“Multiple pros and cons”

Penn Stater Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I had pretty consistently the same stay each of my 10 nights stay. It is very convenient if you are attending meetings or conferences to stay here. The parking is easy, safe and free. I stayed in 3 separate rooms on 3 separate floors over the three weeks I was there. The first room was dirty with left over peanuts on the floor and cobwebs under the dresser. I called the front desk to ask for cleaning. I stayed for 2 nights and housekeeping never cleaned up the peanuts from the floor. My friend picked up a glass to drink out of there was approximately 1 inch of dust in the glass. That room was quiet through. The second room the next week was an adjoining room. Also dusty and dirty with worn furnishings. I could hear every conversation that my neighbors were having next door through the adjoining door. I slept very little that week there due to the loud neighbors and poor room arrangement. The following room the next week also was adjoining with the same experience. I heard a phone ring and thought it was my own. If you are on business, the work area is tight and difficult to utilize.

The physical location of the hotel is far from desired items like downtown or Atherton st. I didn't mind that because the shuttle was very nice. The shuttle driver was very personable and gave great recommendations for dinner. The front desk staff the first two weeks were wonderful and helpful. Good short running path nearby for runners. Did not try the pool or fitness center. No outdoor pool.
The conference facilities are nice and the support staff for them are wonderful.

I went to Legends twice for a working dinner. Both times, the wait staff seemed like they hadn't worked larger crowds before or we overwhelmed. The second time I waited 20 minutes until I asked the bartender for a waitress.The food was ok once it came and appropriately priced. I would eat there again but only with a lot of given time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank getmeoutofthistown

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I do a lot of conferences at State College and like to stay at the Penn Stater whenever possible. It's a big place so sometimes you walk quite a distance from the front desk but the rooms are great and the service attentive. Shuttle service downtown makes up for some limited restaurant choices. Plenty of parking. The setting around the hotel is beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Went to Penn Stater for a business show. Everything was very nice. Good food, nice rooms. Great place to stay for Penn State football games! Convenient to many areas in State College. It is convenient to the Interstates, many restaurants. Convention area was nicely adorned.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My son and I spent 2 nights here this week. From the moment we arrived till we left, we were satisfied with everything this hotel had to offer. Upon arriving to State College, the hotel arranged their van (for free) to meet us at the airport and take us back to the hotel. The driver Steve was kind and helpful. The staff was very friendly upon check in and assured us if we needed anything they would be more than happy to assist. Even had a room ready for us even though we came early. The lady at the front desk gave us a list of restaurants in and around town we could eat during our stay. The room was huge, clean (including bathroom) and we had an awesome view of the mountains. Only thing about the room that I suggest is replacing the sofas. Looked old and stained and I wish the pillows were a little softer. But other than that, the room was awesome. We arrived around 2pm and were starving after a long flight, so we decided to eat at the Legends Pub inside the hotel. All I can say was- it was well worth starving for. My son loved the Penn Stater Burger! The fries were awesome! Staff friendly. The next morning we ate breakfast at the Gardens Restaurant (also inside the hotel). My son had the breakfast buffet and was satisfied with a good selection of eggs, bacon. pancakes and fresh juices. If my son decides to go to school at Penn State in the future, we will surely be coming back to the Penn Stater!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Penn Stater Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience - and for giving us the opportunity to have you as a guest during your visit to Penn State! Best of luck to your son in his college decision...if he does choose to become part of the Penn State family, or for any upcoming trips to Happy Valley, we will look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Really enjoyed my stay here. Was here for a conference, which they always do an amazing job with. Our stay was wonderful. Loved the room, nice and clean and the maid service was great. Every staff member we encountered here was so nice and cheerful. They are willing to help with whatever you need. Looking forward to staying again next conference time!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed at the Penn Stater in April 2012 as I was attending the PHIMA Convention. The room was very clean and well appointed. To start, there is plenty of parking on site which was nice. Check in was quick and efficient, even allowing for an early check in. The Wifi connected well in-room too. The Conference Center was well cared for, and the food was good. The quiet relaxation lounge was a nice touch. The only pitfall during my stay was the in room blow dryer that started smoking when I used it getting ready in the morning. Since I had only stayed one night, I let the front desk know when I checked out and was told they would have a maintenance person replace it ASAP.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I am here for the National Autism Conference and could not wait to share my thoughts of the Penn Stater Conference Center and Hotel. From the time I checked in, the guest services has been amazing. Front desk was awesome! Bellman services were not expected, but a gentleman appeared out of no where and helped me with my luggage. My room is a king standard room with a GREAT view....beautiful PA mountains and Beaver Stadium! As a Penn State fan, I am in my glory here. Housekeeping services are on the ball! My room is very clean and well taken care of daily. Everyone is friendly as well. The room service was top notch and right on time. The food is very good at both the Legends Bar and The Garden. The conference service is top notch as well...always snacks and drinks available during sessions and breaks. The bagged lunches aren't too bad either. Fitness room is well taken care of and my heart was warmed when I saw they employ people with disabilities!!!!!!! That raises them a bar above the rest in my book!!!!!!! All Around Great Place! WE ARE!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 5th floor in the lower even numbers for a good view....