“Nice place, out of the way”

Penn Stater Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Nice place, out of the way”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I were attending a banquet, so we booked a room for the night. The hotel is modern, but looks like a Penn State dorm from the outside. Efficient check in and a quick elevator ride took us up to our room. It was two double beds with a couch and comfortable chair. The bathroom was spacious and clean and there was a bar sink on the outside.
Checkout was simply dropping off the room keys, again very efficient.
The banquet facilities were OK. Food was decent and drinks at the cash bar were reasonably priced.
Only complaint was that the hallways were noisy at night as the hotel was hosting a couple of wedding receptions and some of the guests were pretty loud going back to their rooms.
Also, if you're going anywhere on campus or in town, you will need to use your car or a shuttle bus. With the exception of Innovation Park, this place is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. The football stadium and basketball arena could be reached on foot if you need the exercise.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have a nice view of the woods.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

A solid boutique property, very near the heart of campus. Comfortable beds and good HVAC system. Not walking distance to anywhere! Not near town, so a car is required. They do offer a shuttle service, but I did not use it. Staff were frazzled by minor requests, like late checkout.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I want to commend the staff at the penn stater even during their busiest weekend..college graduation....they were on top of everything...wheelchairs, room concerns and even when I left some behind...they were cheerful, helpful and followed through to the letter!~!! I especially want to commented Katie C. for going that extra mile for me....if I am ever in the area....I will be sure to go back...atmosphere and everything you need at your fingertips!! thx...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Penn Stater Conference Center, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
We are so grateful to have had the opportunity to share such a special occasion with you! Thank you for the kind words about our team - we will be sure to share them! We appreciate you sharing your experience and hope to see you again soon.
Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband and I are sticklers about cleanliness, a good night's sleep, and not to mention a feeling of comfort and security. Penn Stater offers it all. Check out the architecture and gardens!
The convenience to the main highways is a plus. Didn't have a problem locating the hotel at all. Signage is good.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and roomy. A/C is very quiet. perfect.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Now that Summer is here, the Courtyards are some of our favorite places on property - I'm glad that you enjoyed the view! Thank you for taking the time to give others your opinion of the property; we appreciate your vote of confidence!
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Don't expect much if you stay here. What bothered us the most was how unfriendly the staff were. We always love visiting Penn State because people are so friendly there. So it was additionally disappointing that the check in staff were so snooty. They just couldn't be bothered with saying hello or being nice. Also, the room was not cleaned well. It was such a sharp contrast to the Nittany Lion Inn, where we usually stay. Definitely won't be staying here again.

2 Thank mtd143
I am so sorry to hear that you had a less than stellar experience with our team members! It is certainly our goal to give a wonderful experience to all of our guests and I apologize that this was not your experience. I assure you that this is not the norm for our guest experience and truly hope that we may have another opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations. We do appreciate the feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your concerns.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed in the Penn Stater for a meeting at Penn State. The hotel is very nice (clean, modern, great shower), with beautiful gardens surrounding. HOWEVER, it took me about an hour on two occasions to get the (free) ATT WiFi working. I called the Help Desk and after 10 minutes the technician pretty much said "you're on your own". On one occasion I went to the lobby and logged in; things subsequently worked in my room. On another occasion, I just let my computer sit and after about 5 minutes the login spontaneously activated. I've not had this level of trouble in more than 10 years. The hotel staff were sympathetic,but there was little they could do. Except for the WiFi, I give the place high marks.

Room Tip: There are two elevators; the halls are long. Ask the check-in person for something near the elevato...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Browns Mills, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel and conference center knows what they are doing! The staff was friendly, courteous and very helpful. The food served at the conference was fabulous. Highly recommend if you are planning a business meeting or conference.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business