“Got a bad room. Stay off the first floor.”

Holiday Inn Express State College, Williamsburg Square
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in State College
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Got a bad room. Stay off the first floor.”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

First let me say, I am an IHG Rewards Club Platinum Member (used to be Priority Club) and, so I try to stay at IHG hotels when I can. Rarely have anything negative to say about them. Here's one time I have to. If you book here avoid a room on the first floor, especially one near the side door. Our room was extremely drafty. Sitting on the potty you had to put towels under the door or it would blow right up you-know-where. Yikes! Could not quite figure out where all the draft was coming from (not the window). Since it was extremely cold during our visit to State College, we cranked the heat a bit to compensate for the draft. As a result we alternated from chilly to hot depending on when the heat kicked in. Another negative was the extraordinarily low/short toilet. (To keep this a family evaluation, I won't describe how that feels. Again, yikes!) Maybe we got a room especially for children or very short people.) Really Holiday Inn should get a normal sized commode in there quick. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking hotel and the bed was terrific, lots of room and perfectly clean. Nice lobby. Nice reception at the desk. Even got a few extra points when I told them about the drafty room. So i give them 3 stars (could have been less).

Room Tip: Avoid first floor rooms anywhere near the doors.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BenJellison, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express State College, Williamsburg Square, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Bruce1944,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor about your stay with us, and my apologies the room was drafty. I do have my cheif Engineer looking into seeing what we can do as guests do use that door to enter and exit the building. I'm glad you did find the bed comfortable and the room clean and will pass that along to my housekeeping staff. I hope the next time your in State College you wil give us another try, and we will definatly keep you off the first floor. Thanks for being an IHG rewards platinum member.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Overall a nice place to stay. Convenient to the interstate and college campus. Nice selection of restaurants in the complex and the area.

Hotel staff was very pleasant and accomidating. The only issue I experienced was with the heating system. Either on or off. No fan speed selection and when on, it overtook the TV volume. Not very good for a snooze...

I would stay at this location again. Clean, friendly and a good value.

Room Tip: South end of building provides quick exit to neighboring restaurants.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
BenJellison, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express State College, Williamsburg Square, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Jack A,

Thanks for your review of our property, and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you back the next time your in State College. Have a good week.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The room was spacious. The staff was friendly. The shower head attached to the hose did not remain up so showering was not easy. The water was cold for the third shower in our room. I removed the couch pillow and under the pillow, the area was dirty and there were some food crumbs. Bed was too small for 2 people but good pillow with choice of firm and soft. WiFi code was not readily available. The hot breakfast was good and there were plenty of choices including make your own pancakes.

Room Tip: We were close to elevators and ice machine. I thought it would be noisy but it was fine.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BenJellison, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express State College, Williamsburg Square, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear AGC34,

I just read your review of our property, and wanted to offer my sincerest apologies for the issues you ran into during your stay with us. My staff and I do our best to make sure all of our guests enjoy their stay with us and apparently we fell a bit short. If you would like to discuss the matter further please feel free to call me at 814-867-1800. Thank you for your review, and I hope you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves.
Walnutport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I booked a 4 night stay at this particular hotel based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. It is located conveniently by a major highway and many restaurants are within a couple of miles. Upon check in I left them know there may be a chance I need to leave early based on issues at work. The front desk associate said everything would be okay and I could even get a late check out if needed. I asked for a high floor room and was given a room on the 4th floor that was very clean and well appointed. I did end up leaving early the next day. The hotel is clean, staff is friendly and the location is excellent. If I have one complaint would be that the grounds were not kept well by the snow removal company. The north east corridor has had a rough winter so some snow is expected but much of the parking lot was still not plowed and the side walks were still covered in snow when I left at 1 pm even though it had stopped snowing hours earlier.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
BenJellison, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express State College, Williamsburg Square, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Afternoon Robbi4729,

I will definitley agree with you regarding all the snow we have gotten, my apologies that our snow removal folks were unable to clear the lots in a timely manner. I know that they have been working as hard as they can to do so. My team works hard to make sure our guests enjoy their stay with us, and I'm happy to hear that you did. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and I hope you will stay with us on your next visit to State College. Have a good weekend.
Northeastern PA
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We have been to State College many times over the past 4 years but this was the first time we stayed at this property. Given the top TA reviews we expected to leave fully pleased but apparently we caught them on a bad weekend. Good news is a good location, the room was clean, and the staff was very friendly. The bed was comfortable but needed another cover (friendly front desk took care of that). Problem was they had some sort of hot water problem so the best we could get was "lukewarm" on the first morning and "cold" on the more crowded second morning. Others we talked to at breakfast had the same experience There was no communication of a problem but when asked about it the second morning the desk clerk could only say "we are working on it." I understand problems can occur but to let the problem continue for two days and not issue some proactive communication or remediation to guests is not going to secure my next trip.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
BenJellison, Manager at Holiday Inn Express State College, Williamsburg Square, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear B_and_D_PA,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you encountered during your stay with us. I can assure you that this is not a common occurance at our property, and not something that you should expect to encounter while staying with us. Please feel free to contact me directly at (814)-867-9831 at your convenience, if you would like to discuss this further.
Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Like that they give WiFi for free and it is decent. Good morning breakfast and they start early enough for all people. Staff are friendly and with it all the time. Good location to multiple restaurants. Good job.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BenJellison, Manager at Holiday Inn Express State College, Williamsburg Square, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Timothy E, We greatly apreciate you taking the time to share your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that my staff was able to surpass your expectations. Our convenient location is certainly a perk for many travelers. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in Happy Valley. Take care.
Baldwinsville, New York
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The whole experience was extremely pleasant, the staff was very accommodating, the rooms were/are well maintained and very clean, and the breakfast was a great start to the day. I would higly recommend this hotel to any traveler who plans on staying in the State College area!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, no tip needed, stay here and you will be happy you did
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Petey31, Thank you for taking the time to write a response and share your feedback in regards to your stay with us this past weekend. We strive to provide each of our guests with the best service and a pleasant stay while at our property. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with the service and also that you enjoyed the complimentary hot breakfast we offer. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you're back in State College. Have a good day.