“Close to shopping yet with a country feel”

Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in State College
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel. I stayed just recently for two nights. The hotel is fairly new and very clean. My room was clean, the bed comfortable and the breakfast and coffee were tasty. Coffee is in the lobby all the time so that was nice. The reason I stayed here again was because of the location. This hotel is near Bellefonte, State College and the highway exit. It is also located near the mall and other fun shopping so close. The movie theater right next door to the hotel is also a plus. It is about a 10 to 15 min. drive to Bellefonte and about 10 min. from State College. There needed to be a hotel near Bellefonte and now there is. Thank you. I do want to say that I did use the exercise room this time. It is small but set up very nicely, and very clean. I used the pool the previous time I stayed and that too was really fun. I do want to comment on the HVAC system that the other reviewer mentioned. It is what works the lights and heating / cooling system in the room. The previous visit I thought the hotel hallways and room was really cold. The room key is what you put in the thermostat like box at the door to work the lights and heat. What I did this time, was I put the extra room key in the box when I got there and I just left the room key in the box the whole time I was there. I just kept turning the temp. up until I was comfortable. I did have to switch it to heat to have the room warm up. It is automatically on cool, so switch it to heat and it will warm up. I set it to 78 but it felt like 70 to 72. I didn't focus on the number displayed but on how comfortable I was. Do not be afraid to stay here. It is a great place to stay. I will stay there again when I visit that area again.

Room Tip: I prefer the Single room with the King size bed.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Thank you for the reviews. I am glad that you mentioned to future guests our proximity to Bellefonte. It is nice to be close to State College and Bellefonte both during a visit to the area. This is very useful advice for others. Thanks again and we will see you soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed there on 5/9/13 for business. Typiclaly Best Western is not on the top of the list because most of their properties are older, I must say I was pleasantly suprised. The room was spottless, the entry and desk area was clean and inviting, the check-in staff was super friendly and helpful. I sleep on a foam mattress at home therefore I don't sleep well on a hotel mattress, not the case here, the bed was great.

They have an indoor pool, hot tub, and excercise room (although sparse like most hotel chains), and even a little bit of food available for you to microwave if needed. They offer a free somewhat full breakfast, but I did notice that many of the people eating there appeared to be staff mingled in with the customers. Not bad, beats a continental breakfast any day.

The location is very good, I typically ask for a room opposite the highway, not an issue here, quiet no matter where the room is located. I had booked 1 king bed, they gave me a room with 2 queens and a pull out couch, a small seating area and a microwave and frig. BTW, the frig is quiet, I can't say the same for many of the places that I have stayed.

My only difficulty was the HVAC system in the room. Being in the HVAC controls industry I understand the purpose and the need, you would think that makes me qualified to operate it, unfortunately their system is whacky. You slip a card in the slot after you enter the room ... easy. As soon as you do that the lights come on and the HVAC system is enabled. Upon arrival I noticed that the setting was 72, much too high for me, I set it for 68 and eventually up to 70. When you come in the room for the first time the HVAC system is OFF, therefore you have no idea if the setting will be comfortable or not. I checked in after 8pm and went to dinner, the room had not normalized until I went to sleep, unfortunately too late to be comfortable. It seemed unusally cool and by the time I woke up I could have hung meat in there! I had to turn on the heat to get warm in the morning. When you adjust the temp at night, the screen does not light up, you have to turn on the hall light when you're half asleep. If you leave the bathroom door open, it blocks the thermostat and may somewhat effect it, therefore you leave the bathroom door closed but you run the risk of feeling the wall to find the knob in a half comatose state in the middle of the night. The gentleman at the check-in does have a mockup on the wall and he shows you how to use it before you get in your room, I just think it may be a crappy system. Would I let this stop me from going back.. absolutely not! This is a great property and a very good price, just be aware and adjust your temperature accordingly.

I did read a comment about the toilet flush, i know what they mean, it's like a toilet on a cruise ship. Sounds like water under 120 psi as you flush, but hey, no cloggs!

Over all, highly recommended and I'm sure that I wil stay there again for business. They live up to the PLUS.

Room Tip: I really don't think there is a bad room to be had, maybe the typical things, stay away from the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for such specifics on how to help our future guests. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you come back again during your next trip to the area.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Location was perfect; close to Penn State yet easy access back to highway to head home after a fun filled informative day and a half. The staff was very welcoming and our room request was honored. (We like the quiet room.)

The rooms are very clean and water pressure in shower was awesome. Beds and pillows are super comfy. The fitness center is very clean and works well enough to get a good workout in even though it is a compact facility. Parking lot is well lit and secure. There is a movie theatre within walking distance too!

The coffee is hot and tasty. The breakfast buffet has something for everyone and the staff is very attentive to needs while having breakfast.

Overall this is a great hotel at a very fair price.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Thank you so much for the great reviews. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your quiet room and had your special requests honored. We look forward to your visit the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

My son and I stayed here for one night (a weeknight) as part of a visit to Penn State.

The room: The room was large and clean, with beds that are above-average in comfort for a moderately-priced hotel chain. My only complaint about the room is that the temperature seemed to fluctuate quite a bit during the night. I can't comment on the noise (from other rooms and from the hallway) mentioned by other reviewers, since I don't think the hotel was very full on the night we stayed.

Amenities: The wi-fi is free and worked fine. The breakfast was also free (at least with our rate). If I had to rate the breakfast alone, it was good, but not great. (The muffins were packaged, and there were not many cereal options.) I can't comment on the exercise room, since we didn't try to use it. We did notice the same smell outside the hotel that was mentioned by another reviewer, but we didn't notice it inside the hotel.

All in all, the hotel was very good for what we needed. I wouldn't mind staying here again, but might also want to check out other options if I'm back in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for the advice for others on Trip Advisor. We are glad to see that you had a nice, comfortable stay and will see you again during your next trip to the area.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

We stayed here for four nights. The hotel staff was very nice. The hotel is new and very clean. We found it hard to sleep on the beds. Mattresses seemed hard. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything from the neighbors. My wife could hear the person next door going to the bathroom. The toilet flush scares the heck out of you. It think it could suck down anything. Luckily we only had people next door for one night. Can't image what it would be like for a football weekend. The breakfast was just OK. not a lot to choose from. The yogurt was only full fat. No light. 3 cereal choices. The exercise area was poor. The two treadmills didn't work properly. The one I was on only went up to 4.7 mph and my wife's said it was going fast, but it wasn't. the location is good when visiting the area. But, we won't stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

We are sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Our selection at breakfast is typically filled with more than 3 types of cereal. We appreciate your suggestion on possibly having a light and full fat version of yogurt. We try to please every guest and do hope that you would give us another chance. Please feel free to call management directly to discuss other issues.

Reviewed 21 March 2013

Spent 2 nights here during our family Spring break on a visit to take the kids to go see Penn State University, and I couldn't believe the experience. New hotel - the receptionist said it was 3 yrs old- seemed newer to me. Service was great, couldn't have asked for anything better. Good value for the price we paid.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs are quieter
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

We are so happy to hear that enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having you when you are in the area the next time.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
bwupsales, Director of Sales at Best Western Plus University Park Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013