“Don't Be Led Down The Garden Path”

Hilton Garden Inn State College
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in State College
Reviewed 26 June 2014

In a college town (Penn State University) hotels often show signs of wear and tear. Not this hotel. A second pleasant surprise was the meeting space and the attentive food service personnel who tended to the needs of our small group of eight.

The room was clean and quite by accident I parked at the closest door! The halls were quiet and I did not hear any noise form the fitness room or pool which were immediately across that tranquil hall.

The restaurant - operated by a different entrepreneur was OUTSTANDING. (See separate review). The restaurant "catered" our group lunches & breaks. The restaurant was also the venue for the "included in the price - please don;t tell me its FREE" buffet breakfast. It had the basics and real SERVERS cleared the tables!

My support person goofed on my reservation and neither the front desk nor Hilton Rewards could undue the misallocation of the program points. This was a disappointment, not a disaster.

I was at this property as a meeting participant, but when wearing my meeting planner hat and in need of a Center County venue for a small group, I would definitely look here.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room - close to the elevator. You can park near your room and ride the elevat...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The location of this facility is ideal to Beaver Stadium, the Bryce Jordan Center and especially Pegula Arena. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well furnished but the in-room Jacuzzi is VERY difficult to get into for anyone under 5'9".

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
growell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

It is nice to learn you enjoyed our facilties and found them to be comfortable, clean and well furnished. As well as being close and convienant to Bryce Jordan Center and Beaver Statium, we are also close to all downtown activites and The PSU campus. Thank you for staying with us and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Provide all amenties at hotel such as; restuarant, pool/tub, mini store, fitness, and shuttle to take you to downtown and Penn State. Especially in the room; do not need to pack much for couple days such as hairdryer, iron, shampoo/conditner, soap (all are neutrogena, wonderful product). Stayed there couple times every year since I started working for state of PA- never had an issue or concerns about my stay or the hotel atmosphere. Very friendly and accommodating; they were able to provide accessible room with wake up alert system for deaf guests.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for sharing you recent experience at our hotel . We are pleased to hear we were able to meet all your needs during your visit. Thank you also for being a loyal customer over the years. We will look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I will start this review by saying that for this trip, I was NOT a business traveler. I can see why this hotel would attract business travelers, as it is in a good location and is a "no fuss" place where someone could go from their room to their car very quickly.

Now the negative:

- The hotel is built on a hill, so the entrance is actually on floor 2. This is where my room was located. While it was nice that my room was relatively easy to get to, the elevators to get to the other floors were located almost at the back of the hotel. This meant that everyone staying in the hotel had to walk past my room. I don't know about most people but this was VERY unsettling to me.

- I was traveling with three small kids, aged 1,3, and 5, and one of the reasons that we picked this hotel was because of the pool. We visited the pool, which was a typical indoor hotel pool, and were astonished by how filthy it was. There were large puddles on the pool deck (3 feet by like 4 feet) with about an inch of what I assume was pool water. Ringing the puddles was what looked like algae. It was dark green and slimy. There were about 3 of these puddles around the pool, which the largest being right at the top of the pool entrance. I had my kids walk around the puddles the best we could and found somewhere to sit. Despite us being the only people using the pool, there were about 5 used towels on various chairs and empty soda cans littered throughout the area. This was at about 6 PM, so it is likely that they only clean the area once a day (if that). We were very disappointed.

- The breakfast was the typical HGI type, with an all-you-can-eat buffet for about $12 for adults and $9 for kids under 12 (don't quote me on those figures). Being that my kids are so small, we didn't want to buy them the whole buffet and instead intended on purchasing the a la carte items that were advertised in the breakfast area and within the hotel information booklet in the room. However, once we asked our waitress about the items, she informed us that there were no a la carte items and that we would have to purchase the full buffet.

I've stayed at about a dozen Hilton Garden Inns and have always had a good experience but this one was very disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

I am so sorry you were disappointed in your stay with us. It is our goal to make sure you have the most exceptional guest experience possible. Please consider staying with us again. I am condident we can make your stay one of the best you've ever experiencrd.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

As a business traveler, I have the option to stay at most hotels available. I choose to stay at Hilton Garden Inns because of the consistent quality that I receive at every property. With my son attending Penn State University, we have stayed on this property several times. The staff is very attentive and the rooms are always immaculate. There is always complimentary coffee upon check-in and a smiling face behind the counter. The proximity to the highways and PSU make this an ideal location to visit your student in a beautiful, clean and reasonably priced option. Book your room ASAP as this property gets sold out quickly on event weekends.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
growell, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn State College, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Your comments are a wonderful testimony to our hotel facilitiesand staff. Our close location to Penn State is an additional benefit when staying with us. Thank you and keep on coming back!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Clean, friendly hotel. Good food in their restaurant and great service. Easy access to local attrations. I have stayed here multiple times and woudl recommend this hotel for business or even a football weekend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your nice comments. I am pleased to hear that you have stayed many times with us and we appreciate your loyalty. Our hotel is not only great to visit for business and football weekends, but ant time at all. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Had to make the reservations a year in advance, but other than that, very smooth sailing. Will definitely book here if I return to the area. Very quiet, even though the place was solidly booked. Very clean. Breakfast buffet was not free, but you could quickly get eggs, toast, cereal, yogurt, bacon, sausage, french toast, coffee, juice, fresh fruit, etc. for ten bucks, all you can eat. Only thing we missed was Netflix in the room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Reservations for Graduation are always in high demand. We are pleased you were able to stay with us and enjoyed your visit and our bountiful breakfast. Not sure why you missed Netflix, I will be following up on that. Thank you for saying with us.