the hot tub. It was large and at a perfect 100 degrees. It was absolutely heavenly.

Overall, an excellent experience, and I would quickly stay at the Best Western again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Thank you so much for the great feedback. We hope that other future guests will find this information valuable. We look forward to having you stay with us again.